Best way to attach WOF to trailer?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dept Of Fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best way to attach WOF to trailer?
    Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 12:27pm
Dept Of Fishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi everyone!,
Does anyone have any good ideas on how to attach your WOF sticker to the boat trailer?
I have those little plastic holders on my boat and normal garden trailer but they seem to become brittle after a year or so and can break off Confused
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 12:36pm
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I just use the double sided tape they give you and stick it to the winch post. Also fix the warrant there in one of those plastic holders.
Oh what a smasher - two eggs and a rasher!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DIY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 12:37pm
DIY View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Sorry, thought you meant the rego
Oh what a smasher - two eggs and a rasher!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 4:01pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I attach both rego and wof  to the winchpost. Dont get washed off that way
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dept Of Fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 4:51pm
Bronze
Bronze

Yes, I've stuck the rego onto the number plate with that double sided tape they give you and luckily it hasn't washed off and seems to have adhered quite well.
But I had the wof attached to the winch post in one of those little plastic holders with a cable tie.  The plastic holder got so brittle it broke off!Luckily it was in the driveway so I found the wof on the ground.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 5:01pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I had mine swiped from trailer when out fishing a few years ago now. At Shelly Beach Kaipara
It was in one of those plastic things and bolted to the trailer.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 6:02pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use keep wof/rego in wallet,never been an issue. Use to do it with motorbike as well,can produce on demand

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dept Of Fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 8:18am
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah, I've just kept the wof in the car until I can figure a better way to attach it so I might just keep doing that Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 8:42am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I had mine swiped from trailer when out fishing a few years ago now. At Shelly Beach Kaipara
It was in one of those plastic things and bolted to the trailer.

Yep had that coupe times over the yrs
 So now

I use keep wof/rego in wallet,never been an issue.

These days most cop cars have very detailed rego info from computer databases at finger tips. So if following you, run the rego , it comes up if has WoF Rego. Thu legally , it should be displayed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 1:21pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

. Thu legally , it should be displayed.

I was just about to say something until I saw this :-)

Its really at Police descretion to fine you our not even if they know it is complied, it needs to be visibly displayed.

Unfairly that means they keep getting nicked by thieves.

I wish they could print to some kind of durable but biodegradable product which could be glued on so all thieves could do is chip pieces off, unable to remove whole. It seems obvious aquatic reg and wofs require different print materials.

But on a cynical note this would mean more cost to change printing techniques and less Police infringement revenue. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 8:03am
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I use clear self adhesive vinyl and "laminate" them to the trailer. Harder to nick and is pretty waterproof.

A signwriter or signwriter / digital print supply company should be able to provide enough to last you for years at minimal cost.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Craigo 90 mile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 8:20am
Craigo 90 mile View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Good luck not displaying your WOF or rego on your trailer at half moon Bay boat ramp.x2 tickets if they are in your wallet
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dept Of Fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 8:25am
Bronze
Bronze

Yeah, I don't have any issue with the rego label.  I stuck that to the number plate with the double sided sticky tape thingy they give you with it.  It gets dunked in the water every time I launch and retrieve and seems to survive that no worries!!!

Dagwood, when you say you "laminate" the wof sticker to your trailer, which side is visible?  Don't they need to be able to see both sides of the wof?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 8:38am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good luck not displaying your WOF or rego on your trailer at half moon Bay boat ramp.x2 tickets if they are in your wallet

That is a very good point...Thumbs Up
I did not even consider public ramps  espec those around the city ..

Side story.. Some yrs back with the 69 Camaro (left hook) the legislation itself said the WoF for cars had to be displayed on the "Drivers Side"  and the WoF regulations "right side"
 A few times got a bluey as I had mine in "drivers Side"
And funny thing is Parking wardens/ police are meant  to work off the legislation, not the WoF manual.

I do not know how the legislation stands now thu, or if the WoF manual has been brought into line with legislation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 8:53am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Craigo 90 mile Craigo 90 mile wrote:

light board is in back of ute so might as well give a ticket for not displaying plate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 8:58am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It happened in Beachlands a few years ago. Cop turned up, dished out multiple tickets for no reg/wof being displayed. All of them had trailer boards in the back of their vehicle.
The fines stuck, failing to display.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 9:11am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Originally posted by Craigo 90 mile Craigo 90 mile wrote:

light board is in back of ute so might as well give a ticket for not displaying plate

Thats another quirk of legistation..
 Light boards are only legal while fixed to the trailer on public land.
 As soon as it is no longer fixed, the trailer is no longer WOF able as has no lights etc...then we add the rego plate , registration and WoF stickers is absolute to the matter.
 Same thing applies if have lights and/ or plates etc attached to boat.. take boat off.. trailer now illegal in the parking lot.

Now comes the argument as per WoF manual.. Says lights etc must be displayed as far to the rear as possible and on the outside edges as possible.
On boat trailers in most cases the only reasonable place maybe the mudgaurds, thu a WoF inspector may ask you to weld a plate at the rear, which in many cases then interferes with launching (not practical as per manual.. or may even require a position that extends outside the trailer width.. illegal and dangerous.

So this leaves mudgaurds in most cases.
 Screwing rego plate on , I use SS screws preferable with star drives, and super glue the nut on the back.
Next to the lights.

The Wof 'inspectors who may pull you up on the lights on the guards will most properly miss your un speced  Stainless shackle.Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 4:39pm
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Dept Of Fishing Dept Of Fishing wrote:

Dagwood, when you say you "laminate" the wof sticker to your trailer, which side is visible?  Don't they need to be able to see both sides of the wof?

I display the side with all the detail. My argument would be that only only 1 side is visible if I was using one of those holders anyway and that would be hard to read as they go all hazy within a year or two.

If a cop want to know more - I'm sure their system is better than Carjam..

That said Cops probably aren't our major challenge - more likely a council revenue collector armed with a hi-viz and a clipboard.

Been doing it for years and no issue so far... 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dept Of Fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 8:41am
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Dagwood Thumbs Up,
That makes sense and I think I will do the same.
Cheers to all for your input.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 9:13am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Conservation came up yesterday..
 One of the guys, for yrs , just paints on polyurethane with bit rag, puts the Wof on then another coat over the top.
Over the old stickers.
Page  12>