Push boat by hand, tight space slight incline?

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 6:11am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I think Kitno  has the answer Fiz!
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 10:01am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

I think Kitno  has the answer Fiz!

Yes I do like that haha.

I remember my first go at Hele fishing was with the guys on the shore, fantastic way to get to the bricks.

Speaking of, Im now looking for an Ally pontoon to get to rock platforms like flat rock etc.

I like Osprey and Senator as they have deep V transoms for an ally pontoon hull and for a small boat they provide less tooth loss than most flat bottomed tinnies.

It wlll be great to have some wind protection again, especially in the colder months after spearing in 15deg water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 10:02am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We had a similar issue with our last home.. 5.5m Commander Approx 1300kg on trailer. A 55m drive, then a tight S bend.. then could maneuver the boat in beside the shed with tne big horn.. on a 7 point turn..IF stuck every marker point from S bend correct...

We tried a Honda ATV.. but had traction issues on the concrete when backing and turning the boat into beside the shed.. and not a tight turn.
The neighbours little digger worked a treat on the digger arm as did the bobcat with ball on the front.
 The old bradford with tow ball on tne front worked ok, but was a bit hard on the clutch to do too often.

In the end we got an old Yamha14 hp tractor unit..that used to be a lawnmower, then used to launch boats at the batch sort thing. Some traction issues but an extra person sitting on the mud guard helped, and the very low gearing got around the turn uphill. $150 off trademe.

Now moved we still have the tractor, dont use it.. has leaking axle seal and brakes has always been but dodgy. The low gear ratios sort that out fine.
Engine fires every time

We looked at the movers but like the ATV get a slight slope and turn going up huge traction issues.

You will be suprised thu If with a bit of practice (lot fishing trips) if figure out your markers , when to turn and how much, hit them each time spot on , just howceasy it can get to back a boat into an awkward place.

Here has taken near on a year to back up drive, on the right line (wrong line by 350mm will screw up about 3 stages ahead)
Start turn slow when Im nearly at front steps, around a blind cnr,  slowly  increasing the turn,
Mmiss the garage window with trailer lights by 100mm (I did break it a while back) on the blind side (right)..
Start to straighen the trailer at a mark on the fence.
 Carefully watch the front fender doesnt hit the fence.. (150mm)...
Back up till level with cnr fence on the truck.
 Make sure jockey wheel down facing the right way , so boat rolls backwards about 100m when unhitched..not sideways into the bumper.

What you use to back up with (tow vehicle ) makes a huge difference.. IE a bighorn or SSangyoug are shorter distance from ball to rear axle and have excellent turning circles.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 10:13am
Moots View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

$300K below RV - is that the expected RV in 2030?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jiggity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 10:43am
Jiggity View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

My grandfather modded his ute with a drop in tow bar on the front for maneuverability of trailers an boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dept Of Fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 10:59am
Dept Of Fishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Where there is a will you will find a way.  I have to maneuver my boat (580 Fyran Horizon) in and out of our back yard using a rope to the car with someone steering the boat on the jockey wheel.  Makes it a two person job.  One hint I've learnt is to connect the tow rope to the center of the axle on the trailer as this makes it much less effort to steer when navigating a slope!  Good Luck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 11:01am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Here has taken near on a year to back up drive, on the right line (wrong line by 350mm will screw up about 3 stages ahead)

Luckily mine is generously wide and pretty much straight, just long and steep for the first half. But Im still expecting it to take a while whether reversing or putting a tow tongue on the front.

I think the easiest way will be to drive it up and unhitch it in front of the garage, then turn it around 180 deg and with manual dolly like the one Unc inkked start pushing it toward the Park A I want to use, I can then reverse the car onto it and reverse it into place.

A bit of fluffing about but that will be the least fluffing, but still plan to practice reversing it up the drive and maybe getting a second front tow bar in time.

Did Practise make perfect for you Steps? :-). Here is hoping for me.

Originally posted by Moots Moots wrote:

$300K below RV - is that the expected RV in 2030?

One just will never know what 2030 will look like until we there, this year already had RV's scrapped by council, although they are expecting median to be $3m by 2040 (they being some RE economists)

End of day, MV, or what you personally perceive via much current and historical sales figures to be Market Value that is far more important. RVs should not really be used in Real Estate propaganda but they are. And many people try to sell property based on this inflated figure. Is ok in a bouyant market but the last 4 years prior to covid have been an up and down seasonal change but overall flat line.

If extending the garage out to double would add value I would do it. :-). 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 2:56pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just as well you didnt buy the 40 footer you were talking about months ago,enough issues with 4m.
If its going to be such a struggle why not park it at one of those storage places??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 4:07pm
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I reverse my 4.6m tinny about 50m up my driveway, that includes an almost 90 degree bend 2/3 of the way, up a steep slope the last 15m and then a neat little kink into my property. Practice makes perfect and I've only hit the fence at my property entrance once in 15 years.

Yours should be a piece of cake at 23m and straight.
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 5:40pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

Perfect

heli fishing?
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 9:10pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nothing to add except the force you need to apply will be boat+trailer weight times the sine of the angle. 15 degrees sounds excessive. That’s almost a 1 in 4 slope. About 26% of the weight required to push it assuming the surface is smooth and no friction. Buy with that in mind.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 10:22pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for the physics one way. Its 5 degrees on one side and 10 degrees on the other, so not too bad.

Drive is 70m and first 40m is extremely steep.

Its all good now, Ive realised Unc's dolly will fix it if I want to push it into place as less than 10 degrees is not bad with a dolly vs a jockey wheel which has a mind of its own. Otherwise Im just going to reverse it up the drive, main issue is people popping out of nowhere but should be ok. 

Thanks to the positive people on here for helping with various ways they do it and tools for moving by hand, my first thread in 9 months and the help and positivity on here triumps yet again. Thumbs Up

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 8:37am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My grandfather modded his ute with a drop in tow bar on the front for maneuverability of trailers an boat.

That applies to duel axle..Thumbs Up
 which I should have mentioned in post above..
Putting aside traction issues
The digger  we could lift weight off the front wheels and then turn like a single axle.
 The bob cat could either lift or drop the ball height , also putting the trailer as if a single axle
The little yamha tractor, fixed height, we made so front axle was not quite on the ground.
You do not need the tyre right off the ground, just enough to have  most of the weight off it

And a side note, one can change a rear wheel , sometimes by dropping the ball/ jockey wheel , but may not be enough (doesnt drop to the ground)
 And Can change a front axle wheel by lifting the jockey wheel...but may not be enough to slide it on the studs pumped up..

Also if thinking on a duel axle , increasing towing weight on the ball, moving the boat forward often makes no difference. Issue usually is the ball height on the tow vehicle.
One can move the boat/ load forward an inch, with only a 5/10kg increase if that... but increase ball height 35mm will change from around 12kg to 85/90 kg

Changing hitch height makes some dramatic differences in reversing , and hitch weight
 Even choosing between lifting front or rear axles makes, but less dramatic , difference in how turns revering

Oh another thing espec on duel axle trailers, is the rear wheel alignment..should be neutral to toe out, not in like the front axle. The rear axle is your 'steering' axle  when reversing.

Just a bit of stuff/ info some ppl  may like tuck away for future reference.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 1:10pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

My grandfather modded his ute with a drop in tow bar 
Oh another thing espec on duel axle trailers, is the rear wheel alignment..should be neutral to toe out, not in like the front axle. The rear axle is your 'steering' axle  when reversing.

Just a bit of stuff/ info some ppl  may like tuck away for future reference.

Thanks Steps, appreciate your knowledge and help.

And thats what Forums are all about, creating a Knowledge base.

People should never be afraid to ask questions or have an opinion, you will always get those that do not contribute and just heckle from the sidelines.

Back to what you were saying about angles/height and moving, this might apply to using the Manual Dolly that Unc linked (which many people on youtube have modified to be a motorised one instead of paying $2500 for one).

The jockey wheel imo is only good for hitching and possibly changing a tire like you said, as for moving by hand it has a mind of its own and the unlike a manual dolly when you go to push the random nature of a jockey wheel hinders more than helps. Is fine if just shuffling around in a big garage.

If just shuffling around in the Garage, a power jockey wheel is fantastic tool, and most work on slopes to 5deg and one I found to 7 deg, I had a reply saying the 7 deg one should work for me, however they are not fast enough for moving trailers, just adjusting their place in tight spots.

Getting back to what you are saying Steps. One of best Trailer Dolly's we do not get here is the "Top Tuff", however Repco have a copy of it. Here is a normal Dolly, then the Top Tuff like one, which has an extra wheel, along with the Ball being height adjustable, which using your advice could give an advantage in being more freely maneuverable.

Normal Dolly $100

"Tuff Trolly" Copy $200

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 9:20pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I can post questions if I like, if you dont like it, simply dont read them, block me from your viz. Digging up 1 extra post made within the space of 4 days to prove a point is just miserable and negative/pointless. 

Again, to the positive people, thank you for responding with a lot of extremely helpful posts. This will be useful for other people in tight parking areas.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 10:26pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The seat doesn't look very comfortable. But I suppose there's less chance of falling off.

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 1:28am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

mate are you on shore ... if you are. I  can come round and give you an opinion based on having a few boats in family over 35 plus  yrs plus, including one same heavy 16 footer f-mker stabi (luv her)  for last 20 yrs. I sort of know this stuff. It’s actually mind fk if your bit uncertain.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 5:46am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Lets keep on topic guys there is some good stuff here after all and a reminder to be respectful.. Got to admit Kitno's last couple of posts were pretty funny though.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 7:46am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good on Fiz for asking the question. A driveway like that can seem a bit intimidating if you haven't attempted it before. Personally, a little stabi like you mentioned, I'd just back it all the way up.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 8:43am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good on Fiz for asking the question. A driveway like that can seem a bit intimidating if you haven't attempted it before. Personally, a little stabi like you mentioned, I'd just back it all the way up.

What I cant figure out thu is to even consider those dollys above with a slopeDisapprove
Even my house trailer would be.. forget the would, will be impossible and thats MT.
Page  <1234>