Push boat by hand, tight space slight incline?

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pompey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 4:29pm
pompey View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like a really nice house and aspect but not built and developed with boat parking in mind. You must have bought really well to have got the place so much below CV, good on you. 
Is storing a boat somewhere handy an option?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 4:45pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pompey pompey wrote:

Sounds like a really nice house and aspect but not built and developed with boat parking in mind. You must have bought really well to have got the place so much below CV, good on you. 
Is storing a boat somewhere handy an option?

To be fair Auck was already so over inflated, I just timed a lull and find highly motivated sellers who had already bought elsewhere and were moving 2 weeks prior to me moving in, got to find motivated vendors always. Now over inflated beyong a joke is Welli and even more so Dunedin, which I expect to see massive drops in price. 100k people and minimal solid 6 figure incomes, Auck at least has that and when 100k cities get close enough medians to 2M only one thing can happen. My friend bought hers for $60k and just sold for $550k, absurd, but good for her.

So really my focus was on protecting against a major correction (even though Auck has already had a 12% correction and a 5 year lull, where other cities are yet to experience it), every house Ive bought has been pragmatically focused on protecting myself. I made a lot of mistakes in my 30s in the Aus naughties housing boom, bought boats and cars and was out whoring myself fueled by liquor. Money evaporates quick.

Yes it is one of the nicest NZ homes I have owned, but definitely werent thinking about how to park the boat in what is clearly a spot for such a thing. Annoying.

Another option is reversing the boat 70m up the hill, whilst I back my launching skills, this is would be a mamoth effort every time I want to use the boat.

Something like the old Stabi 389 fishr, with some wind protection would be nice and just the right length. Im a bit over open RIBs, they are awesome in summer but suck in winter or even Autumn. haha

But I have a budget of about $13k and I dont think Ill get the stabi for that, even though the original launched as package for $19k.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 5:19pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep- back her up. You will enjoy the aroma of burning clutch for hours afterwards if you own a manual. Low range should be ok though. Something like an FC boat seem pretty good value as far as small capable boats go and by all accounts are pretty dry. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 5:39pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Is there room or a level area where you could un-hitch the boat at the top, turn your wagon around, re-hitch the boat and drive it straight down?
Angle of drive should not be a problem as long as you can see the sides bordering the neighbors properties.
My friends drive is quite steep and narrow with vegetation both side and he seems to manage ok driving it down.

Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 5:43pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I hope you run out of topics and trivial ideas soon.

Clearly living your life requires the input of others, how do you get anything done.

If you spent more time in thinking of your own solutions rather than typing you'll be a happier person.

Not sure why so many here enable your online lifestyle.

With the best of intent, get on with life yourself and stop living it through the keyboard.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 5:46pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by v8-coupe v8-coupe wrote:

Is there room or a level area where you could un-hitch the boat at the top, turn your wagon around, re-hitch the boat and drive it straight down?

That is what Im trying to figure out, I dont have an issue driving it forward down the drive.

Same as your mate I have vegetation one side, and 4 houses to contend with if I want to reverse it UP the drive.

If I can drive toward my front stairs then veer away toward the neigbour or even my Park A that I want to use, I could unhitch the boat  and manually by hand turn it around, re hitch it and MAYBE reverse it into Park A, but it will be really tight. 

I need to know the logistics to know if its possible. If I could push the boat with a dolly into place it would be no issue, but they are $2500. 

Lots of DIY trailer motorised dollys on youtube, but Im not a welder haha. But if somebody is they can be made for far less than retail ones.

What I ideally want is the original gullwing 2m hull that everybody from sea nymph to allycraft to fish city have copied and thats the Haines 445f/r also known as the Formula 15 design.

If I could somehow get this parked, I would be the happiest man on the planet. But its heavy and thats why Im thinking a 4m tinny or RIB is my only option.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 6:33pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

I hope you run out of topics and trivial ideas soon.

Clearly living your life requires the input of others, how do you get anything done.

If you spent more time in thinking of your own solutions rather than typing you'll be a happier person.

Not sure why so many here enable your online lifestyle.

With the best of intent, get on with life yourself and stop living it through the keyboard.

Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 6:45pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I feel so damn happy today, people helping on a lifestyle offtopic forum for the first time in around 9 months, Id be so happy if it couldnt fit and I didnt ask for help Clap
Originally posted by v8-coupe v8-coupe wrote:

Is there room or a level area where you could un-hitch the boat at the top

So this is what I figure might work with up to 5m.

Drive the boat up around the bushes (purple line on the map) and then turn into either the neighbors drive or the Park A I want to use, then unhitch the boat parallel to the garage. Then get the car facing down the drive and rehitch it and back it up into that A zone, which is just wasted space currently. Painful to do every time I want to use it but cant see another option.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 7:21pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

fizz, I had similar probs maneuvering my tub under the house so I bought one of these..>>

To alleviate the braking problem, I place a tapered brick behind the inside wheel. From there it's easy to park the boat exactly where I need it.
Boat is only 4.3mtrs . 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 7:34pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What about a small post bolted into the concrete that you could install a manual trailer winch or an electric one and pull the bugger backwards up the incline.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ho Dee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 7:43pm
Ho Dee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

70 metres is not very far and its a small boat, just back the fecker up, wont take as long as all the other messing around.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 7:52pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Uncle Uncle wrote:

fizz, I had similar probs maneuvering my tub under the house so I bought one of these..>>

To alleviate the braking problem, I place a tapered brick behind the inside wheel. From there it's easy to park the boat exactly where I need it.
Boat is only 4.3mtrs . 

Thanks, thats what people are using on youtube to make motorised ones, if you have welding gear, it seems rather easy.

Do you get out wide in your boat?

Have you had to pull the boat up a small incline, if so was it hard with the manual dolly? I find pushing a boat with a jockey wheel a lot harder, I am thinking the dolly is less drag than a jockey wheel that goes all over the shop......

Im looking at 4-4.5m boats, everything from Ramcos to Stabis to RIBs. I have seen a nice Stabi 395 fishr for $15k.

My final solution would be to put a winch on my shed in Park A and winch the boat backward up the small incline, so it is ready to be towed straight out again. 

Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

What about a small post bolted into the concrete that you could install a manual trailer winch or an electric one and pull the bugger backwards up the incline.

Haha yes, see above, this is a thought, I could either attach it to my wood/metal working shed or possibly concrete it into the metal stone (its concrete up to about 5m from the shed)

Originally posted by Ho Dee Ho Dee wrote:

70 metres is not very far and its a small boat, just back the fecker up, wont take as long as all the other messing around.

That is indeed what I was considering first, Im confident with trailers but just with the steep incline I feel worried Im going to fek it up. But I suppose it would be darn good trailer skills training.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 8:10pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Electric winch and hand dolly like Unc linked, effective for him. Not sure if it will work pulling the trailer backward though, but gives some hope, maybe a normal boat winch attached to the shed will do the job?

Id like to be able to get the biggest boat possible, but I feel a 15ft RIB or boat with big beam is the way to go for inshore and slightly offshore in good weather windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpLu993c07o&ab_channel=AimeeSnoddy
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ho Dee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 8:13pm
Ho Dee View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If the easement is a reasonable width (you only have to concentrate on the drivers side) you'll get the hang of it soon enough. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 8:22pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Ho Dee Ho Dee wrote:

If the easement is a reasonable width (you only have to concentrate on the drivers side) you'll get the hang of it soon enough. 

Well the good news is if I watch the drivers side, the worst that can happen reversing is the passenger side goes into the hedges haha. Have to also watch out for my neighbours tenant (temporary) as they have small kids who could pop out. Little blighters have been running amok coming onto all our properties and running around, so I passed that on and they "seem" to have been contained. 

Here is front parking a boat, now this is not steep but its damn tight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaBOK-IK_dA&ab_channel=hoohoohoblin

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 9:40pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

To me, over that distance and angle, a towbar on the front is a no brainer.
Push it straight up the hill and into its spot.

I have a front towbar, I push a 6.8 m boat down a long but wide drive, in a side gate and in to a 3m wide parking spot between two sheds. One clean push in..

Go to a good towbar fitter and talk to them.. even if it's offset to the left a bit so you can see straight down the side of the boat.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 9:46pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Big -Dave Big -Dave wrote:

I LOVE the idea, but is it actually easier? And will having one fail my wof?

So I need two new tow bars, that could be expensive. $600 for both if Im lucky?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 10:01pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

Originally posted by Big -Dave Big -Dave wrote:

I LOVE the idea, but is it actually easier? And will having one fail my wof?

So I need two new tow bars, that could be expensive. $600 for both if Im lucky?
Yes but you saved all that money buying the house remember Wink
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 10:27pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Skoti Skoti wrote:

Yes but you saved all that money buying the house remember Wink

That is what Im telling the lady.

The money is sitting there, her argument is it is better to pay down debt when we have to sign a new term.

But Ive got $13k and I know she will put a bit in.

The decision of which boat is the most costly issue, I havnt had anything but RIBs for a long time, but Id be keen to get something stable but hammers the chop. I like Haines 445s, in tinnies there is a plethora, Mclay Sprtsman 460, Stabi 395 fishr. Now I am convinced I will overcome the driveway issue and have many ways to do it, I feel more comfortable spending the money. 

I do like a winch on the car for pulling the trailer up the beaches, but a strap and tow does the same job.

Id also like something I can get out the manukau in, Ive done it a number of times, but not in a non pontoon boat. 

So given that, I think 4.5m is the right size that will fit in the spot and be easily put in place with whatever method I find easiest.

Really appreciate everybodies input, Ive learnt a lot about winches, motorised jockeys, motorised tow tools etc and a lot about things like front tow bars. It looks so easy on youtube, just feels strange haha.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 10:43pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Perfect
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Page  <1234>