Push boat by hand, tight space slight incline?

Page  <1 234
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 9:00am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

Originally posted by v8-coupe v8-coupe wrote:

We stop on the flat unhitch the boat, he drives in, hooks up and away he goes.
His driveway is a long one down hill.
Sounds similar, mine is VERY long, 2 houses at front, 2 in middle, 2 at back, all on 800sqm sections etc. The main issue is the first incline is probably at least 45 degrees, at the top about 5-10 deg and flattens off, also the sections slope the other way as well.

So here is a rough diagram, currently we park in A and reverse to garage then drive out forward, so there is no room to reverse a boat or even 3 point turn it as it will be 9m minimum. I thought maybe I could pull in toward garage hugging the hedge then straighten into the Park A, leaving the boat sideways in front of the garage, then turn it by hand and 90 degrees and either just park it in front of garage or put it in the garage, ideally I would want to park it in Park A up on the flat leaving the garage free or to park the car in front, but I cant make the car disappear to do so, only option would be to unhitch boat just after the push, then 3 point turn the car backward to being in front of the garage, then some how turn the boat around and push it up the slight incline and then up the short 15deg incline to the flat at Park A.

This is not to scale and a bit confusing but best I could do with my limited art skills haha. Clearly the house is a lot bigger, but I wish they had made the back yard decking smaller or removed the space next to the current Garage and made a Double Garage (I did consider this but assume Im looking at $10k minimum to add another 3m of Garaging)

Sorry, I'm lost here. Why can't you just back straight up the drive and put the boat arse first in to the parking spot?
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 12:47pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by JK JK wrote:

Sorry, I'm lost here. Why can't you just back straight up the drive and put the boat arse first in to the parking spot?

JK, thats what I have resigned myself to having to do.

However I cannot park it into the single garage, there is no turn radius. Handy to have options but not needed.

Just on powered dollies for the above scenario, they are very common place now, but the bigger ones like the mightymover seem to have more grunt. Here is a kiwi hunter using his to move his boat where he has no turning radius to back it in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAhQnXohdvw&ab_channel=TCHuntingNZ

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

Good on Fiz for asking the question.

Cheers.

I did find your posts funny. 

Edit: Measured drive accurately, 90m steep slop then 30m easement minor slope to our property 120m total. Slighty under estimate at 70m lol. Reversing the car. Trucks on either side of road will make it hard to get a good turning angle. I will be blind up a drive that is used by 4 families, passenger mirror will be blocked by ferns and such growth on that side of the drive. Hopefully people honk and dont assume I have seen them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 6:20pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

including one same heavy 16 footer f-mker stabi (luv her)  for last 20 yrs. I sort of know this stuff. It’s actually mind fk if your bit uncertain.

No not on the shore, but thanks anyway Shane you are a very kind. 

Ive had a fair number of boats of the last 40 years, just not such an awkward long drive.

So your 16ft Stabi is heavy? I was considering a 389fishr or possibly a 14ft Ramco cuddy cab, the Ramco should be lighter. I really want a 445r Haines  but I dont think a heavy boat is an option. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 9:30am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I will be blind up a drive that is used by 4 families, passenger mirror will be blocked by ferns and such growth on that side of the drive. Hopefully people honk and dont assume I have seen them.

Our 55m drive had silver ferns and climbing roses, bush up each side.... With the 1st 1/4 parked cars
Backing up in straight line should not be an issue .. if cant after little practice , get someone who can.. its not PHd stuff. Even with know one else to guide
 Also as far as bushes go, you only need to seen the end of the drive.. not the end... And a pair of seceters with a little selective pruning and maintenance so never looks has been puned.

As you get close to doing the 'jack knife' you creep the boat to the opposite side, early thats a good 50m of the 70 to get that right..start a slow turn early, watch the front fender, then jack knife in . If cant get front fender clear.. Simply chock and disconnect, line up for a 2nd bite to turn in.

Had so many boats and cant back? or even able to simply look at a difficult situation, to work it out?

Sry doesnt make up or make sense.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 11:38am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

I will be blind up a drive that is used by 4 families, passenger mirror will be blocked by ferns and such growth on that side of the drive. Hopefully people honk and dont assume I have seen them.

Our 55m drive had silver ferns and climbing roses, bush up each side.... With the 1st 1/4 parked cars
Backing up in straight line should not be an issue .. if cant after little practice , get someone who can.. its not PHd stuff. Even with know one else to guide
 Also as far as bushes go, you only need to seen the end of the drive.. not the end... And a pair of seceters with a little selective pruning and maintenance so never looks has been puned.

As you get close to doing the 'jack knife' you creep the boat to the opposite side, early thats a good 50m of the 70 to get that right..start a slow turn early, watch the front fender, then jack knife in . If cant get front fender clear.. Simply chock and disconnect, line up for a 2nd bite to turn in.

Had so many boats and cant back? or even able to simply look at a difficult situation, to work it out?

Sry doesnt make up or make sense.

Just remember we all have our own things we do well, not everyone is good at backing. Including myself.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 4:24pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Just remember we all have our own things we do well, not everyone is good at backing. Including myself.

Thanks smudge. I agree, for some 120m up a busy steep driveway with kids/cars running out of nowhere might be annoying and finding other means a less dangerous/hazardous one.

Its actually 120m not 70m, updated that above as I totally underestimated it.

Its definitely not Im not capable of backing a trailer 120m.

I will only have one side mirror to view a 120m slope with 6 houses, with 8 cars and 9 kids to worry about, 4 of which think they own the drive and often pop out of nowhere as their house has no back yard (little ones)

So lets end the reversing deal there, yes its possible, but is a right PITA, not because its hard, because of the viz and neighbours/traffic. A smaller boat with no screen will increase viz like a 13-14ft runabout, but I really would have liked a 15ft cuddy cab.

However Im still considering the tow ball on front of car idea, it may work well just to drop the boat off then swap it to the front. But then so would a winch in spot a and a hand dolly (handy dolly offers less resistance than a jockey wheel)

I was just wanting to know how people move their boats into impossible parks that are literally impossible to reverse into with a car/4wd. The answer is depending on size, by hand or with dollies like the mighty mover linked in the first reply to this thread (there are a plethora of options, the quad bike was another one for people). If noone has any further methods, I think we can move on. Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 8:25am
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Seriously, the only option worth considering is a tow ball on the front, steering a trailer on the front of a car is so easy,
Drop it on the flat, spin car around , hook up and off you go. Visibility is great, responsiveness is great.
Oh, and cars tend to be lower geared in first, reverse is often higher geared. Makes backing up a slope more difficult, hard on a clutch or torque converter.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 9:28am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Its definitely not Im not capable of backing a trailer 120m.

I will only have one side mirror to view a 120m slope with 6 houses, with 8 cars and 9 kids to worry about, 4 of which think they own the drive and often pop out of nowhere as their house has no back yard (little ones)

Really? , you dont get on with any neighbours or the kids , flick $5 for them to direct?  even a 6 or 7yr old is quite competent to use as a guide

However Im still considering the tow ball on front of car idea,

Reality check, you still cant see around the boat or even the rear (Stern) cnrs.

Im by no means a good backer, in fact I would rate myself in the bottom of the ave guy.. and so do my sons.
 My 1st serious tow and reverse was a 16' 1960s caravan with only the echo of my dead dads instructions from several yrs previous. and I was 16 just got my drivers leicence.
 The tow was out of an awkward position in the back yard, 120 miles nth, on roads and hills and gravel roads Nth Auckland in the late 60s.. then a long  narrow reverse  between down between rows of caravans, then pretty much a jack knife in between 2 caravans and awainings with guy ropes.

So will give you the backing instruction that where in my head from a young teenage from my Dead Dad , several yrs before. them here for you..
 I was so inexperienced , in the process I had no idea which way to turn the steering wheel, to turn the carvan
 the caravan which way..

Get out and look at where you want to go..
Take it slow.
 If start to mess up, do not try to correct.. pull forward a couple yards, then continue.
 Turn wheel slow.
 Used idle speed and brakes, avoid the accelerator if possible.
 Dont be affraid to get out if not sure about the off side, even if someone is  directing you.

And guess what I nailed it very 1st time...

Our current drive, long back up .. must have line right, and trailer due to rear wheel alignment tends to hook right...
Figured line on drive so dont crash front fender into fence for right angle park at end..
Figured out where to start turn in relationship to drivers seat and door lock button on side of house to get around a fully blind cnr.
Have a mid way mark on the ground to aim for so dont out the trailer light thru the garage window..

It has taken me near on 2 yrs, and 1 garage (a solo day) window to be able to do the whole operation in one slow but smooth operation on a duel wheel trailer.

With all due respect, every one of the 'reasons' you have above as to why cant, stand out as excuses that I would .. well used to get, from my grandchildren.
 You havnt even borrowed a trailer , to even see if possible..yet see that it  and on top of that state your dont have the experience (yet owned lots boats) which means you cant make such a call in the 1st place.

PS my 3nd reverse (after taking Caravan home, another awkward parking position screwed up a few times before getting right..) was in a cattle truck backing the trailer then the truck upto the cattle loading thingy at Morewa freezing works... nailed that
 Back 50yrs ago days rules regulations and technology was very different to today.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 9:55am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

go with the front tow ball option,as you have a slope,as trailer goes over rise it will drop slightly out of view,yet to see trailer that wont dift even if you are straight.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishful Thinking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 2:11pm
Fishful Thinking View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Have not read the whole thread, so may have missed something.

Would a boat trailer winch on the post, dynabolted to concrete at top/back of spot A allow you to pull the trailer back into the parking spot with a second person steering using the draw bar from the front of the boat? We sometimes use one set up like that to get the boat over a lip and into a garage area at the bach when we cannot be bothered backing to jackknife it round and up and over the 90 degree turn. 
PhD: Pool Hall Diploma
Page  <1 234