Push boat by hand, tight space slight incline?

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Push boat by hand, tight space slight incline?
    Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 10:15am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Our new house has room for a boat but is up a 70m long easement/drive, at the top our house has no room to turn or reverse a boat. I will get the measurements, but I see other people with boats here sandwiched between the house and a fence, there is no way other than by hand they have pushed the boat into place.

the only issue with it is the spot I want the boat to go in is up a small (3m ~15 degrees) incline to the flat.

So I thought my options maybe limited to a small tinny or another smaller RIB (13-14ft). I figure 100-150kg for the boat and 50-70kg for the engine add some weight for the trailer, probably about 400-550kg tow weight. We did consider a jetski as we like them for tow toys with friends, but would prefer something that comfortably sits 2-3 people.

Clearly even a 6m glass boat can be pushed on a flat, the problem here is I need to unhitch it then turn it 90 degrees and push it up an incline into place.

Any tips on managing small boats into awkward spots by hand appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 10:27am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote luckydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 10:28am
luckydude View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

This is probably too spendy an answer but a smallish tractor with a ball hitch on a pallet fork works really well for that sort of thing. 

If you are handy, or can find someone handy, I bet there is a way to weld a ball onto the front of an ATV (do you guys have those?  Sometimes called quads, they are like 2 motorcycles with a seat mounted in the middle).  Most are 4 wheel drive - I'd suspect one of those would push it up the hill. 

Either way, the plus is that you are pushing the boat rather than backing it up.

Good luck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 10:51am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

Would this work?

That is a very cool product, possibly a bit pricey but you get what you pay for, I will have to measure the dimensions.

However having a google, it appears electric trailer Dolly's are quite common, thanks has given me some food for thought.

I did consider for 3 seconds using my John Deere 22" self propelled mower haha, but not sure it would pull 400-500kg, although in full tit it goes pretty damn quick.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 10:54am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by luckydude luckydude wrote:

I bet there is a way to weld a ball onto the front of an ATV

Yes indeed I have known people who use a quad to launch retrieve their boats in rural areas.

It could also be a good vehicle for getting up and down Muriwai/90 Mile when surf casting, although I can have 2 trailers. I wish I had a ute now. The Outback H6 gets up and down the beach but doesnt resolve the issue of parking the boat in tight place.

Mostly I fish 2-3km around inshore islands, but during very good weather windows I will venture out 5-10km to the worm bed spots I know the Snaps are on. I will often troll for Albies in season, I do a bit of freediving for scallies and spear off and on, thats why I have found small RIBs to be ideal, although they are very chilly in winter.

Over the years I have gone from very big boats trolling in Aus to very small boats. IMO I wouldnt enjoy going out in a 6m boat in conditions a 4m boat cannot handle (although a lot less comfort). But I dont have a choice now with the new house as I just do not have the room for a 6-7m Haines SF or similar.

Edit: Have found a 250cc quad bike with tow ball for $800, ex farm bike, but sounds like it still running fine. Would certainly reduce the total length, at minimum it would help with reversing the boat up the small incline.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 11:28am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks to MightyBoosh I have now found a plethora of electric Jockey wheels and Dolly's. $500 will move up to 2000kg, so will contact them to see if it will work with 500kg up an incline. These could be invaluable for people needing to get Boats into tight spots. If it were flat I would just push it by hand. 

If its too tight even with a powered jockey/dolley, then my only other option would be to reverse it up a 70m 40degree easement, uggh, Im not bad with trailers but that is a bit of a hassle every time I want to use the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 12:08pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You can always fit a towbar to the front of a vehicle and push the boat. In theory, you may have to remove it for WOF, but I never had an issue with mine on the front of my Isuzu.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 1:05pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Keith C Keith C wrote:

You can always fit a towbar to the front of a vehicle and push the boat. In theory, you may have to remove it for WOF, but I never had an issue with mine on the front of my Isuzu.

Yes had thought of that too, thanks.

The main issue is not having any room to turn the car to push it from the front. Have just taken some measurements so will draw up a diagram, hard to explain.

Ideally I want it up the ramp or in the garage so I can still turn the car around with 3 point turn for everyday use of the car.

It seems the 12v powered jockey or dolly will be the easiest, but price cuts into which boat I get. Also need a towbar on the outback. Use to have a LC 100 series for the old boats but neither of us drive much during the week so that went. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 1:07pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Keith C Keith C wrote:

Yup.
Fitted a tow bar to the front of a friends Ute as he had exactly the same problem.
We stop on the flat unhitch the boat, he drives in, hooks up and away he goes.
His driveway is a long one down hill.
So far he has not had an issue with warrants as he states what it is for and pushing his boat in is the only reason it is there.
Cheers.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 1:55pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by v8-coupe v8-coupe wrote:

We stop on the flat unhitch the boat, he drives in, hooks up and away he goes.
His driveway is a long one down hill.
Sounds similar, mine is VERY long, 2 houses at front, 2 in middle, 2 at back, all on 800sqm sections etc. The main issue is the first incline is probably at least 45 degrees, at the top about 5-10 deg and flattens off, also the sections slope the other way as well.

So here is a rough diagram, currently we park in A and reverse to garage then drive out forward, so there is no room to reverse a boat or even 3 point turn it as it will be 9m minimum. I thought maybe I could pull in toward garage hugging the hedge then straighten into the Park A, leaving the boat sideways in front of the garage, then turn it by hand and 90 degrees and either just park it in front of garage or put it in the garage, ideally I would want to park it in Park A up on the flat leaving the garage free or to park the car in front, but I cant make the car disappear to do so, only option would be to unhitch boat just after the push, then 3 point turn the car backward to being in front of the garage, then some how turn the boat around and push it up the slight incline and then up the short 15deg incline to the flat at Park A.

This is not to scale and a bit confusing but best I could do with my limited art skills haha. Clearly the house is a lot bigger, but I wish they had made the back yard decking smaller or removed the space next to the current Garage and made a Double Garage (I did consider this but assume Im looking at $10k minimum to add another 3m of Garaging)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 2:19pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It seems the powered Jockey Wheels have a 5deg max incline, uggh. But if you on a flat they are very handy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcxDkTU4Kmk

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 2:26pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Motorised jockey wheel would be cheapest i expect if it can handle the slope.  I looked at a dolly once for a similar situation (turning a boat then reversing in on a slope) but we bought a different house :).  15 degrees is a fair slope though

You could try a scale plan of the section, boat, car, turning circle etc - cut them out in paper and move it round, see how it works.  Done that as well!

Cut down those bushes to make more room?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 2:50pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by brmbrm brmbrm wrote:

15 degrees is a fair slope though

Cut down those bushes to make more room?

I cant cut down the bush but I do plan to trim it back and not worried if I run through it a bit haha.

So I took my phone bubble measure out, works out the drive to the garage steepest section is 6.7 degrees.

The Plan A spot for the boat varies from 5 degrees close to the house to 10 degrees where it drops off.

Ive seen some powered dolly's for $600 that quote they work up to 7 degrees, it may just work, even the normal motorised jockey wheels all quote 5 degrees and thats on 2000kg glass boats, I wont be pushing much weight so one might JUST work.....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pompey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 3:05pm
pompey View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Is possible to turn toward your garage, going as far as you can, then reverse into your neighbours driveway, then drive forwards into your driveway, then reverse into spotA ?
Obviously not with a 6m boat but maybe a 4m ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 3:05pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by FizFisho FizFisho wrote:

The main issue is not having any room to turn the car to push it from the front. Have just taken some measurements so will draw up a diagram, hard to explain.

We unhitched on the road and pushed it up the drive.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote slayliner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 3:16pm
slayliner View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sounds like she picked the house 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 3:20pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by slayliner slayliner wrote:

Sounds like she picked the house 

Absolutely!  We bought 6 months ago.  My requirements were 
(1) decent boat access, including garage
That was all

She had a load of other stuff, but I didn't pay much attention
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 3:22pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by pompey pompey wrote:

Is possible to turn toward your garage, going as far as you can, then reverse into your neighbours driveway, then drive forwards into your driveway, then reverse into spotA ?

Wonder if driving straight into boat park area, then unhitch boat, rotate and push boat into garage area, reverse car out then manhandle boat again into the boar park area: I think thats what you meant in the early post FF?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 4:08pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pompey pompey wrote:

I really wish so :-(, thats where the drawing not being to scale doesnt show how little room there is, Ive tried to add the important dimensions. 

It is 8m from the garage to the side of the easement, so even if I turned toward garage, the boat would still be on the drive and not close to straight to be able to jack knife it into a bit of the neighbours drive. 

I was thinking if I had some kind of powered Dolly I could park it semi side on to the garage if I hug the bush, then unhitch it and then do what you are suggesting being only 5m or so not 9-10m. Or I could unhitch it, park it in my drive, or I could possibly use the garage, but pushing a boat up a 7 deg ramp by myself or even with the mrs might be a struggle. 

My last RIB was a 15ft Caribe, fantastic go anywhere dive boat but for some reason was hard to move around even on the flat. Had a solid Dunbier trailer with bearing buddies and were in good condition. I may have to give up on a glass hull even on a RIB.

Sucks as I have a lot of space in Park A, easily enough for a 7m boat. I just have no turning circle.

The neighbour likes to use my garage slope to reverse into to get out, which I do too, so if he wants to keep using it, he may have to let me use his drive way to pull into then do a hard right hand down to jack knife it toward Park A. Its 9m from the bush to the end of the easement at his side,  so 1m more I can at least turn it in toward the garage, but its a very very tight fit at 2.5m door.

Gorgeous house, 10 years old, new carpet, new $50k motorised kitchen and island granite counters etc, HRV and cooling, Gas heating, freshly painted inside as old colours were horrid, all James Hardie stuff and arhitect designed/Project managed, gorgeous huge decking out the back with a massive old Pohutukawa with Tuis nesting in it, fantastic professional landscaping and planter boxes everywhere, sea views, all that stuff. I actually bought it as I got it for $150k below MV and $300k below RV, I saw Park A and thought it would be ok, so its my fault haha. I hate houses with internal stairs, this is a bungalow style. But they should have used the external shed space for a double garage as there is a shed at the back of Park A.

I was joking about using my John Deere, but people actually do use their self propelled haha, too funny, one guy launches a 21ft trailer sailer with his. Provided they have traction. Mine is a heavy duty commercial mower, far too much for my 70sqm of grass left over haha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 4:14pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by brmbrm brmbrm wrote:

[QUOTE=pompey]
Wonder if driving straight into boat park area, then unhitch boat, rotate and push boat into garage area, reverse car out then manhandle boat again into the boar park area: I think thats what you meant in the early post FF?

Yes exactly, its the only way I can see it getting into Park A.

If I had a Quad bike or something like a motorised Dolly with plenty of grunt, I could also steer it in being 1m extra vs 4m of the Outback.

If I could manually push it up the variable concrete slope prior to Park A, even better, but I doubt it. It seems to me normal Jockey wheels slow the trailers down, of course they are not designed for being pushed up a small slope.

But 6deg on the garage slope and 5-7deg on Park A if I huge the house, 10deg at the start near the drop off which is why Id want to hug the house.

There must be a way. 
Page  123 4>