Fuel in tote. How old is too old.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel in tote. How old is too old.
    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 8:36pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Last filled tote with 91octane for honda 40,back in late feb. Thinking it would be quickly used . Didnt work that way with lockdown.
Next trip was a late june trip on manukau. So one of the most fishless years for a long time.
As a result have about 15l still in tote . This would now be about 7 months old,some older as tank was not fully empty when last filled in late feb.
Has been stored out of sun in garage ,but with breather open to prevent tank imploding.
A few different opinions on web about whether it should be o.k to use. 
Some say old fuel can leave a varnish/shellac residue through fuel system.
Thought of putting it in the car ,but maybe not a good idea as could cause damage there ,or so i read.

Anyone have experience with this sort of issue. To use or not to use.
Dont mind dumping the old fuel,but who takes old fuel for disposal.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 9:21pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

just use in car,no issues.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 10:24pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

fuel that old used in my car makes the catalytic converter light come on till i fill up with better fuel.  I just use it as weed spray.

If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 10:35pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Use it. 7 months is not ideal, but doesn't have to be an issue. Since many of the volatile compounds will have evaporated off--leaving the breather open not as good as preventing temp swings--mixing with fresh fuel will help. I'd pour it into your car a bit at a time over the next few fill ups. 5L diluted into 50L won't matter much at all. Lawnmower good also. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 6:51am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As breather open I would use as weed killer - I have stored out of sun and vent closed no issues tank does not expand and contract but ventilation and fuel causes oxidation.
Yes lockdown took its toll on fishing trips for me too!
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 7:16am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Give it a shake, pour some into a glass and let sit.
If there's water it will seperate.
Old gasoline with water has a smell, if your attuned to that.
Pouring as weed killer , not so green.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 7:48am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

15lt straight fuel of 91 be alright in a car,no issues at all,So if you went overseas for 6 months on your return you would get Mr Sucky in to syphon your car??
And yes you car tank still gets condensation in it,if worried pour a bottle of meths in as it soaks up water.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 10:46am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If hard starting , fuel getting old. It is this part of the aromatics that flash off thryu breathers , and perminate thru plastic container walls.
If an issue or think have, tip 1/2 out and fill with fresh. Do the same with 2nd 1/2 if doesnt fire up the lawn mower.

A lot more is made of old fuel than really is.
 Stored classic cars (3 of 4 seasons plus) if concerned, owners leave a gallon or so in the tank , pour in a fresh 5 or 10L then head off the the gas station to top off.