Takapu Rock Snaps and Orca

Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote MJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Takapu Rock Snaps and Orca
    Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 7:41pm
MJ View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Headed out on a solo mission yesterday from Auckland's East Coast Bays. Prospects were good with 10 knots wind predicted, dropping to 5 knots late afternoon. All went well on launching and motor on song I headed out past a couple of these guys on anchor:

And went past this rock:

Then parked up in front of Takapu Rock on the incoming tide and proceeded to strayline. Fishing was a bit slow with the bite VERY tentative. Caught a few snaps but this was the standout. This fish took a largish pillie on a strayline with at least 100m of line out. I knew it was heavier than average but because I had so much (nylon) line out it did not really respond until the line angle started to lift it off the reef and then it gave me a good fight:

And then... the real highlight of the day was a pod of Orca showed up. All females with calves. This one came closest to check me out:

Pretty cool. So a wonderful day...and not put off by the trek back to the Bays in a rising 15 knot wind against tide. Not sure where the 5 knots falling was.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 8:26pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looks like an awesome day on the water, with some good fishing and encounters. Nicely captured in your report and pics.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sea reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 9:25pm
sea reason View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 10:57pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nice report. So often the unexpected gems that make a memorable day on the water. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 8:21am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great snap