Manukau Hbr - Huia old pic

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Manukau Hbr - Huia old pic
    Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 5:05pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Manukau Timber Company, Huia. The company went into liquidation in 1895, with their timber rights taken over by Mander & Bradley.

"View of the Manukau Timber Companys mill at Huia, Manukau Harbour. Photographed by Edward Le Grice sometime between 1888 and 1922." Ref: PAColl-0398-14. Alexander Turnbull Library, Wellington, New Zealand. /records/22835710

Bazza did his apprenticeship here and had to empty the dunny pans when the shift went home, no cleaners here, he was it...LOL

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 5:32pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Awesome, thanks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 7:23pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A friend of mine was park ranger at Karekare Beach many years ago. We used to tear around tracks in a Land Rover repeatedly breaking wing mirrors. However I seem to recall the remains of a rail track used to carry kauri logs on the edge of the beach. Probably ran all the way to the mill in your photo at Huia..

Yep it did. Pretty good photo here 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 9:11pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Mr Moritz Mr Moritz wrote:

A friend of mine was park ranger at Karekare Beach many years ago. We used to tear around tracks in a Land Rover repeatedly breaking wing mirrors. However I seem to recall the remains of a rail track used to carry kauri logs on the edge of the beach. Probably ran all the way to the mill in your photo at Huia..

Another good picture. The railway only ran as far as wharf at Whatipu . You can see remnants of the tracks in the dunes at Whatipu.
The mills in Huia, Hinge bay etc had wharfs, quite a few in the harbour in those days .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 7:33am
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Legacy Legacy wrote:

Another good picture. The railway only ran as far as wharf at Whatipu . You can see remnants of the tracks in the dunes at Whatipu.
The mills in Huia, Hinge bay etc had wharfs, quite a few in the harbour in those days .

Thanks
M
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 7:39am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks great photos
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 5:21pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Legacy Legacy wrote:

Thanks
M

I think the railway track did run around to little huia to whatipu I remember seeing what was left of it when we used to walk around to destruction gully as kids.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2020 at 6:16pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think you'll find that ther were a number of lines.
One that ran down the west coast from piha to whatipu.

Of course there was the whatipu cave which was turned into a dance hall?
Don't remember one from whatipu to little hula.
The dams at huia were the main movement downstream to big huia.
The cargo and passenger wharf was at whatipu.
Barges were well used.
The coast from little huia to around pupunga and back to Cornwallis was well used for carrying the kauri which was the only currency besides a small amount of gum.
Times of men.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 2:39pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you are able to find it Early Manukau , secrets of yesterday by George Higham is an interesting read . Plenty of pics of the old wharves and tram lines .

COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 3:34pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This looks like it. Tks Skoti (Gentleman & )Scholar  Thumbs Up 

Early Manukau : secrets of yesterday / by George Higham
Bib ID1273143
FormatBookBook
Author
Higham, George, 1913-

DescriptionPapakura, N.Z. : G. Higham, 1990 
64 p., [24] p. of plates : ill., facsims., maps, ports. ; 22 cm. 
ISBN0473010720 (paperback)
Notes

Ill. on inside front cover ; port. on inside back cover.

Available from G. Higham, 12 Renwick St., Papakura, Auckland, N.Z.

SubjectsHigham, George, 1913-  |  Men -- New Zealand -- Biography.  |  Waitakere (N.Z.) -- History.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 8:57pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hard days, the lower dam was built early 70s we used to play there as kids while they were building it. There was definitely Reminants of rail track’s at distruction gully might have run back to whatipu we used to climb up to them. Distruction gully is where the old wharf ran out from. A lot of the posts and rusty metal was still there then. There was also the hms Orpheus that sunk there in the 1800s. Very interesting place. Love the west coast

https://media.api.aucklandmuseum.com/id/media/p/07cd76741b8db81c0f01c8120b7c70867ca17b6f?rendering=standard.jpg