New boat trailers

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New boat trailers
    Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 7:45pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

In the market for a new boat trailer, so who has got reasonably priced quality trailers with good galv. Needs to be keel rolled for a 16ft boat.

Looking at Ultra Trailers at the moment but want to know who else there is.

First hand experience would be great and the budget is about 4k
Part time Devils Advocate, Fulltime procrastinator
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 8:48pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm not sure that anyone makes keel roller trailers anymore. It would need to be a special build.
I feel that wobble roller trailers are ok for older glass boats provided the roles are well placed under stringers and that there are plenty of them.
It certainly makes launching and retrieving easier.
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 10:40pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Some of the trailers that i've looked at online have the keel rollers as a bolt on option that hook into where centre rollers mount onto. As long as the rollers are poly and not rubber then the boat slips off quicker than a cat can run over a hot tin roof! 
With the amount of repairs that have been done on my boat from her previous life as a rental, i wouldn't want her sitting anywhere but on the keel
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 10:55pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

And as far as launch and retreive goes, i am in or out quicker solo, than many of the three man circus shows that seem to be a regular occurrence at the local ramp, with their drive on drive off trailers

Good Boat trailers are made to be modified and just takes a few launches and retrieves to nail down the fit. Done it a few times now with second hand trailers and not one has been the same. Hence why looking new.

Just need good firsthand names and reasonably priced to follow up on
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote edge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 12:58am
edge01 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Where are you based?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 7:15am
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bay of Islands.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 7:57am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What size boat?

So many 70s early 80s boats still have original trailers in near original condition... often out lasting poorly looked after boats.

And Everything Dave says above..

Keel rollers with tilt is the ideal. You will hardly ever use the tilt unless on a very very flat ramp or beach.. which is the ideal trailer.
Mine is aset with a small chain to limit how far it tilts.. about 2 top 3" at the hitch end. Any more and it can be hard work pulling a 1000 ish kg (net) up steep slope.

A 18v 1.5AH drill will do it with a little help fast than yopu can turn.

We drop off and load faster than most, but its hard to beat organised guys with a wobbly.. We where out with acquaintances couple days ago, 2x 7m boats and ours Drop off the tow vechilce driver.. busy ramp.
They just backed down, huge side current (Te toro) they just drove up and on , hooked up drove out.

Many ramps do not permit this espec if the pad is short. Trailer wheels dropping in to a huge hole at the end can mess up everything from guards to not getting out.

The secret to keel rollers with strong side winds or current is do not go deep.tHE BOW MUST SIT ON  AND BE PULLED UP OVER THE END centering roller. Do not go deep thinking it will be quicker or easier unless perfect wind/ current condtions. If you do not the stern will swing against the guide poles, and the bow doesnt line up/ runs off the rollers 1/2 way up.

Get that right and retrieve is quick almost as quick within 15/30 secs of a wobbly drive on set up, short winch... difference being the winch time.

Total winching  time on our 1000 to 1100kg ish is around 60secs with a drill

Another trick for lurching (including solo) and roller bit sticky which they will do every now and then) is a double bungy painter on the bollard to trailer winch pole that is stretched just enough to hold the boat against the centering roller.
If boat doesnt push .. on the very 1st push. To the truck cab, roll back 1/2m hit the picks, boat rolls off bounces back to end of trailer.. you can also while in the cab bring the boat in few meters more shallow if wish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote edge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 10:57am
edge01 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

How are you getting on with this project terrafish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 7:11pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Still working on it, but slowly!
Got a few prices from various suppliers, but yet to go and lay eyes on any.
Few options that are possible but have to try and follow up.

Working away from home during the weeks at the moment and have no net, so a bit hard to apply myself to it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote edge01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 8:41pm
edge01 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

righto let me know what you decide.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 1:37pm
neil_cb125t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Seaforce NZ based in Hamilton now bring in Sea trail trailers. C section Galv EX Aussie

Have a look see - looks like they do all options

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 2:32pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Got new trailer today. Seems to be well made and was reasonably priced. Brought it unseen on recommendation mate who was a retired engineer and has one himself. I guess time will tell.
Trailer is an Alpha Trailer Located in kerikeri.

Now all i have to do is find time to fit it to the boat!