Euro Nymphing tips

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Euro Nymphing tips
    Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 3:56pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not from me but from the the experts Rob Vaz and Johnny Gummer.  I'll say no more. Enjoy.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 5:12pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I enjoyed that, just spent a day and a half Czech nymphing the Rangitaiki.Interesting how Johnny manages the longer casts, something to practice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 7:42pm
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Glad you did. It was amazing watching these guys fish.  They are super accurate as well. I really need to have a real go at it myself one day but at this stage I'll stick to filming them LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 8:50pm
FishMan View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Great stuff Excellent video
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 8:24am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What fly line is used and how long the leader.....straight or tapered?
Is the dropper tied off the micro-ring?
Thanks guys - enjoyed that.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 9:00am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I’m not sure what they were using but usually a straight leader, the tippet ring is only used for the tippet to indicator line and not the dropper fly. You can though if you want to .
Taupo has a few different rules to the rest of the country .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fraser Hocks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 9:55am
Fraser Hocks View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yea an interesting way to fish for sure.  Iv been given a mates old euro nymph rod (10' 3#).  Cant say the style of fishing overly intrigues me but il definitely give it a go, this season.  Good to get some tips on how to set it up and fish it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jofly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 9:57am
Jofly View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fishb8 I believe they use a 1wt double taper (essentially flat) fly line to bi-colour or tri-colour leader to tippet ring to tippet to flies.  Dropper is a knot, not a tippet ring.  Not sure which, I think it might be triple surgeons.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 10:22am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm so out of touch with some of the developments of fishing being stuck on a 4wt floating line for small streams.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MarkE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 10:44am
MarkE View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Been czech nymphing the tongariro and whanganui rivers exclusively the last 5 years. The system is amazingly effective , 10 fish a day is not uncommon. My setup is as follows -

Rio euro nymph flyline - 30cm hanak bicolor mono sighter - 2mm tippet ring - 1.5m 5x fluro then an additional 50cm tied to the end of this with a triple surgeons knot leaving a 10cm tag above the knot to act as the dropper...

Takes a bit a practice to get used to fishing it but its a very effective technique.
Sea Strike 18' Centre Console - Under Construction....Build Thread here
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 12:54pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The fish taking the flies Czech nymphing really makes this style of fishing for me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 7:30am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A friend of mine, Peter Scott, showed me some Czech nymphing nearly 20 years ago.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 11:23am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Peter taught me to Czech nymph so he’s “retired” and is now Hanak Nz.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 11:36am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I got Peter started fly fishing. I well remember his first trout, a very good rainbow at the Rangers pool on the TT. He played it so carefully.
Didn't take him long to overtake me, skill-wise.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 11:38am
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

During his Tisdall days he taught me to cast , very patient and good teacher.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 11:54am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Legacy Legacy wrote:

During his Tisdall days he taught me to cast , very patient and good teacher.
You must be a good caster as I taught Peter to cast...well for the first few weeks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 1:07pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Still improving..
But seriously try Czech nymphing I find it a lot of fun especially the catching lots of fish.
I do enjoy conventional dry fly nymph style fishing especially the casting, I tend to alternate between the two !