WTD 4 - 5m ish boat.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rusty360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTD 4 - 5m ish boat.
    Posted: 14 Sep 2020 at 7:48pm
rusty360 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi all,

I'm looking for a small boat to starting taking my boys out on. Around 4 -5m max. Budget up to 25k ish happy to look at alloy or glass. Have had glass boats in the past.
Run about or cuddy cabin ok.

What's out there that's not on trademe.

Cheers rusty
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 8:36am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Children grow fast, real fast and the older they get the faster they grow.
.Where a 5m will suit this season, will not next or season after.
Think teenagers.
Teenagers essentially= adult size/room.
5.5m fits 3 adults fine
At a squeeze 2 adults and couple 9/11 yr olds.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rusty360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 6:56pm
rusty360 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Children grow fast, real fast and the older they get the faster they grow.
.Where a 5m will suit this season, will not next or season after.
Think teenagers.
Teenagers essentially= adult size/room.
5.5m fits 3 adults fine
At a squeeze 2 adults and couple 9/11 yr olds.

I here ya but the boys are still only small and I'll see if they are into first, plus 4-5 I can handle by myself if need be. If they ready get into it can go bigger then.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SuperMac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 7:40pm
SuperMac View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

What Steps said

We bought Haines SF535 when kids were 7 and 9.  Three years later, they take turns to take their mates!  And they fight about whose turn it is.  Love it!

Size wise, I can handle it alone.  

I'd suggest going for a cabin.  When its slow going or if cold, the kids just jump in the front!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 9:45am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It funny how when the children are young, we have a concept, even think it thru for next few yrs, espec as changing a boat is expensive and not clean cut like a car.

In practice it works like this...what seems like the day after tomorrow you have couple teenagers.
 But before they hit teenage, (the "tomorrow" part) you are already pre maturely thinking bigger boat.
"Day after" comes alone after a yr or so of procrastination, boat goes on the market..needing a good sale price.. Doesnt move for a yr or so.
 The only boats that do move are those very well priced , but fair, in very good condition..
Then while on the market you find your new boat. Unless you have the cash in the back pocket, you have to wait till the old boat is sold. If need a good 'fair' price doesnt sell.

That is what is the most common, thing that happens in real life.

Or You have the cash in the back pocket to buy the new boat, and maybe bigger tow vehicle, you now have to have the parking area for your cars and 2 boats.

Personally getting back to the original request in the original post thu..

East coast I wold be going for about a 6m hull, like a buccanneer 635, or similar firestar, haines, sea nymph rayglass type glass,  with at least a 175hp min, preferably 200...
 Which will be over budget.
 OR older style boat , not painted  and shows all its old war wounds, and a late model engine.

East coast preferably alloy.. thu I have a glass and managing far better than originally thought in rivers and bars.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rusty360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 10:17pm
rusty360 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Guys, Thanks for the input but a 6m+ boat with a 175 or 200hp is about as far away as possible of what i want and need. If i could turn back time id be more than happy with my old 14.6 figlass. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 10:53pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yip, for every one of the above examples, there's probably nearly as many guys who bought a big 'family' glass boat and turns out the partner and kids aren't actually interested in fishing/boating, and they have way too much boat to handle solo. I have two in my immediate neighbourhood!

I went your way with a <5m boat, and have two growing boys, one who's quite keen, the other not so much. Wife maybe on a great day, for a picnic at the islands. 
So, very happy with a small tinny open runabout with two seats, plenty of room, dry storage and power for our needs.

Sorry for invading the thread, but the other typical example is pushing the budget out by $5k. And for $25+5 you are in new boat territory for <5m size, certainly tinny of some reliable brands.With the economy the way it is, i'd be going to some of the main dealerships and looking hard at trade ins or good discounts on new boats in your preferred size range. Good luck!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 8:21am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

and they have way too much boat to handle solo. I have two in my immediate neighbourhood!

A reasonable ramp solo is not an issue.. just being a little organised is... or when boiled down , motivation which applies no matter what size boat..boat size becomes the excuse every time.

Hi Guys, Thanks for the input but a 6m+ boat with a 175 or 200hp is about as far away as possible of what i want and need. If i could turn back time id be more than happy with my old 14.6 figlass.

I fully understand that, we didnt have deep pockets, even more shallow now retired..
Hence one of the reasons we went  to the older commander newer (5.5m)  Still allowed Wife and I over nighters around the islands...we take out couple grandchildren for the day.. and I can solo if short on crew...with 2 crew being limit of comfort for the day.
 The thing is with an older , not painted/ show war wounds hull  KNOWN good trailer, late model engine with history... basically the trailer is free, sounders anchors etc hull near free  and all up just over the value of the engine

Down side.. took us  less than3 months to fine a good low mileage tow vechcile.. a 96 bighorn and 12 to 18 to find the solid boat hull... The boat needed A new full bimmini, upholstery, wood work, carpets, touch up here and there.. Did all the work myself except the bimmini. Added another 4 to 5K over a yr or so.
So its not hard to get what you want even thu 'out of budget' its just what one is prepared to give up to get it... be it time/ labour  whatever.

My Grandmother , died nearly 50yrs ago, always said  when we wanted something.
" If you  really want something , you will get it. If you dont get it then you didnt REALLY want it in the 1st place. And if didnt really want it, dont waste your and others time just  talking about it."
 Maybe a bit harsh in odays PC BS climate , but bottom line true.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 11:08am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Respectfully to the team, it sounds like the guy knows what he wants, and has had more than one boat in the past, not really our place to badger him into a different boat because of what our own experiences/perceptions are.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Davo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 8:41pm
Davo View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

nicely said Rozboon
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 8:57pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got a 490 stabi .. done fine taking couple of little girls out with missus when they were young 20 yrs ago, had nice forid squab for kids to sleep on and carpeted cabin, great for day trips in gulf islands and to mansion house Kawau for picnics .... then became hard core pocket battleship game boat.. mainly two onboard, sometimes 3 ... we put a lot of marlin in it. I love it to bits and as big as I want to go.
Pretty capable craft for sub 5 meters, economical with 4 stroke power and easy to tow and launch. Even does muriwai easy as and few times over manukau bar, but great off places like tuts and bland bay... latter is a beach launch. Also goes in at caster bay on shore.
Big ain’t always best. Had her 20 years. It’s still an absolute machine even after 20 yrs of heavy use.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote rusty360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 9:14pm
rusty360 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

Respectfully to the team, it sounds like the guy knows what he wants, and has had more than one boat in the past, not really our place to badger him into a different boat because of what our own experiences/perceptions are.

Cheers Rozboon

Yeah this will be my 5th boat, I also did 10years with coastguard so have a fair idea of what's going on. I'm in no rush, something will turn up.

Cheers rusty.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote neil_cb125t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 5:31pm
neil_cb125t View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/listing/2756714796?bof=ME9bZxbF

This looks like a cool wee setup - love the seaforce stuff myself.

I have 530 Ute -I needed something I too could handle myself. The above model looks to have more cabin than mine, and some nice extras with a 4 stroke on it......

Once you go 4, you'll never look back.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 8:02pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by rusty360 rusty360 wrote:

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

Cheers Rozboon

Yeah this will be my 5th boat, I also did 10years with coastguard so have a fair idea of what's going on. I'm in no rush, something will turn up.

Cheers rusty.

Good words Rozboon.  
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 8:53pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hard to advise whats available out there outside of trademe without narrowing things down, is pretty open ended and it sounds like you know what you like and you have plenty of experience. Sounds like a late 90s hull and newer engine could be the ticket, 4.5-5.5m, but you know what you like.

I wish you well narrowing it down.

Something might pop up here.