Testing the waters so to speak

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote luckydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Testing the waters so to speak
    Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 9:53am
luckydude View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi everyone,

I cringe to say this, but I'm posting from the lovely burning to the ground state of California in the US.  I've spent the last 15 years living in a beautiful spot in the coastal mountains above Santa Cruz, view out to the Pacific, it's great.  It's also in an extreme fire danger zone, and that, along with our broken political system, cops that react to protests about police brutality with more police brutality, income inequality, and all the rest that makes America not so great, has me looking to make a move.  When/If we get the COVID thing under control.  So not any time soon because about half of my country seems to be dumb as a board.

If I'm not welcome, and I would completely understand if you told me to bugger off, I'll shut up and just read.

I would like to learn about your fisheries.  I can tell you a little about ours and, if anyone cares, show you some pics of my boat, current and past (let's just say the current one is *way* better than the past one, I made that classic mistake).  Boat pics here: http://mcvoy.com/lm/boat along with fish hauls.  The current boat, that I bought just before the pandemic lock down, yeah, is a Grady White 228.  There is a great youtube video of that model being demo-ed by the GW dealer in NZ.

We fish salmon, halibut, rock fish (a zillion different kinds) and ling cod.  Those are bread and butter.  The more experienced captains (that's not me yet) will go 30-60 miles off shore to chase albacore tuna.  This year some bluefin tuna were taken in the Monterey Bay so that was cool.

I've looked a little at your ocean, the west coast seems pretty snotty, I just looked west of Auckland right now, 8 feet at 9 seconds, I don't know what you call that, around here we call it a square ocean when the swell is the same as the period.  4@4 is not fun, 8@9 sounds crappy.  Do you guys go out in that?  If so, what sort of vessel?

On the other hand, the bay to the east of Auckland looks lovely.  Does it hold fish or is it all fished out because it's so protected?

That's enough from me for now.  I'm happy to answer any questions about anything, and I'm truly sorry that so many people in America have turned out to be less decent people than I think we all hoped.  It's a train wreck and I want off the train.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 10:57am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Firstly don't apologize for anything.

Secondly NZ still has great fishing even around our biggest city.
Yes the west coast of Auckland is snotty right now but in January to April you will get Marlin and Albacore in close and favourable winds.
East Coast with the right boat is your oyster right about now the pilchards will start running and we have red hot snapper fishing until Christmas.
Its all about learning the spots, tides etc just like any fishing.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote luckydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 12:31pm
luckydude View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I dunno about don't apologize.  I'm half Dutch, did summers there for years with my grandmother, lived there for a year at one point.  I took my family back there to show them where I spent some of my youth.  The taxi driver from the airport and I got to talking, this was 2017, and in a minute or two we got onto politics.  And I said "I'm so sorry about Trump".  He looked at me and he was serious, he said "you need to get a megaphone and go to the town square and say that over and over".

So as a not crazy American, someone who does think about the community (I read the thread about America unraveling, be happy to provide some perspective, there was some things right in that thread but a lot wrong), I feel I do need to apologize.  There are decent Americans but there are awful Americans and I'm so tired of dealing with the awful ones.

I'd like to move somewhere where people aren't awful and aren't stupid.  I'd also like it to be a place where I can fish.  I've got some progressive problem in my feet, I used to be huge into fly fishing, that was my jam, but I can't backpack in any more.  So ocean fishing is my new love.  I have to say it is pretty awesome, 20 pound fish are a thing, that's not a thing when fishing for trout.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 12:57pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I get it with the whole media thing making a lot of Americans feel somewhat alienated and polarized by events there.
Awful folks are prevail everywhere.

On the brighter note there are 20lb trouts here too. 40lb even.

As for sea fishing you would be hard pressed finding better than NZ. It ain't perfect but it is pretty close!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote luckydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 1:19pm
luckydude View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

So when I signed up to the site it asked about interests and fish and one of the fish was salmon.  Someone told me there are no salmon in the southern hemisphere, are they wrong?  Do you guys have salmon?  Sort of asking for my wife, she loves cooked salmon (I don't) but also for me because salmon sushi is awesome.  Our go to sushi is salmon, yellow tail (hamachi, I think you guys call it kingfish) and bluefin tuna.

And on the media thing, my feeling is we should feel like crap.  Our president is an idiot who doesn't have 1/1000th of what it takes to lead this country, he has pissed off all of our allies, he sucks up to Putin, he's awful.  He denied the COVID-19 problem, we have 4% of the world's population and around 25% of the cases and 21% of the deaths.  That is not good.  We suck and that is on him and it is shameful that he still has supporters.

As a sort of European I can see good things about America, especially the cold states (I grew up in Wisconsin, 250 miles north of Chicago).  Cold state people take care of each other because if you don't, you might have to read in the paper that car you didn't stop to check out?  Yeah, those people froze to death.  Some Americans are super decent people.  Easy to get to know, want to help.

But oh boy, did Trump expose that we have a lot of crappy people.  I thought racism and misogyny were sort of done in this country, I knew it happened but it happened in dark places away from the public eye.  Trump dragged it out into the open and made it "OK".  He's set us back decades.

OK, enough of that.  So where are the 20 pound trout?  Are we talking fresh water?  I've heard you guys have some awesome fly fishing.  But 20 pound?  40 pound?  That has to be ocean fish right?

I taught myself how to fly fish from a book written in the 1950's so I have a really weird casting technique.  I haul on the back cast but apparently in the 1950's nobody knew how to haul on the forward cast, so my stroke is to flip it back with a haul, but on the forward cast I pump my arm forward to load the rod.  After decades of fishing on my own with no guides, I made enough money to go a glamping trip with guides, they looked at me like was nuts when I cast, they were all flip and haul, no movement forward or back.  They shut up when they realized I could put the fly exactly where they told me, at 45-55 feet, I can put it where they wanted.

Everyone loves pictures, here is that fun trip:  http://mcvoy.com/lm/the_bob-2012/

So what are you go to fish to eat?  How do you catch them?

Here, salmon is trolling on a downrigger, 300 feet down is pretty normal, it's a haul to get them up.  And we have to fish barbless for salmon so there is some skill needed to keep tension on them.  Halibut is easy, troll a chovy.  Rockfish are jigs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 1:49pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Almost everyone you speak to here cannot understand how such a person as Trump can be elected as President however thjat is the business of Americans & not for us to comment on I guess.
I took a very nice young American from Maine flyfishing & as it was a passion of his consequently wanted to fish non stop ... UNTIL .... it was announced Trump had been elected whereby this fully grown individual began to cry & declared he did not want to resume fishing again until he had dealt with the trauma of having dealt with such a reality, such was the degree to which he was genuinely upset, could not help feeling sorry for him.
OK have sent you a PM Larry with some info you may find to be of some interest. 
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote luckydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 2:04pm
luckydude View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

As a science based American, I don't understand how Trump got elected either.  The electoral college was put in place to defend against someone like Trump and they failed us.

Our country is at a turning point and I don't see things ending well.  I think it well take 50 years to undo the damage that Trump has done.

Hence my please can I come hang out with you guys?

Though I'm reading and man, this site has issues.   Saw some Trump like stuff.   I'd love to know what you guys actually think in private.  PM/DM/whatever it is, send me private mail. 

I want to believe you guys are sane, you do the masks, you flatten the curve and don't get butt hurt about doing so

From the outside, here is what you look like.  Awesome country, weather is fantastic.  I've heard, not confirmed, that your right wing leader looked at what your left wing PM is doing and bowed out and said this is not the right time to run against her.  Is that true?  If that is true, you are light years ahead of the rest of the world.  That is putting community first.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 2:31pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

haha you are putting some skittles up Luckydude. Every country has its issues including nz and different views but kiwis tend to be tolerant of other people’s views. No ones right about everything. Some are more researched but even research sources are most often compromised with agenda. 

Welcome to the site and You will fit in great in NZ being a mad keen fisho. Fishing is in a majority of kiwis DNA as is hunting, outdoors and conservation, as well as a healthy respect for the Polynesian cultures found here.

Yes we have salmon and you can target them but there are some good and bad years. They were introduced.

Yip trout get up to 40+ pounds where they are benefiting from fish farms known as frankenfish. Most trout fishos avoid, aiming for a 10 pounder which is still good to eat and found in beautiful spots throughout nz. Also a growing saltwater fly fishing movement if that’s your buzz. 

You have come to a great site - NZs best one for experienced info dating back years so great research resource also. 

When you get to nz make yourself known you should get a few invites for a fish session. 

Tight lines 

The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote luckydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 2:44pm
luckydude View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

This is what I was looking for.  Tight lines indeed.

I suspect it will be a few years before it all works out, so until then, I'm on the California coast which is pretty awesome.  I have a 1 bedroom guest house, you could put two couples in there, you have a place if you come visit.   I'd love to show you where we fish and I want to get my family over to you, I think we'd be better there.

Tight lines in both places.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote luckydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 2:52pm
luckydude View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

"healthy respect for the Polynesian cultures found here."

My fishing buddy here has a thing, when he bonks a fish he says "thank you for your service".  He is also the guy that when I was tired and I was doing a **** job on cleaning the fish, he said "Larry, those rockies gave their life for you, you need to honor them and get all the meat".

I've always felt that his energy was like people who came before us.  I have a lot of respect for them. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 6:29pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lol @ bonk..
In kiwi speak, that means sex....
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 7:54pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Big -Dave Big -Dave wrote:

Lol @ bonk..
In Irish speak it means a swift punch to the head... you choose BD LOLClap

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 8:00pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Welcome to Fishnet NZ, Larry - Luckydude.

Keep asking Sir and you will get all sorts of answers.

Dumb, stupid, funny, argumentative, dogmatic, technical, inventive,  intelligent, experienced, mature, sensual, metro-sexual (his name is Bazza) and then back to dumb and stupid all in the same paragraph... that is the kiwi way! LOL
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Mossy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 8:26pm
Mossy View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I hope it all works out for you. Yes, NZ is a great place and there's a great variety of fishing to be had in some beautiful spots. All nicely compacted in a reasonably small space - you literally can bag a deer, catch a trout and then a marlin in a single day. 

It's certainly not a utopia by any means, and a lot of things needs fixing, but I've travelled a bit and there's no other country I'd rather live in.

As for Trump, unfortunately most of what we read or see on the various news shows over here is very biased. I occasionally look up CNN, FOX etc and they're so polarised either for or against him that I kinda give up believing any of it. Anything reported in our media about what's happening over there is just copied directly from the (usually left-leaning) US sites also, so again I just find it too opinionated and full of anti-Trump agendas to be taken seriously.

Unfortunately the media are stoking the whole left vs. right fires and I sincerely hope common sense will eventually prevail and some common ground will be found.

Anyways, best not get too political lest we get a telling off Wink.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 8:27pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bahahaha Catchalot that pretty much covers it. 

There is also the mandatory learning the rules of Rugby. Probably the first step.....Thumbs Up
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote luckydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 6:41am
luckydude View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Big -Dave Big -Dave wrote:

Lol @ bonk..

Here I am, trying to make a good first impression, and I go off and talk about sex with a fish.  Way to go, dude.

Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 2:55pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Hey Larry
If you do manage to get here, in anticipation it could be a good idea to putting into practice some of the weird (to an American) customs Kiwis abide by  here are a few of many.

Main eg steak or whatever & vegs etc eaten together on the same plate

Knife & fork used together at the same time ... no slash then poke.

Boiled eggs are eaten in an egg cup ... not held in a napkin.

Pumpkin is served preferably roasted as a veg not as a pie.

Hamburgers most likely will have beetroot included.

Tipping not obligatory ... why tip a surly cab driver just doing his job.

Drive on the left hand side atho unfortunately visitors often forget.

Damn is considered slang rather than blasphemous but conversely expressions such as Mother F#####r totally obscene. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 3:00pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Hey Larry
If you do manage to get here, in anticipation it could be a good idea to putting into practice some of the weird (to an American) customs Kiwis abide by  here are a few of many.

Damn is considered slang rather than blasphemous but conversely expressions such as Mother F####er highly obscene. 

Enough for now but will list more as they come to mind & am sure other forum members will also.

We use gas to fire cookers, heaters, refrigeration, fuel our vehicles on petrol, diesel or electric & run them on tyres not tires which we used to buy by writing a cheque as checks were not valid currency.

Our fuel may be more expensive but at least we get 4 1/2 ltrs rather than 4 ltrs to a gallon & our power is 240 volts rather than a measly 110 Volts.

Caravans are towed behind vehicles to holiday in not trailers which are used to take rubbish ( not garbage ) to the tip or firewood in Autumn ( not fall ) or to tow our boats. Motor homes are just that ...
wheeled vehicles fitted out to be liveable in & not RV's

A ball game refers to rugby, league or soccer ... cricket or baseball or golf don't qualify as they use sticks to hit the ball.

We use rods to catch fish ... poles hold up tents or power cables.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 5:33pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Be careful of Bazza's advice there Lucky Dude he can be corrupt and a sly 'ole dog all in one, here is another example.LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 5:40pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by bazza bazza wrote:

Hey Larry

Damn is considered slang rather than blasphemous but conversely expressions such as Mother F####er highly obscene. 

Enough for now but will list more as they come to mind & am sure other forum members will also.

yeah fanny is a ladys front parts not a butt.... lol
Page  12>