Testing the waters so to speak

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote churbay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 8:03pm
churbay View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Sweet as.
Means all good 👍
Not you have a nice butt
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishful Thinking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 8:20pm
Fishful Thinking View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Half the population of every country is below average Larry. Your wealthy, aggregators of money and investment companies shifted it, killed small town jobs and disenfranchised huge numbers. Made China great again. Neither side of the divide offered hope, until Ronald McTrump offered them difference, not real hope, just a faint chance.

You seem like a "Kiwi" trapped in the world's shortest lived empire, though it was financial, not territorial. 

Get your butt over here with the tribe, see you at Swashbucklers in Westhaven, Auckland for a beer and "Fish Bites and Chips" (aka fries).
PhD: Pool Hall Diploma
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 9:38pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Fishfull, we should get together at Swashies again
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2020 at 10:18pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A trunk is the big fat part of a tree,
The back part of a car is the boot
The front is a bonnet, not a hood...
The things that hold wheels on are nuts not lugs.. And are tightened by a wheel brace.. Or a dug-a-dug.. Otherwise known as a take gun
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 9:07am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

The bad news is that you will not have any more vacations but the upside is that there are plenty of holidays & there is talk of having one or two more being added.

Thanksgiving can be celebrated on any day of the year upon landing a PB regardless of species.

Xmas / New year happens in the heat of summer but not a lot to celebrate in winter unless skiing is your thing or just like standing out in the rain.

There are no snakes, serious biting spiders, potentially dangerous animals (politicians excepted) all indigenous trees / plants are evergreen & anything deciduous is an exotic that has been imported.

In fact NZ has no native species of animals existing (other than maybe a small bush rodent) only birds many of which lost their power of flight
(eg Kiwi) as there were no predators until humans arrived.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishful Thinking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 9:15am
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Fishfull, we should get together at Swashies again

Late November/December then?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote luckydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 12:51pm
luckydude View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Fishful Thinking Fishful Thinking wrote:

You seem like a "Kiwi" trapped in the world's shortest lived empire, though it was financial, not territorial. 

Get your butt over here with the tribe, see you at Swashbucklers in Westhaven, Auckland for a beer and "Fish Bites and Chips" (aka fries).

The comment that I'm a Kiwi trapped elsewhere is one of the greatest compliments I've ever been given.  So thank you for that.

I feel like you guys are just decent people doing what you should do to help each other.  And, yeah, I'm like that.  I grew up in a place that is very cold, we *all* did that, I was nothing special.  It creeps me out when people thank me for doing what my Dad taught me to just do because that is what you do.  Other than a beer, you should get no thanks for being a decent bloke, right?

I'm working on getting over there.  It's a process, I'm calling your embassy tomorrow to start that process.   It's been up and down on our side, at first my family didn't want to go, then they looked, I've got 3 out of 4 wanting to go.  Working on the 4th.

And I've been learning talking to NZ people.  I think I'd fit in with the rural folks just fine, I'm like that, I fix my stuff, I'm 30 minutes away from any help so I do my own plumbing, electrical, I've got a full on woodworking, metal working, engine mechanical shop.  I do all that because it is super hard to get someone to come help.  I'm no genius, there are problems that are beyond me but the basics, I just do myself and seems like you guys.

I don't know Swashbucklers but I will when I get there and I will buy all of you blokes a round or three.  I'm still amazed that you even talk to some American dude and welcome him.  Beers on the house!  And the next round!  Don't bankrupt me but I'd love to buy you a round.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 1:16pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I emigrated here from the UK (kiwi wife) over twenty years ago. Never once regretted it; great people and country.
Caught marlin, trophy trout and am taking my 14yr old hunting for the first time soon.
I don’t know if you read the THT but the only drawback some Americans see with NZ is you can’t carry handguns !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote luckydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 2:19pm
luckydude View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Legacy Legacy wrote:

I emigrated here from the UK (kiwi wife) over twenty years ago. Never once regretted it; great people and country.
Caught marlin, trophy trout and am taking my 14yr old hunting for the first time soon.
I don’t know if you read the THT but the only drawback some Americans see with NZ is you can’t carry handguns !

I was anti gun for decades and then I moved to where I am, I'm on 15-19 acres, it is close to wilderness.  I need guns like I need chainsaws, they are just tools.  I've got 70+ chickens and they get sick and need to be put down, a shotgun is as humane a tool that I've found to do that.

I'm fine with gun control.  America has gone too far with guns for everyone, way way too far.  I could post my gun control rant if anyone cares, I tried to thread the needle for guns as tools and too many guns.  The gun forums here pretty much crucified me.  Oh well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 2:54pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A lot of people hunt for deer etc and have rifles, semi automatics fairly much got banned last year and hand guns are not allowed.
Plenty of deer,pigs, tahr, goats, ducks etc if you like hunting .
Plenty of table fish( snapper) within 30minutes of Auckland, marlin, broadbill, bluefin during the year around the north island .
Rainbow and brown trout in some great locations
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote luckydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 3:00pm
luckydude View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

A lot of people hunt for deer etc and have rifles, semi automatics fairly much got banned last year and hand guns are not allowed.
Plenty of deer,pigs, tahr, goats, ducks etc if you like hunting .
Plenty of table fish( snapper) within 30minutes of Auckland, marlin, broadbill, bluefin during the year around the north island .
Rainbow and brown trout in some great locations

That's a crazy nice trout.  Holy crap.  I've fly fished for 4 decades and I have never caught brown remotely close to that big.  That's a nice nice fish.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 3:34pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I know you said your feet are not the best but I got that fish maybe 10mins from the road on a well known stream , Ngongotaha , there’s a name to pronounce !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote luckydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 1:56pm
luckydude View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I know you said your feet are not the best but I got that fish maybe 10mins from the road on a well known stream , Ngongotaha , there’s a name to pronounce !

When I figure out how to get there, I'll bring my fly gear.  Mostly Sage but a Hardy Zenith that is a sweet rod, 3-Tand reels mostly, a Bauer, a bunch of Lampsons (they were the original fly reel machined from bar stock).

Fly fishing is my first real fishing love.  I did all the kid stuff first but fly fishing is just so special.  I know you guys have some fishing but check this out.  This is a place where they did a dam, and for once it did a good thing, it prevented rainbows from mixing with the native cutthroat trout.  Cutties are the dumb blondes of trout, they have never seen a dry fly they didn't want to eat.

I would *love* to cast a fly towards a trout.  Fly fishing was my jam.  I've branched out to ocean fishing because I can sit, and I have to say, ocean fishing is awesome, you get actual food, I haven't eaten a trout in 30 years.  But there is something so peaceful and pleasant about putting a fly on the rise.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 2:16pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

For a pic of a big brown trout caught in NZ check out this post by late fishnetter Eric Morman: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/15-4kg-34-pound-brown-trout_topic113498.html
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote luckydude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 2:20pm
luckydude View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

For a pic of a big brown trout caught in NZ check out this post by late fishnetter Eric Morman: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/15-4kg-34-pound-brown-trout_topic113498.html

Holy ****, that is like ocean fish..  Wow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 2:23pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I think the NZ record is now 40lb or more. These monster live in the hydro canals in the South Island where they farm salmon. These pis hang around there getting fat on the food that finds its way out of the cages
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishful Thinking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 7:27pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by luckydude luckydude wrote:

The comment that I'm a Kiwi trapped elsewhere is one of the greatest compliments I've ever been given.  So thank you for that.

I feel like you guys are just decent people doing what you should do to help each other.  And, yeah, I'm like that.  I grew up in a place that is very cold, we *all* did that, I was nothing special.  It creeps me out when people thank me for doing what my Dad taught me to just do because that is what you do.  Other than a beer, you should get no thanks for being a decent bloke, right?

I'm working on getting over there.  It's a process, I'm calling your embassy tomorrow to start that process.   It's been up and down on our side, at first my family didn't want to go, then they looked, I've got 3 out of 4 wanting to go.  Working on the 4th.

And I've been learning talking to NZ people.  I think I'd fit in with the rural folks just fine, I'm like that, I fix my stuff, I'm 30 minutes away from any help so I do my own plumbing, electrical, I've got a full on woodworking, metal working, engine mechanical shop.  I do all that because it is super hard to get someone to come help.  I'm no genius, there are problems that are beyond me but the basics, I just do myself and seems like you guys.

I don't know Swashbucklers but I will when I get there and I will buy all of you blokes a round or three.  I'm still amazed that you even talk to some American dude and welcome him.  Beers on the house!  And the next round!  Don't bankrupt me but I'd love to buy you a round.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishful Thinking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 7:29pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by luckydude luckydude wrote:

I'm not well known for saying no to a beer. If you shoot pool as well, even better! F.T.
 Post Reply Post Reply
Page  <12
Share Topic