Competition formats

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Competition formats
    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 7:34am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just after some thoughts from those that enter fishing competitions.
I organise all our club fishing contests and the biggest issue I face is trying to provide a format that suits or at least caters for all levels of ones fishing ability. There are always one or 2 that will constantly question/argue the rules set, my standard reply is usually that I look to cater for the majority not the minority that's not say I dont listen to their concerns raised but if its purely to suit them I will ignore it.

One of the comments I hear all the time is that "we not going to enter because its the same people winning all the time". Yes we have a small group of fishers that feature all the time but they put a lot of time/prep for a contest and quite often their sole focus to to win as many prizes as they can, "after all it is a contest" is their argument. Is this greed or just they are very good at fishing??

Some of the formats I use for our smaller contests is a 1 prize per species per section, for example you could have 1st in Snapper 2nd in Tarakihi & 3rd Hapuku section. Now this small minority bitch to me that if we catch 1st, 2nd, 3rd Snapper then we should get all 3 prizes.

One format we are running at the moment for our winter contest is you can only win 1 prize only for that month, this not only gives everybody a chance of a prize but also shares the prizes out amongst competitors.
Case in point is that last month we had 7 prizes up for grabs across 3 species and 2 guys fishing on same boat would've had 5 of the 7 prizes, now is this fair/acceptable for all those entered.

So guys thoughts.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 7:53am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Suggest to them they ask themselves how many would buy lotto tickets if the same individuals won first, second & third division week after week.

Obvious answer is very few, therefore lotto would cease to exist & the same would happen with fishing comps particularly if they are primarily social fun events.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 8:02am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Craig - we are a bit the same with our annual comp. Trying to be inclusive for all competitors. But the best fishos always come thru at the end of the day - for the reasons you explain.
One thing we have done to level the playing field is to have a prize for AVERAGE weight of each target species. This gives everyone a crack. They have to enter it in the Average category - can't have their cake and eat it too - ie thinking they are in for a 1st etc and then find they can claim the average. Can't happen. Either entered in the average or the open category. That way anyone who has a fish to weigh in each category has an equal crack at a prize. And the prize is often as good as 1st - eg rod/reel. We also have some lucky draws of lesser prizes - drawn off their entry/registration number.
Regards
Alan 
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 8:16am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Craig - we are a bit the same with our annual comp. Trying to be inclusive for all competitors. But the best fishos always come thru at the end of the day - for the reasons you explain.
One thing we have done to level the playing field is to have a prize for AVERAGE weight of each target species. This gives everyone a crack. They have to enter it in the Average category - can't have their cake and eat it too - ie thinking they are in for a 1st etc and then find they can claim the average. Can't happen. Either entered in the average or the open category. That way anyone who has a fish to weigh in each category has an equal crack at a prize. And the prize is often as good as 1st - eg rod/reel. We also have some lucky draws of lesser prizes - drawn off their entry/registration number.
Regards
Alan 

Alan, I tried a contest solely based on average weight but was only moderately successful, we have included average weights in some sections that way those that missed out on a main prize were at least in with a chance of a prize.
One thing I do try and do where possible is that prize values or product is the same across each section that way fishers cant complain that someone got a better prize than me.
We always have lucky angler draws
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 8:27am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

But you could do it both ways - 1st etc (biggest fish) and Average.
The hotshots will always chase the 1st category (unless they bombed on a species). The 'other' anglers can choose to enter their fish in the Average category. But everybody only gets to enter one fish/species.
Someone who was aiming for Open category and bombs out in term of what they have in their bin,  is still free to enter their fish in Average. And vice versa. Someone in the 'other' category who gets lucky and has a good fish can choose to weigh it in the Open section. Their call at the end of the day.
Regards
Alan 
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 8:41am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Tzer, I belong to our local Mokau Fishing Club. Small Family minded country club with around 150 members. We have two major comps a year and for the last 3-4 years we have adopted a one prize per person only can be won. Lets say you have a place getter in a few different species the commitee makes sure you get the best prize on offer for your fish. This way Prizegiving is a much more enjoyable event where everyone has a chance of a good prize!                                               When it comes to other Comps Iv'e entered that you can fish your own patch and drive to weighin. Its a free for all, if you have a winning fish in every species, you could win the lot. Maybe the Bigger clubs with more Sponsorship etc could adopt a similar system to give everyone a fair chance at a good prize. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 8:48am
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tzer - I fished the Bay Bonanza this year and found that a great competition - well done if you were involved in running that. 

I think the prizes spread evenly over all species might help. Rather than $3k for heaviest snapper, elevate Kahawai, Blue Cod, Trevally and Tarakihi right up there with the same prize money for Snapper as well. I think high prize money should still be there for Tuna, Marlin, Groper etc. due to the time, cost and effort of catching those fish. But Snapper and Kingfish.....level with the others
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 9:16am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hard work being a organiser Tzer. Good on you.

One I have seen work in PNG is all the prizes are prioritised so eg largest marlin top prize average marlin second. Largest mackerel 3rd and 4th goes to average mackerel with a scattering of best hard luck story prizes etc. once fish and prizes are all ranked a decision is made on the most prizes won per boat which was generally one prize per person.

Then all prizes are heaped onto the stage and when your name is called out you go and pick what you want. If you already have a good fishfinder you pick a game rod etc. that way people win what the want so always happy and it keeps everyone involved as they watch for their first choice and changing to second or third as others pick their choice. 

This also caters for the keen top fishers as they are happy for the one prize as they picked what they wanted so worth it. Prizes get spread around. Prize giving keeps crowd attention longer and prize picking strategies come into play with a lot of banter.

Also great way to promote club with every fisher getting I survived fishing comp blah blah boat sticker and cap, itched pint glass, hand towel etc. never miss a marketing exercise to build excitement and numbers for the next year. 

Just some ideas 

The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 9:21am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We run as near as possible same prizes across all species. Depending what we have managed to secure, 1st is usually rod/reel.
Biggest puka, biggest gurnard, winning average for each species - same. If we have a better rod/reel combo then that may go to puka or something.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 9:26am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

h

Then all prizes are heaped onto the stage and when your name is called out you go and pick what you want. If you already have a good fishfinder you pick a game rod etc. that way people win what the want so always happy and it keeps everyone involved as they watch for their first choice and changing to second or third as others pick their choice. 

This also caters for the keen top fishers as they are happy for the one prize as they picked what they wanted so worth it. Prizes get spread around. Prize giving keeps crowd attention longer and prize picking strategies come into play with a lot of banter.

That sounds like a good system. I have a mate that fishes with me a lot. He has a shed full of rod/reels he has won. Prob won more prizes than anybody in our club. He probably doesn't need another rod/reel.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 11:08am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Clifftastic Clifftastic wrote:

Tzer - I fished the Bay Bonanza this year and found that a great competition - well done if you were involved in running that. 

I think the prizes spread evenly over all species might help. Rather than $3k for heaviest snapper, elevate Kahawai, Blue Cod, Trevally and Tarakihi right up there with the same prize money for Snapper as well. I think high prize money should still be there for Tuna, Marlin, Groper etc. due to the time, cost and effort of catching those fish. But Snapper and Kingfish.....level with the others

Thanks mate, the Bay Boanza has been running for well over 30 years and for much of that time has been a cash based prize list. We have had boats & cars up for grabs over the years but due to arguments breaking out over who gets what if you in a team, the club has now gone to 20K as top prize still arguments but cash easier to share than a car or boat.
We're not so much worried about the clubs 2 major contests as rules are different.
Its more our smaller contests that we/I get grief from the small majority hence my post.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 11:16am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

hard work being a organiser Tzer. Good on you.

One I have seen work in PNG is all the prizes are prioritised so eg largest marlin top prize average marlin second. Largest mackerel 3rd and 4th goes to average mackerel with a scattering of best hard luck story prizes etc. once fish and prizes are all ranked a decision is made on the most prizes won per boat which was generally one prize per person.

Also great way to promote club with every fisher getting I survived fishing comp blah blah boat sticker and cap, itched pint glass, hand towel etc. never miss a marketing exercise to build excitement and numbers for the next year. 

Just some ideas 

Thank Scott, being an organiser can be a thankless job at time.

We have one contest that we do something similar to what you describe. Each species section has for example if there were 5 places there would be 5 prizes close to a similar value, say rod & reel vs water blaster, 1st place getter get to choose 1st, some may not want a rod & reel and take the water blaster. Whats good about this method is invariably 2nd place is coming up to choose almost at the same time so 1st person has to make their mind up fast and obviously 5th gets whats left.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 11:20am
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We run as near as possible same prizes across all species. Depending what we have managed to secure, 1st is usually rod/reel.
Biggest puka, biggest gurnard, winning average for each species - same. If we have a better rod/reel combo then that may go to puka or something.
Alan

While the majority of the contest prizes are fishing related ie rod & reels I do look to mix it up a bit by adding in the likes of tools, bbq, clothing packs etc. Just how many rods & reels does one need.
Lucky angler prize is always something good like Bradley smokers, chilly bins etc
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote wayno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 11:29am
wayno View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm in a small fishing group which is an adjunct of a RSA.
We fish monthly for 3 species - Snapper, Gurnard & Kahawai.
Prizes are equal value for 1st, 2nd & 3rd heaviest of each species, and there is an average weight (of all fish weighed) which is a higher value than the 1st prize.
<edit> 1st prizes are equal, 2nd prizes are equal & 3rd prizes are equal, original could be read that all prizes are equal... My bad, bit poorly worded. <end edit>
We have a limit of 1 fish per species per angler. Anglers can win in each species if their fish is top 3.
2 prize draws each month 1 is a cash/voucher that can be won by anyone who has entered, and the other is a voucher which can only be won by someone who hasn't already got a prize.
We also run a points count through the year with a prize for the most points amassed (3 for 1st, 2 for 2nd, and 1 for 3rd).
And cash prize for the heaviest of each species weighed during the year. There is a max size limit on snapper of 60cm.

To be old and wise you must first be young and stupid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 12:37pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

h

That sounds like a good system. I have a mate that fishes with me a lot. He has a shed full of rod/reels he has won. Prob won more prizes than anybody in our club. He probably doesn't need another rod/reel.
Alan
Good system Real Deal. Forgot to add Mokau Club goes down to 5th place in each Specie also. If there are only a couple of fish caught in a specie the remaining prizes go in to a spot prize draw where everyone has a chance again of winning one. Alan serious fisho's like myself have a selected few combo's they like and use. Over the years Iv'e won alot of rod/reels also that are not wot I prefer, so out they go cheap on trademe or on here sometimes. Giving someone a new combo at a good price! Cant see the point in keeping them for display like your mate. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 1:28pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tzer. Those that moan about comp rules etc quiet simple really.Guess what bud your organising next event.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 1:46pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by wayno wayno wrote:

I'm in a small fishing group which is an adjunct of a RSA.
We fish monthly for 3 species - Snapper, Gurnard & Kahawai.
Prizes are equal value for 1st, 2nd & 3rd heaviest of each species, and there is an average weight (of all fish weighed) which is a higher value than the 1st prize.
<edit> 1st prizes are equal, 2nd prizes are equal & 3rd prizes are equal, original could be read that all prizes are equal... My bad, bit poorly worded. <end edit>
We have a limit of 1 fish per species per angler. Anglers can win in each species if their fish is top 3.
2 prize draws each month 1 is a cash/voucher that can be won by anyone who has entered, and the other is a voucher which can only be won by someone who hasn't already got a prize.
We also run a points count through the year with a prize for the most points amassed (3 for 1st, 2 for 2nd, and 1 for 3rd).
And cash prize for the heaviest of each species weighed during the year. There is a max size limit on snapper of 60cm.

We have a limit of 3 fish per person to weigh.
So what you saying is that in your contest a person can win a prize for each species but can a angler win all the prize places if they were fortunate to catch all the heaviest. Our small minority think that it only fair that they can win everything after all it is a contest.
To me this put a lot of anglers off entering if the top anglers are cleaning up all the time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 1:56pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pjc pjc wrote:

Tzer. Those that moan about comp rules etc quiet simple really.Guess what bud your organising next event.

Paul, yea I use that all the time but as we all know when it comes to them organising their a no show, happy to criticise your efforts though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 2:50pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I don't enter competitions very often. Probably the main reason is after a long day on the water I usually just don't like the length of time it takes to get prozegiving underway. Sometimes I would like to enter grandchildren but can't really hang around with them late into the evening for all division to be drawn. It's a thankless job, well done. Just something to consider. Cheers
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 4:08pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Hi Tzer, like yourself I've been involved in organising many fishing comps and have been 'the boss' for want of a better term for our annual Grunter Hunter for 10 years & our low key Family Day.
My tcw:  listen to all the grumbles, all the ideas and make your decision based on what you and your committee are happiest with. All of our comps are limited to one fish of each species per angler.

A common question I get asked (every year - multiple times) is why our Grunter Hunter is held on a Sunday. 'Why can't it be on a Saturday? The problem is that organising a comp takes time. I use enough of my holidays on fishing as it is and Saturday gives us time for those last minute things. Saturday comps also rule out kids and their parent who play Saturday sports - many of us can't fish Saturdays for that reason. If you cant clean your catch and boat after a Sunday catching gurnard you aren't trying hard enough.

I used to organise that comp for Queen's Birthday Weekend, but got a lot of complaints 'We want to go on holiday because it's a long weekend'. Go on holiday then was my reply. Eventually I changed it to suit the tides better and now I often get asked why we can't have the comp on QB! So we just tolerate that and work around which tides make for an easier to organise event. We can only get 2 boats in at a time at Te Toro at low tide and if that corresponds to weigh in time people don't have the foresight to organise themselves for that.- we got over 100 boats. Part of that problem is the comp is open to 'outsiders' who don't understand stuff like keeping the boat ramp clear and don't have someone who can back a trailer while someone else skippers the boat. We get 400 anglers for that.

We don't take entries on the day except for our Family Day. We get between 30 and 100 anglers for that

We keep our rules very simple.

We are strict about close off time for weigh in. I've seen a few people get angry over that one but it is easier to deal with that than an angler who loses out because they were in on time.

I've got a reputation for being a good harbour fisherman and especially a gurnard fisherman and I am no stranger to the 'podium'. Many people tell me they won't enter the Grunter Hunter because I'm fishing and I'll just win it anyway. Well here's the thing - I've not won it in ten years so why start now Big smile

One of my favourite comps is The Ice Breaker on the first weekend in July. You can fish anywhere in the country as long as you're back in for weigh in no later than 4.00pm on Sunday. It is over 3 days. Some people grizzle about having to store their fish for 3 days. Take ice. Don't fish the Friday, lots of options! Snapper Geoff won the snapper section last year. The prizes aren't huge but mostly we get around 80 anglers and it's almost always the same ones. we get 80 anglers for that

Our Classic is a 3 day event. Huge prizes and we get 300+ anglers. We get grumbles sometimes but not many. We listen and then change things if there is merit.

Our Fish'n Chicks gets 300+ anglers and can be very intense. The town comes alive that weekend.

The Clevedon vs Counties Interclub, very hotly contested all for bragging rights. A really cool event that gets maybe 40 to 60 overall.

The Marlin Money comp is a sweepstake event where entry fee goes into prize money. We advertise 3 days then pick the day close to the event when the weather looks best. West coast only maybe 100 anglers - winner takes all. A great concept.

While we do have regular anglers who do well - our boat does well in the harbour on most comps - it's surprising how some of the guns can miss out even in the middle of what has been a hot season for them.

We tweak the concepts every year so there are always some changes

Listen to the suggestions & consider them. if those suggestions are the result of sour grapes or from the poison few, ignore them. If your club members aren't happy it's the quiet ones who will complain and numbers will fall away but that's not usually seen straight away as all sorts of reason can keep people from entering.

Don't pay an MC, someone in your club will be really good, find him or her.  Work from a script and have a couple of really sharp guys who know exactly what's going on up on the stage to help out.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
 Post Reply Post Reply
Page  12>
Share Topic