Trailer bearing stuffed?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coroben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trailer bearing stuffed?
    Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 12:11pm
coroben View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Was towing a short distance yesterday (Kuaotunu to Whangapoua) and my trailer started making a funny noise. Sounded like a flat tire but obviously wasnt, bearing failure?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 1:39pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Take it for a bit of a tow and then feel the bearing. Warmish is ok (especially if you were towing at highway speeds) but HOT means the bearing is toast.

Better method is to jack the trailer up and give the wheel a spin, you'll hear/feel the rumble straight away.

But yeah, sounds like it's bearing time, not much else on a trailer that can make much in the way of noises (unless it's braked?)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coroben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 3:12pm
coroben View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

not braked single axle. was pretty hot when I got home, compared one to the other and it was significantly hotter, not burn your finger hot though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 5:39pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah, it's munted. Or at least well on its way to munted.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 5:55pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The appropriate way to check without being stupid enough to tow it again, poor advice Rozboon.

Is to jack up the trailer and rotate the wheel, is it rumbling.
Then hold top to bottom or east and west and see if there is movement.

If either of these things cause noise , grinding or sloppy movement, ya bearings are fuc. Ked.

Clearly your maintenance schedule is crap.

So if a problem, take the wheel off and replace bearings.

But considering you don't know why or do maintenance properly.

Go to a mechanical workshop and get someone to fix it.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 8:22pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Second that Mattoo - any doubt get it fixed.

Having lost a complete wheel at 100kph on an 18 month old trailer (6 months after a WOF) just after the Bren Derwens going North, thankfully on a straight road ... but ANZAC weekend on a sunday at 5.00am ... somehow we found somebody answering the phone. BIG ups to Kamo Marine we were fixed and on the water at Tutakaka by lunchtime.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 8:54pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

Second that Mattoo - any doubt get it fixed.

Having lost a complete wheel at 100kph on an 18 month old trailer (6 months after a WOF) just after the Bren Derwens going North, thankfully on a straight road ... but ANZAC weekend on a sunday at 5.00am ... somehow we found somebody answering the phone. BIG ups to Kamo Marine we were fixed and on the water at Tutakaka by lunchtime.

**** that can be scary

we had that happen many years ago towing back from Taupo - wheel separated on a fast right hander - and continued straight up the centreline for about 200m before gravity slowed it and dragged it off to the road shoulder. 

partially my mistake - was towing too fast in hindsight - and had it hit a car coming the other way...
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 9:00pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

The appropriate way to check without being stupid enough to tow it again, poor advice Rozboon.

If either of these things cause noise , grinding or sloppy movement, ya bearings are fuc. Ked.

yep - get the wheel off the ground and rotate+twist to see if there s any grumbling or slop

if there s the slightest doubt as to their condition - recommend you replace.

get or specify japanese-made NSK bearings - ive found they last the longest. 

then install 'bearing buddy' grease filled protectors and live happily ever after...
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 10:30pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yes some bearings are better than others. I never checked or maintained my 18ft Boat unbraked trailer for 6 years without a issue. I hear of others having issues regularly. Sounds like I was lucky and a bit dangerous. Good reminder thread  
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 4:46am
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good advice here - I am in the habit after towing any distance touch wheel hubs each side - they get warm on a trip but you soon know whats normal - if getting hot....

And yes jack up wheel regularly and before a wof or boat service and spin/check for play.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 8:35am
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Don't wait for WOF time, check them more regularly than that..
It's your fishing trip that will be ruined by a failure..

I carry a spare kit in my wagon and my trailer spare is mounted on a full hub and stub axle..
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 9:20am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Clearly your maintenance schedule is crap

Maybe not.. any rumble, the slightest , is stuffed, a little play  a slight tighten,  but IMPORTANT, never tighten till feel any drag,, should be nil drag.

The most common failure of bearings is installation, not the bearing unless a high lead content cheap Chinese bearing.

Use the correct grease .. for marine RED (not blue) brand name (eg evininrude triple guard)
 Use the marine grade rear seals
 Using palm work into the bearing.
Make sure seated well.
On install ever tighten so there is any drag, but there must also be no top/ bottom play
Bearing buddies, if over pump you blow the rear seal cause water to get in.. You get to the ramp hubs warm, drop into cold water , hub cavity cools, water sucks in.
 With buddies, pump up till spring is near all the way out.
And re check the buddy spring on a very regular basis.

Your bearing will last for yrs if do so.

Oh and after installing, re check bottom top play and re set the castle nut.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 12:16pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Clearly your maintenance schedule is crap

Maybe not.. any rumble, the slightest , is stuffed, a little play  a slight tighten,  but IMPORTANT, never tighten till feel any drag,, should be nil drag.

The most common failure of bearings is installation, not the bearing unless a high lead content cheap Chinese bearing.

Use the correct grease .. for marine RED (not blue) brand name (eg evininrude triple guard)
 Use the marine grade rear seals
 Using palm work into the bearing.
Make sure seated well.
On install ever tighten so there is any drag, but there must also be no top/ bottom play
Bearing buddies, if over pump you blow the rear seal cause water to get in.. You get to the ramp hubs warm, drop into cold water , hub cavity cools, water sucks in.
 With buddies, pump up till spring is near all the way out.
And re check the buddy spring on a very regular basis.

Your bearing will last for yrs if do so.

Oh and after installing, re check bottom top play and re set the castle nut.
X2 never had a bearing fail till this boat i bought last year and bearings just replaced before sale and one rumbles now - either cheap ones or not fitted properly i reckon.
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 1:14pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I checked all wof points on my tandom braked trailer in the weekend and pumped up the bearing buddies...brake fluid.     Passed wof this morning and parked up at home again ready for a mish at a moments noticeThumbs Up
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote coroben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 5:13pm
coroben View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

ouch
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 5:29pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I know,

But frank considered and knowledgable advice is what I prefer, and what you should take heed of.
As well as the advice above.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 8:16am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 11:29am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I know,

But frank considered and knowledgable advice is what I prefer, and what you should take heed of.
As well as the advice above.

There's giving concise advice and there's being a pedantic ass. Think about which one you were.

If you're still stuck, refer this post, where you were undoubtedly the latter:

https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/sounder_topic134134_post1793369.html?KW=#1793369

(For a laugh, also a hypocrite: had a big whinge about someone using the word "bastards" and then clearly attempted to circumvent the forum's profanity filter in your post above)

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote coroben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 12:50pm
coroben View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

us simple folk have not quite reached MATTOOS level of eloquence in matters of the english language, apologies

jacked up wheel and there is a definite rumble. local mechanic contacted. cheers for the help, however condescending
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 5:24pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Im a bit with Mattoos bluntness...call it as it really is

There are many a trailer on the side of the road simply because bearings not checked.. WoF or not.
Some of them cause accidents and occasionally ppl die.
simple and basic maintenance checks outside a WoF check.
 Wheel nuts, bearings suspension are not like say .. a dead battery, or a lamp gone out.

There is a very good reason that when comes to wheels/ suspension are taken very very seriously.. ppl die

And if want to know how to do bearings, from removing the old shells , using palm of the hand to pack the grease in the bearing, putting in new bearings, without a press etc.. step by step..
 There is a old post several yrs back I put up
 Its not rocket science stuff.

OH and will also mention wheel nuts here..
Every time after a trip out after wash down and everything dry.. a quick spray of all wheel nuts with a inox/ crc type product.
When put them on, a little bit of grease on the threads.

Number trailers tuck on the side of the road where the wheel nuts have been snapped off because rusted.. the have to go buy new studs and put in on the side of the road...
 Far easier to advoid.

Also NEVER  NEVER have torque up wheel nuts with a rattle gun.. NEVER.. even if its the type shop..
 Torque up a couple nuts with a torque wrench.. borrow the wrench at the tyre shop.. If they dont have one never go back there again... PERIOD...
 Then once torqued up get out your wheel nut spinner and get familiar with how tight the nuts are...
 You may well be surprised how little rather than hard..

Over torqued wheel nuts cause stress. distortions and eventually failure.
 One comes off, dont think " oh have another 4"  Doesnt work that way.
 One comes off , the load around the rim is un even and the rest loosen then snap one at a time.
You will know more often than not, when the wheel passes u going down the road in he on coming lane...
Page  12>