Baitcaster reccomendations

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CodHeadfromHull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baitcaster reccomendations
    Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 10:05am
CodHeadfromHull View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi there,
I’m currently fishing softies and micro jigs with a spinning reel but quite keen to invest in a baitcaster reel because I’ve got an overhead rod in the garage that’s perfect for using on the kayak.

Can anyone recommend a good baitcaster reel for around $200?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 10:53am
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

For just over 200 ($239), you can look at an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6000 series. Casts well with very light baits. If you can find one that is Swedish manufactured, even better.

I have a few, some older than 20 years.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 2:22pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Calcutta 200d is my favourite, used most weekends from kayak, still going strong after 5 yrs after one service and that was after a dunking. Great reel for light baits and even big baits, and lures. Lives on a hearty rise light pe 1.5 jig rod. Prefer it to low profile baitcasters like Okuma Citrix, Shimano Tranx, and Diawa  Lexa. 
Recently sold virtually new Lexa 200 to a friend as it wasn’t getting used. Nice reel but not the little workhorse the Calcutta is... has taken some nice snapper over years to up around 9kg and odd legal king.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 2:34pm
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have a Tranx 200. Seems to be preforming well. I like the seal in this reel as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 3:08pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The price range is around $200. I don't believe Tranx or Calcutta new are anywhere near that price bracket.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 3:46pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Keith C Keith C wrote:

For just over 200 ($239), you can look at an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 6000 series. Casts well with very light baits. If you can find one that is Swedish manufactured, even better.

I have a few, some older than 20 years.

I was going to say this too, but thought I'd be laughed off the forum! I have three of them and they just keep going despite getting knocked about by kingfish regularly. Definitely seek out the Swedish-made models. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gmacx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 5:04pm
gmacx View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have Okuma citrix, shimano citica, shimano curado, shimano chronarch, daiwa tatula, okuma komdos and some others. The Komodos are by far the nicest and smoothest of all. got them for a bargain off ebay a while back - would happily purchase another couple.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2020 at 4:51pm
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The price range is around $200. I don't believe Tranx or Calcutta new are anywhere near that price bracket.

Your right Keith I missed the price range. I also have a genpu I use on a light 2 to 5 kg 7’ backbone elite rod with micro jigs and small kaburas. Dynamite little reel and have caught a couple of 6 kg plus snapper and just legal kingfish on it no worries. Just need to play the fish and not horse them in. I upgraded the drags to Carbontex as the felt struggled with the bigger fish. It’s also my trout jig rod and reel so quite a versatile set up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 2:05pm
PJay View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Shimano Citica $199 on Marine Deals - they run out, but get them back in again.

I've caught some damn fine snapper on Citicas, and the occasional kingfish.

I am more a fan of low profile baitcasters than the barrel-shaped ones, because it's easier to fish the rod and reel as a unit - they're designed so your thumb wraps around them for both casting and playing fish.
PJ
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CodHeadfromHull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 3:40pm
Bronze
Bronze

Great stuff thank you guys for your comments. Also good to know about the more expensive reels because if everything goes well with a cheaper reel then I can consider upgrading long term!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 8:09pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Important that you take the Rod with when buying your reel. Fit the proposed purchase to the rod and see how the combination feels in your hand. Should feel balanced. Important as well that the line weight you fit to the reel aligns with the rod spec.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CodHeadfromHull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2020 at 7:47am
Bronze
Bronze

Important that you take the Rod with when buying your reel. Fit the proposed purchase to the rod and see how the combination feels in your hand. Should feel balanced. Important as well that the line weight you fit to the reel aligns with the rod spec.

Good point I’ve already decided to take the rod to the shops. It’s a one piece, 5 footer I think. Very light weight too so looking forward to using it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jiggy Jig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 1:29pm
Jiggy Jig View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I love the Swedish made Abu Garcia too and have several of them. My only complaint is most of mine are right-handed and I've switched to left-handed for bait casting. I used the 7000 for surf casting in the UK, great reals. Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 10:17pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

In your price range I'd give another vote to the Abu reels.   As others have said look for the Swedish made ones, they are great reliable little reels.
I've caught many sailfish on an Abu 7000 loaded with 4kg line in the north west of WA.  Reel performed faultlessly.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 9:06pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

TiCA Caiman 200, the drag wasn’t great however, jerky and lost a couple of fish.
Serviced by Swordfish Steve, buttery smooth and landed a 20lb on 15 lb braid and a Colt Sniper 28g jig.... cost around $200 and primarily bought as a left hand wind bait caster but I prefer my Calcutta 201.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Almo1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 11:03pm
Almo1960 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have a C4 4600 I use for micro jigging/baitcasting. Great reel.

Can anyone direct me to where I might be able to get a power handle for it here in NZ.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CBF-Whk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 8:46am
CBF-Whk View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Tranx my go to reel