Tuatua gathering at Papamoa Beach

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlueMarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tuatua gathering at Papamoa Beach
    Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 8:30am
BlueMarlin View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I'm moving over to Tauranga this weekend and would like to get some Tuatua from Papamoa Beach.  Last time I tried to get some was in Autumn and I came out of the surf empty handed.  I went off Maranui Street.

Was I in the wrong spot?, or are there not many Tuatua around Papamoa these days?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 1:29pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I’d go for a walk at low tide and note spots where there are dead shells on the beach and try there. Used to be stacks along that beach. You making fritters or just a bucket full while watching TV. Either way works for meThumbs Up

Though I am more partial for the cockle. 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlueMarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 1:56pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

I’d go for a walk at low tide and note spots where there are dead shells on the beach and try there. Used to be stacks along that beach. You making fritters or just a bucket full while watching TV. Either way works for meThumbs Up

Though I am more partial for the cockle. 

Good idea to look for dead shells. I'll give that a go. Thanks
I'm going to eat em straight from the bucket.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 6:14pm
taurangatroutmaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Used to be heaps all along Papamoa haven't looked for 10 years or so though
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 8:27pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They're still there.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlueMarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 9:25pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by taurangatroutmaster taurangatroutmaster wrote:

Used to be heaps all along Papamoa haven't looked for 10 years or so though

Yeah I made one attempt in autumn to gather Tuatua  but before that I hadn't tried for Tuatua off Paps for 10 years or so, either.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlueMarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 9:35pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

They're still there.

That's good to hear. I remember as a teenager visting Paps once in a while and always scoring hard with the Tuatuas.

I'm moving over to TGA this weekend and I'm already drooling at my mouth thinking about Tuatuas.Wink