Fishing straight after the full moon

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlueMarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fishing straight after the full moon
    Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 4:01pm
BlueMarlin View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Does anyone notice a drop off in catches in the 3-4 days following the full moon? 
I've been told that fishing on the full moon is fine but the next 3-4 days after the full moon the fish go off the bite.

What has been your guys experiences if you don't mind sharing?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 10:02am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Lot of old threads on the subject..
 I regularly check the moon /tide stuff.
 Only out of interest, there seems a little regularly to it, thu the biggest regardlss of the moon is the tide change and bit drop off.

End of the day thu, If you use the moon tides to catch fish, then match up weekends, those where dont have other events, the weather.. tides (where crossing bars etc) you wil hardly ever get out fishing.

For most it is about being out there, good company, open air, and a feed is a regular bonus , if get out often.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlueMarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 12:07pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Lot of old threads on the subject..
 I regularly check the moon /tide stuff.
 Only out of interest, there seems a little regularly to it, thu the biggest regardlss of the moon is the tide change and bit drop off.

End of the day thu, If you use the moon tides to catch fish, then match up weekends, those where dont have other events, the weather.. tides (where crossing bars etc) you wil hardly ever get out fishing.

For most it is about being out there, good company, open air, and a feed is a regular bonus , if get out often.

Thanks for the information.  I'll try and dig up some old threads and have a readSmile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 1:08pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have always believed that 3 days leading up to the full moon to be good and up to three days after to be crap and with the new moon 3 days before to be good, etc.

But then again I did catch my first marlin on the full moon and had a broadbill on that night, so go figure...
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlueMarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 1:14pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

I have always believed that 3 days leading up to the full moon to be good and up to three days after to be crap and with the new moon 3 days before to be good, etc.

But then again I did catch my first marlin on the full moon and had a broadbill on that night, so go figure...

Ah I see.  I couldn't remember if I was told whether it was 3 days or 4 days that are bad after the full moon.  I'm just planning a head here for next weeks full moon.  So if it's only 3 days then I can go fishing on Sunday. SweetBig smile

I didn't know the 3 days leading up to the full moon is good.  I'll check the tides for next week and I might throw a line in earlier than planned.

Fishing on the full moon is apparently fine.  It's only the days after the full moon.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 5:33pm
taurangatroutmaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I find 3 days either side of the full moon to be slower fishing generally but every now and then it fishes really well on those days so worth having a go any time
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 6:29pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by BlueMarlin BlueMarlin wrote:

Ah I see.  I couldn't remember if I was told whether it was 3 days or 4 days that are bad after the full moon.  I'm just planning a head here for next weeks full moon.  So if it's only 3 days then I can go fishing on Sunday. SweetBig smile

I didn't know the 3 days leading up to the full moon is good.  I'll check the tides for next week and I might throw a line in earlier than planned.

Fishing on the full moon is apparently fine.  It's only the days after the full moon.

In general, with a full and new moon it means spring tides and so the water levels or tidal range is higher and with it comes greater water movements and currents lines.
This can work in the fishes favour or not, dependant upon what we are targeting. Bait fish and predators have to work harder to swim in, with or against the current or hide in the eddies where the movement is slower. Some fish like Kingies won't bite until the lower tide when the water movement is slower or nothing and they have the advantage over the baitfish and so won't expend their energy when water movements is greater.
Gamefish can use the fast currents to their advantage, like tuna species that fly up an upwelling above a reef or bottom structure feeding on krill and phyto plankton and then skute off to one side avoiding predators like blue marlin cruising in the same area.

At night the full moon pulls many species from the abyss towards the epi-pelagic surface layer. Zoo plankton swarm on the chlorophyll and phyto Plankton, shrimp and squid rise to feed on these, plus tuna and swordfish. And I dare say many other species, to the point that they are are all probably full after an evening of surface smorgasbord and so during the day they remain quiet and not interested in feeding... the 3 days after philosophy.

And then there is the bite/feed time theory of when the moon is half way between above and below us. Eric Morman - Lethal (RIP) was big on this. And sites like www.tides4fishing.com show these bite times too. I use them as a guide not an absolute, cos with the sea and nature nothing is on point or scientifically on time. To me it is all about observing all the elements, using the tools and accepting trial and error. This is what keeps us coming back and searching for more ways to beat the fish. Otherwise it would be boring if we could predict when we would be successful, success is born out of tenacity.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2020 at 7:45pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great explanation above there, thanks Al.
Always got there are bigger tides and therefore tidal flows but that really puts it into perspective.
As an aside, have struggled with bigger tides with gurnard as strong tide flow as seemed to impact bait presentation. Might need heavier sinker for these times, as suspect fish still reasonably keen with higher tolerance to fast water than my rig of choice. Still caught em when tide slowed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 7:24am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I agree totally with the full moon theory after 50yrs on the water. Good up to the full moon but definately drops of for 3-4 days after. That being said, there will always be times were this theory is not 100% correct.
If organising a trip away i ALWAYS make sure it is in a good "moon" window and hope the weather plays ball
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlueMarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 10:37am
Silver
Silver

In general, with a full and new moon it means spring tides and so the water levels or tidal range is higher and with it comes greater water movements and currents lines.
This can work in the fishes favour or not, dependant upon what we are targeting. Bait fish and predators have to work harder to swim in, with or against the current or hide in the eddies where the movement is slower. Some fish like Kingies won't bite until the lower tide when the water movement is slower or nothing and they have the advantage over the baitfish and so won't expend their energy when water movements is greater.
Gamefish can use the fast currents to their advantage, like tuna species that fly up an upwelling above a reef or bottom structure feeding on krill and phyto plankton and then skute off to one side avoiding predators like blue marlin cruising in the same area.

At night the full moon pulls many species from the abyss towards the epi-pelagic surface layer. Zoo plankton swarm on the chlorophyll and phyto Plankton, shrimp and squid rise to feed on these, plus tuna and swordfish. And I dare say many other species, to the point that they are are all probably full after an evening of surface smorgasbord and so during the day they remain quiet and not interested in feeding... the 3 days after philosophy.

And then there is the bite/feed time theory of when the moon is half way between above and below us. Eric Morman - Lethal (RIP) was big on this. And sites like www.tides4fishing.com show these bite times too. I use them as a guide not an absolute, cos with the sea and nature nothing is on point or scientifically on time. To me it is all about observing all the elements, using the tools and accepting trial and error. This is what keeps us coming back and searching for more ways to beat the fish. Otherwise it would be boring if we could predict when we would be successful, success is born out of tenacity.

Great break down on the relationship between the moon, tides and fish behaviour.  Alot of insight there.Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlueMarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 10:44am
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

I agree totally with the full moon theory after 50yrs on the water. Good up to the full moon but definately drops of for 3-4 days after. That being said, there will always be times were this theory is not 100% correct.
If organising a trip away i ALWAYS make sure it is in a good "moon" window and hope the weather plays ball

That's a fair bit of experience you got there. Okay no fishing expeditions for me for the 4 days after the full moon.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 8:00am
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

That's a fair bit of experience you got there. Okay no fishing expeditions for me for the 4 days after the full moon.

I wouldnt let it stop you going fishing if the conditions are favourable and you have the free time to get out!

But same as Kaveman, for any serious trips away etc I will try and line it up with a decent moon phase. 

LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BlueMarlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2020 at 9:01am
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by JK JK wrote:

I wouldnt let it stop you going fishing if the conditions are favourable and you have the free time to get out!

But same as Kaveman, for any serious trips away etc I will try and line it up with a decent moon phase.

I haven't done much surf casting over the years but I always come home empty handed and puts me off surf casting for months.  I'd rather give myself the best possible chance of catching fish, even if I have to wait for everything (tides, moon ,weather, season, etc) to line up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
Share Topic