Hamilton Lake perch - Where are they?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hamilton Lake perch - Where are they?
    Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 3:39pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Over winter a few years ago you could easily catch a good number of perch over winter.
However, the last 2 years have been very hard going and catching very few. The lures that caught lots are getting nothing.
The weeds at the edges seem to have disappeared and wonder have HCC been spraying and affected the fish life????
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 10:38pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

there has always been good numbers of perch in that lake and big. But there are a lot of experiments done there from fresh water mussels to trout and weed control. You maybe right something has changed that may have impacted Perth. They are very aggressive which is what I enjoyed when targeting them but also may have made them a target. 

A Swiss mate of mine has talked me into eating the next I catch. Apparently very good eating 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 12:10am
taurangatroutmaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What lures are you using? I've done pretty good on rapalas in there but haven't fished it for a couple years
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 7:17am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

As a child, I used to summer holiday in W Ireland and there was a lake on our farm that had trout & perch and it wasn't uncommon to catch a perch up to 3 1/2 lb and I used to bring them back to eat - no electricity and cooked on an open peat fire. They were way better than trout. All caught on a worm.

Lures that work well:- black/gold Toby, Veltic with a wet fly instead of a treble, Rapala and various soft plastics. A red-head with in-built upwards hook works well, too - that catches all fish...trout, kahawai, skipjack and albacore, too.
The lake isn't deep near the bank with submerged weeds so a not too heavy lure.
I've seen some Chinese take perch, rudd and catfish home to eat but I don't.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 10:22pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

black and gold veltex lure was my go to and have gotten perch up to 3-4pounds. 5 or 6 a day. Often keep hitting the same spot after picking up one. Great fighting in shallow and light gear. Hamilton lake was infested with Perch 

Never thought of replacing treble with fly...less weed hook ups too. Great tip. 

The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 12:04pm
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The electro fishing boat has been really busy lately, ive seen it in out on ham lake at least 4 times. That thing puts a dent in any fish numbers. You should see how many that thing stuns when they zap the water,amazing to watch. 

There ares till decent perch in ham lake. i have been catching a few now n then by kayak. But yes certainly not as many and places that used to fire are lacking in fish.

If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 11:54am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for that. There are (were) some spots that always held fish but I've blanked there every time.
Never knew that electro-fishing was going on. Who is doing it? HCC?
Are tench getting zapped too?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 1:22pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

Thanks for that. There are (were) some spots that always held fish but I've blanked there every time.
Never knew that electro-fishing was going on. Who is doing it? HCC?
Are tench getting zapped too?

I don't think the electrodes target certain species
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2020 at 4:50pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Electro-fishing doesn't necessarily kill the fish, it stuns them and allows them be scooped up, surveyed and released back in to the water, or removed. I hope it's not the latter for you guys that enjoy perch fishing and not another misguided attempt to remove non-indigenous species.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote O'Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 9:45pm
O'Neill View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Has anyone spoken to Fish and game about the Electrofishing? We certainly don't have a friend in Mr Hicks at the Uni if he is involved in this! If they really want to use that boat effectively get rid of the catfish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 3:35pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good point. I know a manager at F&G and will give him a ring
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote O'Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 4:07pm
O'Neill View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Already emailed will see what Adam says. In the past he has been on the boat monitoring what has been happening. But give him a call also, the more who call to find out the more F and G know that people are interested in an urban fishery.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2020 at 5:21pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I rang Adam today and he told me that he'd had contact from someone else.
I told him my story. He told me about Waikato Uni doing monitoring but not heard of any fish-kills. Also he said he'd do a netting closer to summer and will add any news to the F&G newsletter.
He told me of a group of Russians setting nets to harvest perch in a lake North of Auckland. They followed a lead and found guys emptying vodka bottles in a van prior to hauling in their kai!!
Also got told that Turtle Lake at Hamilton Gardens have perch so might give that a go to see if they still exist.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 12:26pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tried my hand at Turtle Lake, Hamilton Gardens. First cast, a small perch on a Rapala.
Was retying my line when a Chinese couple stopped beside me and watched me. The guy, who had no English, offered to tie up a 10 lb fluoro leader to my 6 lb braid. I handed it to him and he made a really good job then tied swivel on. Obviously a fisherman that knew his knots well. Thanked him and shook hands.
No more for nearly an hour so moved to opposite side to the South American installation, which had a tail wind. Caught heaps of small ones. probably a school about 30 M out. Never had one that small at Hamilton Lake but at least I caught some.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pgelid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 10:10pm
pgelid View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi guys
So whereabouts could be a good spot to start on Hamilton lake?
Is there any time in the year that fishing is more productive?
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 8:51am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I've caught perch almost everywhere around the lake from the playground at Southern end, especially the old water slide. Then, all the way alongside the domain road.
My biggest was off the point where the power boaters operate from.
If you have a kayak, then the SW are off the water lillies is the deepest spot in the lake and the biggest fish live there.
There are tench in the lake especially the NW side near Innes Common. They eat bread, sweetcorn and grow to 2.5 kg.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 9:04am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

new a guy who belonged to the course fishing club in Hamilton who had a bucket and pump and would catch livies at turtle lake Hamilton. Then took the livies to the wooden walkway that goes over turtle lake by waterfall and free spool them and he got good sized perch that hung out under walkway. Waters good so eatable.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 9:08am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

are there turtles back in turtle lake? I know they caught and removed the breeding pair many years ago but also heard of one or two releases of pets back in.

For years the large two were left and became a attraction hence the lakes name. But a few small ones appeared. Then when polytechnic were doing lakeside landscaping project they found a clutch of eggs in a sand bank it was known possible turtles to breed in cold NZ and babies were killed adults went to local zoo I was told...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pgelid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 11:19am
pgelid View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the response guys
I’m into fly fishing, so will have a try next I’m up there. Probably will start with an intermediate line and small baitfish imitation flies
Cheers
Pedro
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pgelid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 11:25am
pgelid View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks guys
I’m into flyfishing so will give it a try next time up there, anyone catching them on a fly?
Cheers
Pedro
Page  12>