Detroit Diesel

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Detroit Diesel
    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 7:01pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bit late in asking as deal has been done.
Nephew brought a 26ft launch with a 1988 4 stroke detroit 250hp turbo??unsure 1900hrs and stern leg. Motor apparently rebuilt 2019.
Questions are what to look out for in stern legs    How reliable are detroits??apart from the usual stuff oil changes at 100hrs?? filter changes (fuel) drain water seperator(presume one fitted)What do you have to watch on stern legs or what needs regular maintenance?   Have read a bit about 4s detroits and do not have the best of names they say 2 stroke is better
Boat arrives Auckland end of August.

Any advice appreciated
Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 8:18pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have no knowledge of this particular engine but 4 strokes are/is newer tech with diesels and Detroit has always been a great American built engine in the boating/marine world.

My Navy Engineer/Stokers rate Detroit very highly.ClapStar
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 9:05pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like a fuel pincher. Depending on who you talk to, they are a great motor or a dog. My experience, dont run hard and always keep an eye on the temp gauge, keep with the servicing, watch the temp gauge, and if you do have to run above 2600rpm then keep a close watch on the temperature gauge..
I do love these motors however for their deep throaty rumble but because of their design they are prone to overheating. Be prepared also for the fuel bill as if it is the fuel pincher then there is 8.2 liters of detroit diesel that needs to be fed!!!
As for the stern leg, good luck!! 
Part time Devils Advocate, Fulltime procrastinator
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whippersnappyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 9:49pm
whippersnappyr View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I thought Detroit diesels were 2 strokes?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 10:57am
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

this is what many refer to as a 'fuel pincher'?

if so - broadly considered okay - but dont like to be run hard because they tend to blow head gaskets - only had 10? bolt heads - often with catastrophic results

and the fact youre dealing with a motor that is now 30 years old - and i would expect parts will be hard to come by these days

something to follow up on...
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 12:40pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Bounty Hunter Bounty Hunter wrote:

this is what many refer to as a 'fuel pincher'?

if so - broadly considered okay - but dont like to be run hard because they tend to blow head gaskets - only had 10? bolt heads - often with catastrophic results

and the fact youre dealing with a motor that is now 30 years old - and i would expect parts will be hard to come by these days

something to follow up on...
Thanks,unfortunately where the boat was/is situated not easy to get a mechanical survey,but has receipts for full engine rebuild,he kind of rushed in ,I am familiar with bukhs/yanmars and shaft drive and stuffing boxes,did tell him to wait no . 
I was/am concerned with the 1900hrs .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 5:43pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well he since on sold the boat.(last Monday)never got out in it but looking forward to his new ride. Made a decent profit,enough to buy a new Stabicraft 1850 cab with a four stroke,apparently arrives late December.