vacuum sealer

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: vacuum sealer
    Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 10:11am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK - these came up during discussion in Lockdown. So I was convinced. Reading the recommendations I went with the Marine Deals one - Innovation.
Just done my first test run - a bunch of this seasons ducks. Don't have any fresh fish to practise on right now.
Q.
The manual says can only use their special bags. Which is fine - except that I have to purchase via mail order/rural courier etc.
Are there other sources of those 'special' bags, or are you guys using something else?
Thanks
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 10:56am
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have used one of these for years, in fact got it direct from Mark (Rip mate), does a lot of work as we vacpack all the meat when we head away on the boat for a couple of months.

In general cheap bags don't work well for both initial seal and longer term storage but it does depend on what you are packing. 

We have bought bags from both The Warehouse and the Marine Deals/buy direct ones.

Haven't had problems with the warehouse ones with soft items, fish, steak etc but only use the proper ones when we are packing things with edges, like chops with bones, smoked fish with fins etc. You do have to be careful with the "thinner" bags if you are doing a lot at once as the sealer mechanism does get hotter and hotter with use so can just melt all the way through if you don't keep an eye on it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Otto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 11:22am
Otto View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I buy mine from https://zeropak.co.nz/vacuum-rolls-bags/
Also on-line but a good family run business with good service and prices, especially when they have specials.
Always buy the rolls.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 11:28am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tried  brand bags, rolls etc
Best we have found (performance also) is the elcheapo rolls from K mart.

Make bags to size, and can seal ends 2 at a time.
Even vac pack, subject to pac shape 2 at a time.

We use Innovation and a sunbeam.. the one with the roll inside side by side when packing large quantities like a beast or lot fish.

Hint: use a felt pen to label, and label on the inside of the flaps after sealing. Otherwise it tends to rub off in the freezer and can leave nasty stains on the kitchen bench.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fenien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 12:46pm
Fenien View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Just buy the rolls from Briscoes when they are having their usual weekend sales,have never had any issues with them.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 12:54pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Right - so the specification that just the Innovation bags 'have' to be used, is incorrect. Thought maybe different composition or construction.
Makes it much easier if can buy local bags.
Yes - had a look at machine types on the w/end and Briscoes had a sale on some bags.
Thanks
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RAMCO600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 1:02pm
RAMCO600 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I get mine off trademe,100 pre-cut bags for around $30 includes postage
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tinfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 1:33pm
Tinfish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have a flash as semi-commercial sealer and believe it or not, the cheap rolls or bags from the red shed do the job just as good as the flash ones Wink
Stand up to be seen, speak up to be heard. BUT shut up to be appreciated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 4:47pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK - Wharehouse?
Just been looking - Wharehouse, Noel Leeming and Harvey Norman and Countdown.
Zilch. But I know Briscoes had some. And can try K mart.
Main thing is I can buy local source - don't need to order via Marine Deals.
Thanks
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 4:59pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

K mart yep
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 5:43pm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 6:08pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Al.
Will if I need. Just prefer to buy it local. We have issues with rural courier delivery - end up chasing around often.
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 6:43pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sorry Mate, I forget you are out in the sticks/coastal Hawkes Bay or under a palm tree in VTU.Clap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 7:19pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Sorry Mate, I forget you are out in the sticks/coastal Hawkes Bay or under a palm tree in VTU.Clap

Next week or two - hopefully. May be sending some fishing reports soonSmile
Alan
Legasea Legend member