Housebus vs Caravan

Page  <12345 6>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 5:15pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Some pros I've worked out for a caravan

No RUCs
Cheaper rego
No HT license required
Hopefully no expensive mechanical repairs
More access to remote places
Modern ones are insulated
Easier to sell

There's a few more I can't think of right now.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 5:29pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good summary so far.
But buy the right van, no HT. Mine also ran on a WoF. Daihatsu Munro conversion. Light weight.
Yes - mechanical repairs - prob correct.
Mine was insulated.
Remote spots - you should have done a few trips with me.... or Bazza.
But your thought processes are along the right lines. I can't answer the Q for you  because the answer will be unique to your application .
But you are on the right track.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 6:17pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This subject has nothing to do with fishing.
Should it be banned.
Is there not a zone for accomodation .
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 6:58pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well it is a tough job for Smudge. Doubt most of us would volunteer? But is Reel Deal's input nothing to do with fishing? Or mine or Bazzas? I only used my camper for fishing trips. Mostly remote.
But where do you draw the line?
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 7:16pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I think Bazza won Lotto, but the wife won't let her ole car go...LOL

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 7:29pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

With your good lady & her long hot showers, when doing the motorhome or caravan, this is truely one luxury we all want regularly
We budget for 60L water per day. Thats a shower each plus dishes & rinsing off anything plus water usage for the dunny. Many others we have met go way lower than these figures. Some mates we traveled with can do it on 30L
Get familiar with the "navy shower" which is - wet yourself off, turn shower off, soap up all over, rinse off, done
Lots of motorhomes around the 6.5m range on a 6T ruc (car licence) have 180L fresh & grey tanks on truck bases. Most have towbars.... suzuki jimny are very popular to tow.
Stretching the water by showers every other day, just washing your bits on the off days
This is a subject that comes up alot with newbies... haha

Microwaves, hair driers, toasters or any electrical thingy that has an element, including coffee machines... we do not use on the road, too much heavy draw down on the house batteries...up to 125ah or more discharge, a nice way to kill batteries if not a big bank of batteries to begin with. Also need a roof of solar panels to replace what has been used
Lots of owners do use the above, this shortens the life of lead acid or AGM batteries fast, real fast actually
Lithium batteries is a more suited choice

Alan L
Nice wagon you got there
Our first motorhome was a Munro on a Ford Trader base 6.5m long... photo on my avatar
Had a double bed above the cab, u-shape lounge down the back, separate dunny & shower, kool classic wagon
Did heaps of updates for full time living / travelling....slow as buggary on any hill haha

Most of our mates have UK caravans... 2010 onwards tandem axle
Euro / UK built caravans provides the best bang for your buck. Heating, double glazing, well insulated, big fidge freezers plus more is standard & lighter to tow
They do have lower loading abilities ranging from just 200kg upwards to 700-ish. Most are at the lower end. This means - water, food piss clothes fishing gear, boat, ebikes & anything going into your storage is included in that loading capacity
Aust & NZ caravans are heavier, up to 3.5T fully laden. Some have generous water capacities & have heavier loading, built more robust as standard.
Needs a decent tow wagon. Do your home work here. Many brands claim 3.5T towing. This towing topic comes up in the boat forum on here.
Best to suss out the caravanners forum in aust - https://www.caravanersforum.com/

Having said all that, the ideal motorhome or caravan does not exist first time round, me thinks
When you get your second or third van, you will have your ideal rig

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 7:30pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

This subject has nothing to do with fishing.
Should it be banned.
Is there not a zone for accomodation .

The whole point of the trip is to fish our way around the country.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 8:18pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by BananaBoat BananaBoat wrote:

With your good lady & her long hot showers, when doing the motorhome or caravan, this is truely one luxury we all want regularly
We budget for 60L water per day. Thats a shower each plus dishes & rinsing off anything plus water usage for the dunny. Many others we have met go way lower than these figures. Some mates we traveled with can do it on 30L
Get familiar with the "navy shower" which is - wet yourself off, turn shower off, soap up all over, rinse off, done
Lots of motorhomes around the 6.5m range on a 6T ruc (car licence) have 180L fresh & grey tanks on truck bases. Most have towbars.... suzuki jimny are very popular to tow.
Stretching the water by showers every other day, just washing your bits on the off days
This is a subject that comes up alot with newbies... haha

Microwaves, hair driers, toasters or any electrical thingy that has an element, including coffee machines... we do not use on the road, too much heavy draw down on the house batteries...up to 125ah or more discharge, a nice way to kill batteries if not a big bank of batteries to begin with. Also need a roof of solar panels to replace what has been used
Lots of owners do use the above, this shortens the life of lead acid or AGM batteries fast, real fast actually
Lithium batteries is a more suited choice

Alan L
Nice wagon you got there
Our first motorhome was a Munro on a Ford Trader base 6.5m long... photo on my avatar
Had a double bed above the cab, u-shape lounge down the back, separate dunny & shower, kool classic wagon
Did heaps of updates for full time living / travelling....slow as buggary on any hill haha

Most of our mates have UK caravans... 2010 onwards tandem axle
Euro / UK built caravans provides the best bang for your buck. Heating, double glazing, well insulated, big fidge freezers plus more is standard & lighter to tow
They do have lower loading abilities ranging from just 200kg upwards to 700-ish. Most are at the lower end. This means - water, food piss clothes fishing gear, boat, ebikes & anything going into your storage is included in that loading capacity
Aust & NZ caravans are heavier, up to 3.5T fully laden. Some have generous water capacities & have heavier loading, built more robust as standard.
Needs a decent tow wagon. Do your home work here. Many brands claim 3.5T towing. This towing topic comes up in the boat forum on here.
Best to suss out the caravanners forum in aust - https://www.caravanersforum.com/

Having said all that, the ideal motorhome or caravan does not exist first time round, me thinks
When you get your second or third van, you will have your ideal rig

the good oil right here
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 8:57pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Here is what we had - complete with grand kid.
Permanent double bed up top. Would recommend a permanent bed somewhere in the rig - usually over top or at back. Hot shower, flush toilet, could tow 5.3m boat. Water capacity was 180 fresh. So hot showers OK - but not like at home standing under shower contemplating the day. It was a calculated process.
But this camper for me was luxury in the wilderness. Gas oven/cooker ( would recommend gas oven if can find), 3 way fridge, solar power, etc. Could go a week without seeing/talking to anyone. perfect.
Light weight, WoF, remote spots is about all I used it for.
But if wife/partner wants to stand under long hot shower each day, you need another plan. This is camping. Glamping is another level.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2020 at 10:13pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi Alan, up until recently, we've really only looked into the housebus idea. Mainly ex touring buses that all seem to carry large amounts of water. Because we are new to this, we thought that type of volume was the norm for extended off grid living. Recent light bulb moments have helped us realize what is priority and what is not.
Flat deck 4x4 with 3.5m boat and trailer on it, and 6.5m + caravan towed behind is looking like the answer to us.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 8:41am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

With a well thought out plan, it will work. So you are asking the right Qs to get the answers you need. 
Good luck on your mission. Reel Deal got his up and running and the trip sounds awesome.
I did a lot of remote exploring/fishing with our bus. Loved every minute. 
We have a great country for doing that sort of trip. Don't have the bus now - sold to a friend. Miss it.
But one trip a mate and I are planning is to tow our boats south and explore Fiordland country. Whether we make it or it stays a plan on paper, dunno. But one step closer - mate semi retired a month or so ago.
Good luck.
Alan 
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 8:42am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

When you get sorted - join NZMCA. Caravans qualify as well. A wealth of information, and essential directories of places to go etc.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 10:11am
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 12:26pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

No matter what you decide on make sure it has a suitable reversing camera fitted & on that gives option of straight down & longer range vision as the former is essential if wanting to detect things like low fences or posts also most importantly youngsters in a pram or on a trike etc.
Whilst on the subject of reverse vision cameras can never understand the logic of wiring reverse vision cameras so as they operate only when vehicle is put into reverse instead of whenever the ignition is on which gives additional viewing to following traffic to that which mirrors provide.
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 2:17pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good call bazza . I had a double camera on caravan with a screen on the dash of the Landcruiser one camera pointing down for backing safely and the other pointing back and worked like a revision mirror when driving also had night vision. Highly recommend 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 2:23pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

pretty exciting setting up Kitno. Don’t worry you will make mistakes but it’s all part of the journey. Asking around saves on a few mistakes so good on ya. 

That first morning waking up off grid all done and travels begin is pretty special you both will have a ball. 90% of people just talk about it you will meet a lot of like minded 10% of doers so you will be in good company. Be prepared for your social life to rapidly grow. I’ve made friends for life from around the world during our travels so if international travel is ever allowed again we will be doing some visiting. 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 4:54pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

Be prepared for your social life to rapidly grow
any large enough place that you overnight in, just remember - 4pm is usually happy hour

From there, you will get up to date intel for your next destination from your traveling neighbors
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 5:04pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sounds like swingers paradise. keys. Fruit bowl. You guys know the drill.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 6:17pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

a lot of the grey nomads can’t find their keys haha.

Bang on re Happy hour, some went late into the night...hard to avoid. Often they come a knocking to get a group together. Well worth it as tips on gas prices, next camp, how to fix etc etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2020 at 6:41pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Schampy Schampy wrote:

Sounds like swingers paradise. keys. Fruit bowl. You guys know the drill.

Is there a limit to the amount of keys I can draw?
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Page  <12345 6>