Housebus vs Caravan

Page  <1234 6>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 9:07pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Alot of the 10m+ buses have 600ltr fresh, 400 grey, and 200 black.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 9:41pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

cripes  that’s a lot. If I had it I wouldn’t fill it till within a few km of camp. Bus I guess can carry like a truck? If so you could go many thousands of litres imagine going up those coromandel hills with all that on board. 

Caravans easy you get the max and you try to keep under it. Most camp sites give you water and power so no tank needed there. Also want to keep water fresh. 

Another is cost to travel. We did 30,000km in 10 months. Average weekly spend all up was between $1500 and $200O Aud.

Before going on a long journey I’d drain water tanks if I new I could get it closer to destination it made a huge difference 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 9:43pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

if getting a bus I’d go small wood/coal burner in a caravan heating is done with a diesel heater install.

It’s good you are asking the questions and weighing up what suits you and what you plan to do.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 9:52pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We probably wouldn't be traveling anywhere near that amount of kms. We'd also use the 4x4 to sus out the next spot to stay.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 10:21pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

We lived on the road for 7.5yrs 2009 - mid 2016, doing some seasonal work to make ends meet & having around 4 months off per year, our dog enjoyed it too.... will definately do it again before retirement, too good not to do.... just ask Reel Deal
Towed a car to get around & I had a 3.1m roll up inflatable with 8hp, ali floor to stand up on wsith inflatable keel, was kitted out for basic fishing. Boat & outboard was stowed in the boot of the motorhome

Find something that suits your budget & what works for you
You can be a combination unit of up to 20m in length, class 2 licence.
Have met others who have a 9m bus towing a ute that is towing a boat as long under 20m
Better setups I have seen are motorhome or bus towing a boat 12-14ft, the trailer is custom made so the quad bike is driven on above the boat... looks hard case

Viewing your "small list of must haves"

Same as our setup, altho 375 fresh & 310 grey water, 3 toilet cassettes
This does us for 4 nights 5 days for dunny use & water, also have a 2.2kg washing machine
Diesel heating is what you want, runs off main tank, can run it 24hrs when snowing outside
Your first priority is solar, house battery storage & 3 ways of charging batteries - alternator, solar, plugin to mains into multi stage charger.

We have 530w solar into 3 x 20a mppt controllers feeding 2 x 325ah 12v batteries... a little more solar would be nicer
Tow bar rated 2500kg, unbraked towing is 2000kg on 9T RUC = class 2 licence
We towed a 4 door Laser for 55k around the country.
When you live on the road, you want a car to tour around in.

Consider ground clearence & overhang
Check out Reel deals caravans ground clearence, then scroll up to the photo Clifftastic posted of the bus & compare the 2..... there are **** loads of kool places around the country that bus wont get into
Join nzmca club https://www.nzmca.org.nz/ this allows you to park up free or gold coin in RSA, golf clubs, many private & other places not on offer to the travelling public. Plus huge discounts on the ferry to sth isl
Our club owns over 30 properties thru out the country costs $3 per head per night

For your new rig, be familiar with the tare weight, gvm & gcm / gcw. Sometimes its the loading that can catch owners out, some of the newer lighter motorhomes have lower loading capacities & 750kg unbraked towing

Once you are setup, travelling can be done on the cheap without skimping, be it doing freedom camping or using our clubs properties around the country
Last big trip away, we did 32 days around south island over xmas break, cost us 73 bucks total for our accomdation - no camp grounds

Happy to answer any questions bro

Our setup

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 11:06pm
Jon1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I was at Ningaloo reef with the family when I saw the best setup for a couple that I saw the whole trip. We did around 30000km with a Landcruiser and box trailer setup around West & South Australia for 7 months. These guys had a Landcruiser ute with a slide-on camper on the back. When they got somewhere the slide-on got parked and awnings extended, etc. This made a really stable bedroom / shelter / loo They towed a really durable trailer with metal hood on gas struts with tools, supplies, etc. and a swing out cooking unit. There was a frame over the trailer which a 14ft tinnie slid onto upside down. They'd started in Tasmania and were about a year in when we met them. Awesome rig.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 7:30am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Guys, how do you get a self contained cert when your grey tank is less than the fresh tank? Mine had a bigger grey than fresh.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whippersnappyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 7:52am
whippersnappyr View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I was really taken with this cute setup that was in the BMW museum when I picked up my car years ago. Totally impractical but you’ve got to admire the fact they actually made it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 9:34am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I havent had a caravan nor motorhome, but can make some points.

I have seen )what someone else described) - a motorhome, towing a boat trailer - on the boat trailer a 4.1m Frewza aluminium boat (open top). On a frame over the top of the boat, a 4wheel motorcycle (4WD). The motorcycle drove off the trailer via ramps (planks). The boat trailer towed to launch with the motorcycle.  

Ive had a 3m inflatable boat on the back of my 4WD ute. That   worked ok. The tray was 2.4m long, so the boat stuck out the back by 60cm, ok. Good beach wheels enabled pushing the boat into the sea. The outboard carried from the ute to put on the boat - also tote tank carried, also fishing gear carried. And then when return to shore, all the carrying done in reverse; harder as its up the beach instead of down. All this carrying reduced the fun considerably, compared to towing everything to and from the sea)
I am glad the inflatable was carried fully inflated - because the work in unrolling and inflating was a pain; and I wouldnt want to do that as well as all the carrying to and fro. Another point - to deflate and roll up, a boat has to have a inflated hull bottom - which has two disadvantages - cant always pull it up on a beach without risking puncturing the bottom - and when moving the soft bottom bends, which reduces forward momentum. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 4:13pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

primo set up banana boat. 

If I was only traveling on a month or two trips the rig I’d explore as more is a removable campervan that can sit on a double cab Ute. The ones I saw have hydronic legs that lifts itself Off the Ute deck and free stand with steps and awning. Leaves you to leave on and use like campervan or tow a 14-15 bought and you can leave campervan set up and drop boat to the boat ramp. Shopping, sight seeing etc

Covers a lot of options but fairly small inside. Bed up top . Lounge kitchen together but did have toilet with shower over top. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 4:44pm
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by kitno kitno wrote:

Have to question your figures on that for a self containment cert. You would need larger holding capacity for grey and black.. Solids lift volume.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 5:11pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Really interesting thread, something missus and I have toyed with off and on for a while..

This sorta got me
We'd also use the 4x4 to sus out the next spot to stay.
 Missus and I have done a few, pack the truck/ tent, then f;ick a coin left or right literally starting top of the drive) road trips.

If we checked out next spot we would never get far or see as much or stay some places longer.... no have we ever actually done so.

Maybe a consideration that can be discarded.??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 5:34pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Hook-it Hook-it wrote:

Have to question your figures on that for a self containment cert. You would need larger holding capacity for grey and black.. Solids lift volume.

These figures come from house buses that are for sale on trade me and Facebook. Most seem to carry atleast 400 ltrs of fresh water.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 5:40pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

Really interesting thread, something missus and I have toyed with off and on for a while..

This sorta got me
We'd also use the 4x4 to sus out the next spot to stay.
 Missus and I have done a few, pack the truck/ tent, then f;ick a coin left or right literally starting top of the drive) road trips.

If we checked out next spot we would never get far or see as much or stay some places longer.... no have we ever actually done so.

Maybe a consideration that can be discarded.??

Steps, the reason I say that is we wouldn't want to take a 11m bus down an unfamiliar route to find we can't turn it around at the end or corners are too tight to get past. Time is on our side. We have no end date for the trip. If we estimate 2yrs, and it takes 5, so be it.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 5:41pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

And it's far cheaper to run a normal vehicle compared to a large bus.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 6:15pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Hook-it Hook-it wrote:

These figures come from house buses that are for sale on trade me and Facebook. Most seem to carry atleast 400 ltrs of fresh water.

It is about 5 yrs since I had to do a Self Contained cert, and I had to make mine newly compliant. I had to have more greywater capacity than fresh.
But in the back of my mind I think there is another criteria to SC. That it depends on number of occupants (Cert states that number) for a number of days. Cert states that number to. So if you have excess of fresh and grey allocation over that number, it may not matter. Just pay to check first. There are fraudulent certs out there - back of Hiace vans etc. But if belongs to Motorhome Assn, you can be fairly sure is correct. But it is not the blue sticker on the vehicle that counts - Kitno - it is the Cert itself - stating the bits above. Check that.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 6:28pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep Great thread. Enjoying all the comments and what guys have been up to.
My only experience with this sort of thing was helping build a 4x4 ex-army Bedford personal carrier into an African safari vehicle and driving from London down to Kenya. (The Crew carried on to Capetown after I departed) Crazy trip. We were young and alot of us very lucky to still be alive.... Alot of people dont realize just how lucky they are to be living in NZ.... West Africa is the most impoverished place on earth.  Will love one day to take some serious time out and see more of the country. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 7:23pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My extended camper holiday/trip involved driving a VW camper from Uk - to NZ. Via just about everywhere over a couple of years. Some very hairy moments. And memories.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 9:01pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

With bigger fresh water tanks going into smaller grey tanks plus a black tank
Tank sensors are needed for this mis-match

kitno

With the big water capacity you are looking for, those buses are pretty heavy, usually in the 12-15T RUC, pushing big horses ranging 270hp plus in the older models = deep pockets... if towing, max vehicle length 10.5m
https://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicles/licensing-rego/road-user-charges/ruc-rates-and-transaction-fees/

I did a fuel report on our motorhome forum some years ago for reference here
copy/pasted below

7.4m cab-over Fuso 6spd man 190hp 4.9L, on weigh bridge cert scales 6880kg fully laden, 9T RUC
Towing Ford laser car, spec sheet says empty weight around 1100kg, plus used for storage

Recored trip of 3806km diesel 847.92L
http://www.calculatenow.biz/conversions/consumption.php
4.4886km per L
12.6795 miles per gal
22.2785L per 100ks
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 11:01pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmmm plenty of food for thought. The large water supply thing is something my partner is really wanting. Loves having hot showers.
I'm more leaning towards a caravan. It just seems to make more sense if wanting to get into remote places.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Page  <1234 6>