Housebus vs Caravan

Page  123 6>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Housebus vs Caravan
    Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 10:07am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My partner and I wish to travel the country for 2years +. At this stage we are weighing up the pros and cons of a housebus vs Caravan. Taking into consideration that we must have a separate vehicle and a small boat (possibly smartwave 3500, with or without trailer).
Anyone here done something similar? What was your setup or what would be your setup be? I can see pros and cons for both.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 10:12am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bazza might be the man for info?? 

Caravan + tow wagon with boat strapped up back of caravan .Able to leave caravan set up while taking vehicle in to town shopping etc.

Motorhome,taking along the whole package to town and where to park or tow a small car behind motorhome with boat on roof racks

something the wife has mentioned before.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 10:17am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If I was to go with the housebus idea, I'm thinking A frame a flat deck 4x4 with the boat and/or trailer on top. Not sure how feasible it is. Either way, I need a separate vehicle as I'm not retiring and would use it for work when required.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clifftastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 1:23pm
Clifftastic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 2:31pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

A question that can be likened to asking if it is better to buy an ali or a glass boat, as there are pros & cons with both so at the end of the day it simply comes down to individual preferences.

A good starting point imo would be to write down the things that are important to you for what you want to do on individual pieces of paper
then stack them in order of importance rating, then transfer them onto
master list. From there you can decide on what would best suit your requirements by awarding each a one to ten score then adding up the total of each option for comparison.

The question of a boat should imo remain out of the question at this stage but personally I would not favour having a separate vehicle to tow a trailer boat unless planning on extended stop overs at suitable locations. Other options probably limited to small ali, inflatable or kayaks.

My first motorhome had a 10 ft parkercraft carried vertically on the rear in a rather ingenious frame that allowed for a storage box as well as an outboard. With the current motor home I incorporated a purpose built compartment to house an inflatable & outboard.

Whatever you decide on there are several factors with a m/home
that imo deserve consideration namely :-

Rear wheel drive if likely to be leaving the tar seal plus duals.
Three way fridge/freezer ie 12 or 24 v, 240 or gas. 
Be able to be driven on car licence.

Finally keep in mind if intending to do any modifications or additions, steel framed/ali construction lends itself to this far more than the more common these days, fibreglass.

I think I still have a few copies of my checklist I used that I could send you if it helped.

Good luck 

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 4:13pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

work out the cost for a motor home,motels and a car ,meals at a pub ,a boat towed , fishing etc ,no big cost up front,on the pi-- with the locals and the odd good spot off the beach.two years at 300 hundy a week =i think is 15600. plus motel cost at 5580 plus odds . all up 25000 per year =50,000 for 2 years. cost of motor home x re sale x good luck mate with your choice.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 5:21pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Its funny. I have this discussion with other campers over a few beers up north every summer. I  would always have to have a small boat... ( whats the point of even going if ya dont!)  So 2 vehicles would be required.
Iv always lent towards a caravan ... Reasons. Iv already own a decent tow wagon,  and you get alot of accommodation for your money.   Something Like a modern Jayco are bloody nice inside that would keep any couple happy as. 80k would get you a beauty.... but 80k would not buy as nice a camper.
Im guessing Kitno that if you are going for 2 years... ( lucky prick) you aint just gonna wanna be free camping on the side of the road and sh-tting in the bushes. There for the time it takes to park up a caravan get the awning on, levelling etc is not too much of a hassel.... As you gonna be staying put for a few days.
You,ll have a 4 wd for beach launching, Just means the mrs will have to tow the boat when you are travelling.... That may or may not work for some couples. 
Anyways, when we retire (Still decades away though) and the world is still in one piece... the above is pretty much what we are gonna do. Very envious.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 5:39pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bazza has several options to look at... LOLLOL

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 6:48pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

just done it Kitno and had a blast. 

In Aussie def caravan towed by 4x4. Buses and RVs are basically tarseal restricted and that would you not being able to travel 80% of Australia. Also you can set up proper with awning boat off roof fire pit somewhere awesome yet still whip into town to grab anything or go to the pub etc. 

Nz Being so small and there is basically a town anywhere you want to go and less and less off-road options bus could be good. 
Also bikes are great. 

Security wise bus or RV as you can just drive off.

The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 7:25pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Reel Deal, that looks awesome. Living the dream. I'm guessing you finally got it sorted and happy with the options. These decisions/options are always very personal. For instance not everyone would want to do the same trip. Have a different emphasis. Always a compromise one way or other. Matter of getting the balance right - for you.
kitno - canvass all the options both ways and see what fits best.
Schampy makes some good points re caravans, but all my experience is motorhome. Decade or more, towed boat when appropriate. Free camped in lots of remote areas (flyfishing/no boat). Like the self contained aspect. But then you have to up camp to move even a short distance.
Reel Deal looks like a good combo and I remember his pondering previously. Basically you need to sort what works best for you - will be different to others. Some great ideas will click in to place.
Good luck.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 7:31pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good replies guys. Catchelot, I'll have the bottom one thanks.

Here's a small list of must haves.
Separate bedroom, not interested in turning seating area into a bed each night.
Water storage, atleast 5-700 ltrs, enough for maybe 2 weeks.
Off grid capable.
Separate bathroom, with shower, toilet, vanity.
Full kitchen
Generous amount of storage.
Heating for the colder months, we will be going to the south island.

Still throwing the idea out there of getting a small boat and trailer on the back of a flat deck single cab. Can't yet see that being an issue with either a bus or Caravan. Aframes still legal? Trailer would probably make launching and retrieving easier.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 7:46pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just a small aside thought to fishing.

And that is, have you thought of a torpedo long line off the shore rather than towing a boat or car/wagon towing a boat.

And then again have you thought about going to wherever and then sussing charters for the area??
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 7:50pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yes always compromises. We got a great solution for our needs in the end. Our caravan has a double bed with a sliding door, seperate shower, seperate bathroom. Really was like a upmarket apartment with 3 tv points - bedroom - lounge -and outside under awning great for sports etc.
We had two 95litre freshwater tanks and one 95litre great waste tank, these are handy when not just draining on ground if in friends back yard or sensitive environment like beach etc.
300watt solar and we never needed a generator as never run out of power. Truck also charged van when traveling.

If you can go lithium it’s all the rage here in Aussie as grunty and light. Weight is a big consideration when traveling in a caravan probably less so in a bus. My caravan was 3.5 ton and truck 3 ton.

Gas bottles did fridge when no sun about and heated water and supplied 3 of the 4 oven elements - each bottle lasted about 3 months and I always carried one spare. 

We would go off grid for up to 10 days at a time and then needed to empty bog cassette and get more food beer wine etc 

The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 7:52pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one Reel Deal, how much fresh water can that carry?
Schampy, ideally will be a minimum of week stop before moving on.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 7:53pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

just sold van $80k and roof topper $3500, just truck to go before heading back to nz for next chapter. Been amazing journey around Australia. Many people talk about doing it just a few actually do it, so go for it and learn along the way ...we are all dead a long time .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 7:56pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

190 litres of fresh. Always filled up via a hose with silver water filter as you never know what sort of water you get. If we went longer than 10 days we would do those quick showers each day. Wet then off scrub then wash off. Had a outside shower for the dog as required. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 8:04pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Just a small aside thought to fishing.

And that is, have you thought of a torpedo long line off the shore rather than towing a boat or car/wagon towing a boat.

And then again have you thought about going to wherever and then sussing charters for the area??

Good thought but we're wanting to tag the majority we catch, so rods are preferred. Also want to use the boat for exploring.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 8:08pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kitno - 5-700l fresh water is a TRUCK load. You learn to do with less. And it means you need equiv+ in grey water storage. Not feasible generally. I could go a week on 100l 2 of us could go on 150l. That is being economical - but that is what you do.
Def 3 way fridge (with at least ice box - cold beer essential) - gas/12V/240. The solar will run the 12V also.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 8:45pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

yip good tips there Alan L. Fresh water in nz is everywhere like petrol stations etc. Aussie not so much. I did take a couple of 20litre spare drums but never used. There is a tank gauge so you know when getting low.  We would drain the grey waste on the highway when traveling on drip. It was so hot ait would be dry as it hit the ground.  Most places outside of the national parks let you drain straight into the ground. Always used bio products.

Too much water the tank would need a lot of baffling. Slamming
 on the brakes with a large tank would make things interesting. 

A good water pump and shower head will spread usage out also.

The bigger the fridge the better. Mine was just under 209 litres so could keep a six pack and 2 bottles of wine on the go. But after a large snapper session I vacuum packed and put 20 meals in the freezer and had to give the rest away. But you get that traveling. You makes heaps of friends by default.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2020 at 8:45pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Kitno - 5-700l fresh water is a TRUCK load. You learn to do with less. And it means you need equiv+ in grey water storage. Not feasible generally. I could go a week on 100l 2 of us could go on 150l. That is being economical - but that is what you do.
Def 3 way fridge (with at least ice box - cold beer essential) - gas/12V/240. The solar will run the 12V also.
Alan
Yeah I was a bit surprised to see that amount of water aswell. Combined with fuel and holding tanks... Thats over a ton. Yikes.

Page  123 6>