Stabicraft 1850 Supercab?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SufixRockMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stabicraft 1850 Supercab?
    Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 8:00pm
SufixRockMan View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hey folks, I took one of these out today on a sea trial. It was impressive enough. Are there any owners here that can provide a long term review?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 2:42pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

how was it going into short chop?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SufixRockMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 3:47pm
Platinum
Platinum

Soft - surprisingly
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 4:54pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I thought there would be a bit more feedback regarding this. They seemed like dam well thought out boats. My brother brought one and really rated it. Seems to be real conflicting opinions when it comes to ride quality. Have the arrow pontoons made that much of a difference?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jon1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 8:15pm
Jon1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I've got a Profile 600H with a Mercury Optimax 135hp. I've put almost 1000 hours on the motor over 9 years (been a bit slack the last 3 years). Opted for the 6mm hull. Has been simply excellent and I've had it in some pretty hairy seas from North Cape down to the Mercuries & Cuvier. I'm gently debating putting a 150hp Yamaha 4 stroke on her. Handles well with no trim tabs. looked at the Stabi but thought it rode harder after my sea trials.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2020 at 8:37pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They are literally a sea tank, very overbuilt boat for size, could be longer but they are not. Will break you though, before you break it .. good thing if you are that way inclined.
They are not a saloon car but proper off roader. Bit like asking is car nicer to drive than 4wd,  if you wanting to compare against other makes and designs that size.  I take it is the hard  top version you are considering?
The 589 soft top is different boat .. better ride, till it gets real nasty when you maybe want a hard top.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SufixRockMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 7:00am
Platinum
Platinum

Hi shaneg - interested in comparisons/thoughts against other similar sized HTs. I quite like the pontoons, down here (Nelson) we often leave with a dead calm sea and have a decent following sea by the afternoon when chasing snapper in the bay. The stability at rest when jigging over winter around Durville would be great too (my FC535 has plenty of this). The HT is protection from the elements.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote yellafin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 7:29am
yellafin View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I have a 585 Kiwikraft HT and have been in a 1850HT several times. The Kiwi is a better boat in all areas IMO other than the transom on the Stabi allows you to reverse quicker.

As you are based in Nelson, why not try Osprey, which have a very good name or DNA which look very well built.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SufixRockMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 7:32am
Platinum
Platinum

Yellafin - in all honesty, I don't want to spend new boat money. I can pickup a 1850 for 60k (with change) with low engine hours etc. If I was going to spend more than that I would be looking at a second hand AMF.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 8:22am
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

thats a pretty sharp price to aint it>?

I have been looking the the frewzas.  New without engine you get alot of boat for the money, 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Penty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 11:25am
Penty View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just my 2cs.

We have just bought a 2014 Stabicraft 1850 Fisher for fishing around Kaikoura & Motunau Beach and Top of the South Island. We haven't owned long enough but the ride is what you would expect of a pontoon boat of its size. We don't expect it to be a Lazer or Surtees however we are happy for the compromise for stability and sea keeping in a following sea. We like the big deck space and minimal cabin as this is for diving and fishing and the bait station / transom is excellent for fishing and for day tripping with the mrs.

As a price guide if you look around you can get deals however very limited at the moment due to COVID, people are less reluctant to sell the boat given no overseas holidays upcoming! We paid $41k with all the bells and whistles for it a month ago and admittedly we have a 2 stroke engine (done 100 hours). This might be might be slightly more palatable price point for you excluding the 4 stroke engine option. Our circumstances just didn't justify the additional cost $10k. "Insert you should have bought a four stroke comment here"

Re Frewza's. We tossed up getting one built new at the same time but when you actually start adding up all the extra things you need (canopy, sounder, cover, baitboard, capstan, road holders the list goes on) to make it the same as an equivalent Stabicraft/ Profile / Senator they aren't actually that cheap. And when comparing them side by side unbiased view was the Stabicraft was finished to a higher level.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2020 at 2:10pm
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by SufixRockMan SufixRockMan wrote:

Hey folks, I took one of these out today on a sea trial. It was impressive enough. Are there any owners here that can provide a long term review?

Looking back at the last six years of owning this boat from new, it served me well. However it wasn't my first choice. 

I wanted the allenco 6.5m CC but after being told by my wife that should i go ahead with this purchase i'll be fishing by myself :O

Since owning this boat i've learn how to drive this boat in bad chop to make the ride as comfortable as possible for everyone.

Very dry boat, very steady platform to fish from, not the softest ride in a really bad chop, it can hit hard up your spine.

Anyhow, i don't go fishing in bad weather in any boat. For us it supposed to be an enjoyable experience not an endurance test. However sometimes the weather can turn on you and that is when you realise this thing is built like a tank.

Two years ago i've made this "tank" more user friendly, upgrading all fishing electronics, 4mm keel strip, minn kota, internal & external lights, stereo, new vhf, twin batteries for motor & electronic + two separate deep cycle battery to the trolling motor... 

Best of luck