Whoever uses Low Speed Gear

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whoever uses Low Speed Gear
    Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 4:26pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Do you ever use low gear on your 2 speed reel?
My fishing buddies rarely ever use low gear. Can't say I've used one too often but have done a few times on a big fish. My Duel reel is great for that with the reverse wind to give your muscles a rest.
On one of my first marlin on braid, I did push the drag up after first run then just wound it in on low speed until I got to my mono top-shot.
When one died on me it was a god send.
A mate hooked one on a Tiburon reel that has a star to change the slippage from high to low. Tighten star high and won't slip into low until about 18 kg. His fish was on a rough day and the star tensioner was set light and he never knew he played it mostly on low speed - worked out well for him.
Doubt you'd ever need low gear on a 15 kg outfit

What's your experience using low gear?
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 5:37pm
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep my wife has used low speed, some moons ago in Tonga we had Keith McKee's very first charter on Kiwi Magic, he was super keen for us to be successful and we were, I landed my first blue and so did Lorraine, her one was foul hooked and she skull dragged it in sideways, no mean feat, boy was she red in the face, and thank full for low gearClap

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 7:42pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not used it often. But have had a similar experience to feeders wife. Handy on a big blue in Tonga that dug in deep, once it had settled down on a hot day. Tyrnos 2 speed on 24kg nylon. Two speed helped move fish up and eventually we got it.
Had blue here and a big yellowfin when younger where would have definitely used it had I known how.. we’re both 2 speed reels.
On 15 kg same principles should apply as 24kg.
Rather have it in case you get a big tuna or blue. Landed stripees on my tld 25 without it, where fish stayed up nearer surface, and we gingerly wound back and used boat a lot. But you can’t do same if fish is deep digging in under boat... yes you can run away and change angle but your giving them more line.
Having said that last purchase was an everol t shot single speed, so obviously doesn’t bother me too much.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 7:47pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Kinda think you answered your own question.

It's not how often you use it it's that you have it and use it when needed.

It's not bling.
It's a tool.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 8:06pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Matt I think question was “what is your experience with low gear“, rather than was it of any use at all. Fishb8 actually gave some examples of where it worked. I might be being pedantic though. Well over half way through a nice bottle of Barossa red wine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 6:56am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

True Shaneg,!
Guilty of not re reading ifishb8s post properly.

Your red glasses are clearly still in progressive field.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 9:13am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I hardly use it. Prefer high gear. Initially I usually run the line down with the boat (even solo). Need high gear to keep up. Then it comes to the slug out. I prefer to use the swells and crank on High - even if only half a turn at a time. Same on Y/F when they go deep. Maybe just me, but I have limited use for the Low. Very occaisionally it may come to a stalemate and I will switch to Low to try and break the deadlock. Other than that, prefer to stay with H.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 4:16pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm also a high speed user most of the time.
Can't think of too many times I've dropped to low.
Probably haven't caught enough big stubborn fish yet.

I do use the lower gear for others though.
Generally first timers who have been in the fight for a while and need a bit of respite but still need to pursue the fish.
Youngsters and my wife would be the other categories.

I did once use first gear unknowingly.
I was trying to get my fastest marlin capture.
It could of been one minute but ended being two minutes.
Surprising the speed you can crank under adrenaline.
Was gutted when I discovered it was a two speed reel.
Not my gear and in the moment it's not what your concentrating on.
Too many guys in your ears telling you to go for it.

So there is a place, but I do like high speed line retrieval and when appropriate a high speed catch for the fishes welfare.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 7:54pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Been stuck on fish that without lower gear gaining line would be impossible.  ie 9 hours ona sword.  and 5plus hours on a massive blue.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2020 at 9:11pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by jakepitsville jakepitsville wrote:

Been stuck on fish that without lower gear gaining line would be impossible.  ie 9 hours ona sword.  and 5plus hours on a massive blue.
Yeah that seems to sum it up.
Cheers Mattoo appreciate your above reply .. takes an honest man to reread stuff and repost. You are are a gentleman.
On a NZ made “Batched” espresso martini coffee liqueur tonite (came with a nice free crystal looking shallow looking cocktail glass). After having  a bottle of Sisters Marlborough rose. Now mixing said coffee liqueur with my favourite drop .. to get right kick in it (pretty weak) .. tequila. So I will not make any sense if posting after this post.
Cheers everyone.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2020 at 6:58am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I had the longest 4 1/2 hours of my life bringing in a dead stripy on the King Bank. Of course, it was the only single speed reel we had out.
My winding arm was cramping, my thighs were, too (stand-up). Ruined a hot bite for the other guys, too.
Would never do that again - I'd hand over the rod to another angler. I was focally tucked.
Next day got a really big fish and struggled - still aching from previous day but at least it was on a 2 speed and used low to bring it in.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken