Kingi or Kingy, Maori Cultural Appropriation

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kingi or Kingy, Maori Cultural Appropriation
    Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 3:57pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 4:28pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ha ha ha.
Can anyone else see the irony and hypocrisy here.
A new Zealander of Maori descent throws a cultural appropriation rock at a competitor when the truth is early Maori culturally appropriated the word King and its associations from the early colonizers. 
Those who are older with a little knowledge of history, not the revisionist kind, know this.
It is confirmed later in the article by a "Maori cultural advisor".
Thankfully.
However, the truth never gets in the way of a good claim or whinge these days.
In fact it is almost expected and accepted.

Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 5:25pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I won't bother reading the article.

Precious ar se ho les come in all colours.

Can't wait for people to stop this waffle in life.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishy11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 5:37pm
Fishy11 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Spelt and written using the Latin alphabet......enough said LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 6:24pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

No need for moderation on this thread Big smile. How silly.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 6:48pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

No need for moderation on this thread Big smile. How silly.

Will I get banned for this suggestion with a controversial subject?EmbarrassedBig smile

I hope we all get the humour.Clap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 6:51pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Oh dear!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 7:04pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8123896/Stoush-over-pre-Maori-colonisers-theory#:~:text=Ngapuhi%20leader%20David%20Rankin%20is,people%20to%20colonise%20New%20Zealand.&text=University%20of%20Auckland%20associate%20professor,not%20backed%20by%20credible%20evidence.

"If we believe our histories, then we as Maori are not the indigenous people of New Zealand."

Maori stories speak of his ancestors being greeted by a different culture when landing on New Zealand's shores and talk of red-headed, fair-skinned people, he said.

"Who were those people who greeted our wakas and red-headed, fair-skinned people?

Perhaps ask those people Kingi or KingySmile

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 7:05pm
taurangatroutmaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

They can call their restaurant what they like
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 7:43pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Slow drips..
dont get my personality mixed up with my attitude,my personality is me,my attitude depends on you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 10:30am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thumbs Up
 To all the posts above.. commonsence
 This is the bit of the article that gets me thu.

responded to some heated comments on Instagram

Do we really need social media that much to open or run a business? Or is this just the new marketing hype to do so?
Doing so simply opens some innocent comment to total disaster...
Or could it be the other way round.. open the business/people up to such negative , uninformed , opinionated comments ppl on the basis of Any publicity is good publicity.

Then there is the next thing, without social media and this sort of publicity would know back news items so much the industry, would have to fire most of their 'reporters' .. leaving those who cover worthwhile news items

The actual subject is just some ignorant ppl wanting their 5mins of fame (again), and desperate reporters needing something to write about or will find themselves unemployed.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 10:43am
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No wonder people are getting depressed with this sort of carry on. Ludicrous.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 11:11am
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Lol.  The tw@t complaining runs a restaurant called "Cantina" - appropriating Spanish/Latin American culture?