Gulp "glow" colours

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gulp "glow" colours
    Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 11:05pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Apologies if this has been covered before. Some Gulp colours have a "glow" sticker on the tubs/packets. Presumably a UV or lumo additive? What's the score? Just marketing or something beneficial. Why don't they add it to all the colours?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 12:18pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It’s definitely lumo (glow), MB. Normally impregnated in the belly area, but in some cases the entire thing - usually the full lumo ones are a pale white coloured lure with a slight bluey/greeny tinge compared to straight white.

I have a Gulp Crazy Legs which is white on white and supposedly glows. I think the Pink Shine colour has a glow belly, from memory.

Z Man do it too - e.g. the belly part of the Nuked Pilchard, Coconut Ice, Redbone, and some full ‘glow’ bodies. I have a 9” Z Man grub which is all lumo.

If you use a 'black light' torch in the dark on the bodies of ones labelled ‘glow’, you’ll see that the particular part of the lure lights up and stays glowing (usually a pale green) after you turn the torch off. Like using a lumo trout fly featuring Aurora skirt or similar, the glow fades after maybe a minute or so.

Whereas a UV impregnated body will light up bright but go back to black when the torch goes off. From my understanding, UV lures react to light from the sun to a certain depth - but I've been confused by some writers saying UV impregnated lures are best in dull conditions, whereas I'd have thought they were best in full sun?

The theory with lumo is that lures impregnated or painted with it are more easily seen in poor light - absolute crack of dawn, and last thing in the evening, or at depths below say 25m (like jigs with lumo stripes, or glow sticks for puka etc).

I guess in normal light conditions and shallower depths it probably doesn't make a big difference, and most of the colours with 'lumo' are good ones anyway, but at depth or if it's half dark, it's probably helpful.

I think technically lumo lures are ‘charged’ by the sun in daylight hours, or you could use a UV torch on them before dropping into the depths to potentially make them more effective.

I did a post during lockdown re my findings with the UV torch on various lures. I found it a very interesting thing to do.

One of my best performing colours has been Gulp New Penny and that doesn't have UV or lumo properties, and Z Man Bruised Banana doesn't have much UV and no lumo and I've done well using it. But Atomic Sunrise, Motor Oil are highly UV reactive and are right up there on my favourites list.

https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/uv-or-not-uv-that-is-the-question_topic133176.html

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 12:52pm
taurangatroutmaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Motor oil works well on trout in muddy water
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 4:30pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

New Penny under the stars on Sunday worked fine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 5:08pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

It’s definitely lumo (glow), MB. Normally impregnated in the belly area, but in some cases the entire thing - usually the full lumo ones are a pale white coloured lure with a slight bluey/greeny tinge compared to straight white.

I have a Gulp Crazy Legs which is white on white and supposedly glows. I think the Pink Shine colour has a glow belly, from memory.

Z Man do it too - e.g. the belly part of the Nuked Pilchard, Coconut Ice, Redbone, and some full ‘glow’ bodies. I have a 9” Z Man grub which is all lumo.

If you use a 'black light' torch in the dark on the bodies of ones labelled ‘glow’, you’ll see that the particular part of the lure lights up and stays glowing (usually a pale green) after you turn the torch off. Like using a lumo trout fly featuring Aurora skirt or similar, the glow fades after maybe a minute or so.

Whereas a UV impregnated body will light up bright but go back to black when the torch goes off. From my understanding, UV lures react to light from the sun to a certain depth - but I've been confused by some writers saying UV impregnated lures are best in dull conditions, whereas I'd have thought they were best in full sun?

The theory with lumo is that lures impregnated or painted with it are more easily seen in poor light - absolute crack of dawn, and last thing in the evening, or at depths below say 25m (like jigs with lumo stripes, or glow sticks for puka etc).

I guess in normal light conditions and shallower depths it probably doesn't make a big difference, and most of the colours with 'lumo' are good ones anyway, but at depth or if it's half dark, it's probably helpful.

I think technically lumo lures are ‘charged’ by the sun in daylight hours, or you could use a UV torch on them before dropping into the depths to potentially make them more effective.

I did a post during lockdown re my findings with the UV torch on various lures. I found it a very interesting thing to do.

One of my best performing colours has been Gulp New Penny and that doesn't have UV or lumo properties, and Z Man Bruised Banana doesn't have much UV and no lumo and I've done well using it. But Atomic Sunrise, Motor Oil are highly UV reactive and are right up there on my favourites list.

https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/uv-or-not-uv-that-is-the-question_topic133176.html

Thanks, awesome reply! I've been a bit discombobulated because Berkeley are quite selective about which Gulp products have a "glow" component. For example, Squid Vicious Pink Shine in a packet is labelled "glow", whereas the same product in a tub is not!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 5:15pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

By the way, you might be interested to hear that I've fallen in love with softies again. I've been slaying the snapper with softies, while jigging has been a struggle this winter. Caught a hapuka on a softie on Sunday Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 9:03pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Haha, nice one.
Variety is the spice of life and i'm sure it's helpful to have options and skills with various methods.

There's something about soft baiting that really appeals to me above other methods, but I'll definitely try more micro style jigging using essentially the same method as softbaiting if the depth and bottom suits it.
I'm never going to be a fan of dropping and slow winding kaburas etc.

The other thing I'm inspired to do by posts on the forum is live baiting for kingies in suitable areas. Would love to tangle with more of those awesome fish. 

(re the topic, I'm pretty sure the belly of all pink shines are glow, irrespective of the stickers on the packets - and that's a bloody good Gulp colour - though my favourite in the Squid Vicious is the Orange Tiger, which is a strong UV colour).