Bugga , diesel in an underfloor petrol tank

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bugga , diesel in an underfloor petrol tank
    Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 2:23pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well, a bad start to the day. My fishing mate of many years inadvertently picked up the diesel filler instead of the petrol one and put 33 litres of diesel in my underfloor tank.
What to do now? Its welded in, my thoughts were to get sucky moto to suck it out, but will that be sufficient. Given the oily nature of diesel will their be a residue that will upset the yamaha 4 stroke? It's a 180 litre tank.CryConfusedOuch

Any outboard mechanics on here that have had this happen?
cheers
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 3:46pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Mr suki best option and refill ,have pumped 200lt of petrol in to diesil,mr suki did his job and diesil ran fine.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 6:18pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I'm not a mechanic but if you get that sucked out and fill the tank with petrol I cant imagine it would cause any problems Martyn. Worse the other way round - putting petrol in a diesel engine.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 6:28pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks guys, yeah that's what I was thinking, might just be a little smoky?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 9:50pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You can probably empty it yourself. Put the boat on the right angle and just extend the fuel line over the transom and back down then start the siphon going. Don't empty from the filler as may not get it all. What's the petrol/diesel mix IE how much petrol was in the tank? 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 9:55pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I take it you haven't run the motor.
If you're worried that the residue is still too much diesel then put say ten litres petrol back in when siphon completed and siphon that "mix" out too. reuse in lawnmower or such.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 10:35pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Haven't run the motor, best guess is 90l petrol 33 of diesel
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 8:59am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Like Krows suggestion above.
If have a small compressor or a vacuum cleaner that has blow..
A low pressure in the tank .. may help to lightly block off the air vent.
You will find out if the filler cap seals or not (if meant to type)

If cant get pressurise tank to flow faster, get the fuel line siphoning and drop another hose down the filler..

Once MT as far as can go.. drop 5L good fuel in, syphon that as a 'flush' then re fill.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 7:49am
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks