Little Huia - the exact spot

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JaniLane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Little Huia - the exact spot
    Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 3:16pm
JaniLane View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, total newbie here, been fishing on Bayswater Marina since we live close-by. Would love to do my very first rock fishing alone around Little Huia since I've read about that location in some forums and in here, but doesn't exactly know the right spot/location, as opposed to going to Cornwallis Wharf.

Looking at Google maps, there is a carpark close to Huia Domain, Huia Fire Station, Huia Lodge. Where exactly can I park and do rock fishing?

cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 7:13pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

JaniLane, I haven't fished there for many years and I can't remember anything specific.Part of the attraction of fishing is finding new places and learning how to fish them. Go for a drive out that way just before low tide and look for an area that has deep water in close. A shallow bay that only has 1m deep water 100m out at low tide isn't what you're looking for. If you find a place that has 1m deep or more water right in close at low tide and is accessible, I'd fish there.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 12:41pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Not at those places you are enquiring about, altho I have seen fish caught along there, very rarely

Go to the end of Huia rd where it changes to Whatipu rd
There is a boat ramp there. Walk around the corner so you are looking towards the Manukau heads & fish around there into the main channel
I have seen many ppl fish along there, snapper, gurnard, kahawai get caught there
Pretty snaggy country, gurnard & kahawai are present at this time of the season
You want an off shore wind, or better around under 10kt, variable 5kt would be ideal
SW wind is right in your face coming straight in from the heads.... so get your wind direction right

Heard can be quite good in the warmer months for snapper
Good luck, post a trip report
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr_richard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 6:34pm
Mr_richard View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I agree with BananaBoat go to the end of huia rd and walk around the rocks. Good spot for poppers in the summer months, seen some solid kingfish plucked from there.
Should be kahawai and gurnard around there at the moment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JaniLane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 4:34pm
JaniLane View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Guys, thanks for the advise.I went there earlier, end of huia close to bar cottage. Bad spot as I lost close to two dozen hooks and sinkers, the rocks could be trapping them but I cant be sure as water is high and murky. I had enough and went to Cornwallis wharf. while on my way I was tempted and thought about stopping and trying it on the side of the road as water looked calm around that area, but not sure about rules there. Wind knots probably between 15 to 20 at the wharf, some guys already there but they too, were unlucky, until 2pm. I tried the rocks along the side of the wharf, no luck. Baits were salted squid, chicken and sardines.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 6:44pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You can fish off the sea wall between Huia and little Huia no problem just make sure your car is parked well .
Best to fish off the sea wall until the tide has gone out enough that you can get around the rocks at little huia , I find 2-3hrs after high tide you can get right round as far as you like .
You’ll be casting onto sand around there so breakout sinkers are the go .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 7:20pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

pm @taurangatroutmaster he's genuinely a local legend for fishing around those areas and will offer all the advise you need
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 9:47am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For any area really..also boat ramps havnt used before.

Go for a drive out that way just before low tide and look for an area that has deep water in close.

And get out google maps/ satellite use several historic yrs and have a very close study.

I dont know if still there, back in late 50s to mid 60s, there used to be a few tracks going down off the Huia/Whatipu rd that used to fish with the old man.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 10:20am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

For any area really..also boat ramps havnt used before.

Go for a drive out that way just before low tide and look for an area that has deep water in close.

And get out google maps/ satellite use several historic yrs and have a very close study.

I dont know if still there, back in late 50s to mid 60s, there used to be a few tracks going down off the Huia/Whatipu rd that used to fish with the old man.
The track down to destruction gully closed for kauri die back,Hmm didnt see many kauris as the track went through toetoe bushes. Can walk around towards destruction from huia at mid tide,dont need to go all the way,found february/march best
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2020 at 2:17pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

If you live near Bayswater Marina then personally I wouldnt bother trekking across to the other side of NZ to go fishing off the shore when there are plenty of local options near to you.

Drop me a PM as I live in Takapuna and have plenty of shore fishing spots nearby that will (well 'can') produce.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote JaniLane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 10:18am
JaniLane View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

@JK, PMed you. cheers.

I'll try surf fishing as well.  Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 11:47am
taurangatroutmaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

West coast is better than the east coast in every way
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 8:42pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Both are good .. but east has been better if you like catching decent snapper land based. They are reasonably easy here if know what you are doing. 
West better for trevs particularly,  and big kahawai and xl sized gurnard from shore.
Kingfish bit of a toss up.. most east coast fishos don’t target as much as hardcore land based guys round whatipu, but they are here over summer and autumn for those not so fixated on snapper.
Sharks reckon we’d give you run for your money,  but haven’t seen anyone target them. Hooked plenty off kayak off here and blew up a bait runner few years ago off rocks hooking into multiple bite offs,  never landed one but reel got pretty hot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 9:08pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

only been rock fishing once since lockdown but this only took 5 minutes to procure off the campbells mairangi break wall.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2020 at 11:07pm
taurangatroutmaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The average snapper size out west is way better than east coast. They are better condition fish and taste better from the west coast to.