Deep dropping for swords

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deep dropping for swords
    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 5:16pm
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

a 430 am meet up and launch at 530 saw us on the water and driving to some new ground over an hour from our launch spot in the inky blackness of the witching hours, after nearly hitting a whale the time flew as we flew to the horozon in my little 5.5 Surtees She's Gonna Sell me.

Dawn was just arriving as we were dropping 550 - 650 M into the abyss like hole that was not on the charts.   With likely sign on the bottom and an epic layer 300m down we were shore we would get bit.  But unfortunately only one grey boy shark of about 2 foot came from the 4 hours spent fishing eachlayer of bait 

Moving we found some surface bait balls and some trolling ensued but again no bites.

Next to another canyon with a huge hole had us marking 70m of bait layer in 650m.  Not a nibble on the sword bait and our ledger rib had small bites taken out of the bait I wonder if we were seeing rayes bream.?

Anyway another huge day on the water on new ground proved tricky fishing but still fun!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 6:44pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good effort Jake and of course in winter anything goes even the slow bitein colder water, maybe a bigger moon will attract bait and predators up to feed.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 9:04pm
Platinum
Platinum

yeah this is true Al.  Good to try new spots.  might have to visit them again in warmmer months.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 9:50pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sometimes it's 10 times more exciting prospecting new ground - because you just never know what's going to unfold! Sounds like a wicked day out on the water regardless of the results...
Proud supporter of Ronald McDonald House & the team at Legasea

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:01pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It's interesting that you mention a layer at 300m down.
Do you ever hold the sword baits in or close to the dsl layer or mainly have them near the bottom?
One or two small swords get caught each year off Perth.  Most are deep drop bycatch although they have been targeted on occasions but not with any consistent results that I'm aware of.   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 8:11pm
Platinum
Platinum

We fished both the DSL and the bottom.  We basically put a bait above below or in the bait all day.  Only on one occastion I was sure there was an apex predator where the DSL funneled up 100m into a ball but we didnt have a bait ready at the time and couldnt find it again.  thats fishing.