My first Bay Of Plenty SBT

Post Options Post Options   Likes (9) Likes(9)   Quote Mayhem_Fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My first Bay Of Plenty SBT
    Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 9:56am
Mayhem_Fishing View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi all,

We went out wide in hope of a SBT last Friday. Got up nice and early and put the lures in just on sunrise. At around 10:30am we had a strike on the outrigger. The Tiagra 50w started screaming and we were scrambling to clear the gear and get on the rod! I picked up the rod and clipped it into my Blackmagic equaliser and the fish had taken well over 300m of line off the reel and I upped the drag to strike and managed to subdue the tuna’s run. It dove down deep and came in pretty easy after that first run. 

We thought that it could’ve been a 15 - 20kg albacore due to the lack of fight. As we saw colour we could tell that it was a little bigger than an albacore. The call was made for the flying gaff and was sunk perfectly! We pulled the tuna aboard and took some photos before proceeding to bleed, gut and pack the fish on ice. 

We weighed the fish in at the Mount Maunganui Sport Fishing Club. The tuna ended up going 62.9 kilos after being bled and gutted. This is my biggest fish to date and is heavier than me! 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:32am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Well done Hayden, a fish you will always rememberThumbs Up
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:33am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very well done mate.Clap
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 10:35am
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cracking fish Hayden, congratulations and thanks for the well written review .
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 11:26am
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Fantastic fish and effort, you are living the dream, make sure you keep those photos safe so you can show the generations to come
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 12:05pm
Moots View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Good work mate! Was this caught down off Waihau or did you head out wide from Tauranga?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 12:34pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Totally Fricken awesome Hayden. Congratulations to you and your dad, you guys are a very formidable team.
Part time Devils Advocate, Fulltime procrastinator
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 1:50pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Top effort young man. 
Even better to hear it was prepared properly prior to weighing.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 2:27pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Nice one Hayden, well done Clap
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 3:30pm
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done mate, sounds like a good no mucking around way to catch your first SBT.
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mayhem_Fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 7:28pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

Top effort young man. 
Even better to hear it was prepared properly prior to weighing.  

Yeah when we gutted it the heat inside was incredible! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote 11166 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 9:59am
11166 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

so proud of you Hayden.  The twinnies both look up to you and are impressed with your catch. Me and John too.  Sounds easy, haha.  marlin next.  You're a legend.  Toni
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote White snake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 12:40pm
White snake View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Top catch.well done Hayden.Awsome on the gutting straight away and treating the fish with the respect it deserves.👌
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 4:24pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Excellent catch.
Well worth the grins.

Very impressed with your catch care culture of the food you've harvested.

And I'm sure the angling enjoyment and skill you have experienced are great personal rewards.

Would like you to express what or how you served this fine food and what did you think of it as a food source.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fitty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 9:01pm
fitty View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Well done Hayden and Mike.Really great to see that you took such great care of the tuna!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 10:20pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I can vouch for how well they looked after the fish as it tasted yummy a couple of nights ago, thanks for the fish Hayden and Mike.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mayhem_Fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 6:42pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

Excellent catch.
Well worth the grins.

Very impressed with your catch care culture of the food you've harvested.

And I'm sure the angling enjoyment and skill you have experienced are great personal rewards.

Would like you to express what or how you served this fine food and what did you think of it as a food source.

We ate the majority of what we had kept for ourselves (We had given quite a lot away) we had eaten raw as sashimi. We enjoyed the mixture of ginger and soy sauce as none of us are huge fans of wasabi. Have also vacuum packed and frozen some for another day. One of our mates also smoked the wings, heads and frames which was pretty epic! 

It was awesome to catch one, it was our 3rd trip trying with no success and to finally get onto one was pretty cool! Although it’s only a once a year trip as one fish gives heaps of meat that feeds multiple families and there’s no need to go out every week and keep multiple tuna. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 9:24pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great to see a fish well enjoyed👍
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 5:36pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Very cool Mayhem,
Your on the beginning of a food journey if you want.

I would encourage you to view how many ways the Japanese utilise their fish.
It's fascinating, respectful and really yummy, yummy being the ultimate thing there.

We all, those of us who enjoy hunt and eat food learn over time.

In respect of the tuna.. the belly flaps are the premium product for the Japanese market.

And it took me time to get it.

Just a mental block for me really.

It's outstanding in flavour and texture and there's three areas in just the belly flaps that are quite amazing on the palate.

But that's just my enjoyment I'm hoping you eventually figure out your own.

Cheers,

M
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 10:17pm
Speedy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Heya Mattoo,

Yeah those belly flaps were quite incredible in terms of the oil content and flavour - but to be honest, we probably didn't do them justice by steaking and frying them! Embarrassed

Without giving away any of your most treasured secrets, how do you prepare the flaps??

We obviously have a lot to learn still - this being our first ever "big" tuna...

Cheers
Proud supporter of Ronald McDonald House & the team at Legasea