ePropulsion

Page  <1 34567>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 8:09pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

20,000 hrs no maintenance. Good run time.. Im not big on EVs but for a small outboard batteries really make a lot of sense.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2020 at 7:02pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

momentum seems to be picking up with electric boats. Love it!!
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 5:27pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 5:53pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

my feelings is that electric boat propulsion currently makes most sense for dinghies - essentially on a small scale and for short run times. 

if i had a need for dinghy - less than a tender to a yacht - just to do the ship-shore-ship trip i think a battery elec outboard would be high on the list

i like the 'minimalism' of this;

No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 6:28pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Bounty Hunter Bounty Hunter wrote:

my feelings is that electric boat propulsion currently makes most sense for dinghies - essentially on a small scale and for short run times. 

if i had a need for dinghy - less than a tender to a yacht - just to do the ship-shore-ship trip i think a battery elec outboard would be high on the list

i like the 'minimalism' of this;

Interesting prop, must be more efficient being long, presume slow prop rpms also...
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 8:23pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 4:56pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Car ferries for Sweden. self; berthing and releases of its moorings, charges during the offload of cars in about 4 mins... clever technology taking off in Europe.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 10:24am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 12:54pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

295 and 590 HP models!Clap

https://www.electricsuperyachttenders.com/?fbclid=IwAR2dHn95VMTIlCEa_HcKXhi3K_OX8bjsnzr07wfDNDj4uRhSbbzb63qEPzo
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 3:44am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

why do they have to make the boat a spaceship design. Get these awesome engines into conventional tried and tested boats people want and the uptake will start. 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote e.m.p! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 9:35am
e.m.p! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

why do they have to make the boat a spaceship design. Get these awesome engines into conventional tried and tested boats people want and the uptake will start. 

Horses for courses (literally). After x amount of years being confined to the restrictions and dimensions of combustion engines, designers finally can embrace new tech and possibilities and can concentrate on details for making their products fit the purpose.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 2:35pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 5:32pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Jet Electric boat, loving the developments...Clap

https://plugboats.com/new-crowdfunding-deepspeed-electric-hydrojet-motor/?fbclid=IwAR1B0z5_6Z8UGh95UetGerTBL4m8U1AfAHelhFWjChl-IEBshAFVCmaGDR0
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 5:30pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 7:58pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Denmark - Norway to build hydrogen ferry...

Yup.
Hydrogen the way to go.
One battery instead of a whole bank.
Smaller footprint during production and recycling.
Far better for the environment and the slaves used to mine rare earth metals for the batteries in third world countries. Thumbs Up
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2020 at 12:10pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whippersnappyr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 7:30am
whippersnappyr View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I shudder to think what this thing cost with those batteries. Also did you notice the article saying Ports of Auckland are expecting delivery of a bigger one in 2021?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 10:40am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 12:52pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2021 at 6:34pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmm.
There is a big push for EV cars in NZ. There is an EV Association - forget their name. They have an aim of something like 20,000+ more EVs on the road in next 2-3 yrs. All good so far. (of course they want to sell plenty) Then the Q of how we charge them all (Rio tinto is back on). I asked them last yr what the plan was for all the dead batteries (not an easy solution as far as I know). No answer. Hmm. So I asked Julianne Denter - who was also prooting the idea - green answer to FF. What I got was basically, we will sort it later. Can you see the problem? You would think if this was a policy to solve an environmental problem, the pending environmental issues of the solution would already be addressed? 
Then there is the mining footprint (and CO2) for the rare earths used in a lot of the battery technology. Tonnes of earth mined for gms of earth.
My money is still on hydrogen - I posted on this a yr or so ago.
Alan 
Legasea Legend member
Page  <1 34567>