Big Winter Red Winner! Mokau...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (5) Likes(5)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Big Winter Red Winner! Mokau...
    Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 9:20pm
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi All, another week another good yarn so here we go again on the keyboard. The past week or so Iv'e been organizing with Bruce, another Forum member from Auckland to purchase a second hand Trailer for the Mac boat as the current one is on its last legs, extreme rust, Blocks welded where springs once worked and wobbly wheelsLOL During this time i read on line about the Counties Manukau Icebreaker Comp being a fish anywhere event. A week out from it I made a quick  call to Smudge to hold me a Ticket as Swellmap was looking promising. Last Friday, Saturday and Sunday were the fishing days with Sunday arvo 3 pm weighin. An Opening appeared for Sat but Dodgy. Made the call To me Bro night before. We hit the beach at daybreak, the usual kit plus Balaclava's this time as it was real coldLOL Launching was sweet but the further we went the uglier it got. We anchored up where we have been getting good Snaps lately. Wishy Washy sea with small caps we got into the usual rhythm of catching fresh bait for our Straylines. Then the next two hours got smashed by big Sharks- Topes and Greys before the Snaps finally turned up! I had a Great first up Snap of 8.90 kgs. That was it, got one for the weighin, Ye Ha. A few minutes later, Mick hit one almost identical size and weight. He hadn't entered so a Quick shot and back it went. A few Smaller ones for eating over the next hour then weather started to turn ugly so up came the anchor, time to head in. While on the drift for a few minutes with my last Strayline still out it Literally screamed off as i went to wind in! Holy Crap thats a big Snap! Slowly played it in and up popped a 10.40 kg specimen. Arrived at weigh in caught up with Smudge, Skoti and a great bunch of others over a few beers etc. My fish got a bit of attention and hit the scales at 10.13, lost a bit over the last 24 hours. Was then dragged away by a guy with a fancy camera who took the last Shot! Now I know how to make a fish look alot bigger in a Photo! Prizegiving was awesome! Top quality gear and cash. I ended up 1st in the Snap section, was rapt, but in the other catagories there were fantastic Kingies, Bluenose, Hapuka, gurnhard and Kahawai. If you haven't met up with Smudge, Skoti and others at the Counties Manakau Club put it on your Bucket list. Great Comps! I will be back for SureThumbs Up  Stoked with Trailer Bruce! A few photo's Myself with the two I caught, My Brother just about to release his and  The Shot taken at Comp.Beer 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 9:35pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Wow Geoff! A pleasure to catch up again. Hope the Auckland traffic was good for you. The Ice Breaker comp is one of our smaller events but is a real favourite with the hardcore guys. We can fish anywhere in the country on the first Friday, Saturday & Sunday of July which is the official start of the new fishing year for SFC aligned clubs.

Every year we target snapper gurnard and kahawai in the Msnukau Harbour. Most years we do ok. This year saw no prizes for Team Smudge but as always it was a cool event with 80 or so anglers competing for red crayfish, wreckfish, kingfish, kahawai, snapper, gurnard and broadbill swordfish.

Well no surprises who won the snapper section! An amazing fish Snapper Geoff.

We had 3 boats fishing North cape, a heap more at the Mercs ad god knows where else. Probably (definitely) the two smallest boats took out the snapper & gurnard prizes. A local chappie got the gurnard with a 1.06kg fish from a 14ft tinny and Snapper Geoff got the top spot - the snapper prize from a 3.6m Mac! From the west coast!! it was rough as sh!t!!!

Awesome Geoff, bloody marvelous, it's stories like that that keep us going.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 9:38pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

NICE!!!!! Congrats.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Skoti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 11:37pm
Skoti View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good to catch up Geoff and well done on first place for your snapper .
That's Club Matt who posts here from time to time who took that picture .
COVID is no joke !
One former patient was so brain damaged after , he thought he won an election he lost by 7 million votes .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 7:27am
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You certainly know how to turn up with the Hug goods, well done.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 8:15am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Wow Geoff! A pleasure to catch up again. Hope the Auckland traffic was good for you. The Ice Breaker comp is one of our smaller events but is a real favourite with the hardcore guys. We can fish anywhere in the country on the first Friday, Saturday & Sunday of July which is the official start of the new fishing year for SFC aligned clubs.

Every year we target snapper gurnard and kahawai in the Msnukau Harbour. Most years we do ok. This year saw no prizes for Team Smudge but as always it was a cool event with 80 or so anglers competing for red crayfish, wreckfish, kingfish, kahawai, snapper, gurnard and broadbill swordfish.

Well no surprises who won the snapper section! An amazing fish Snapper Geoff.

We had 3 boats fishing North cape, a heap more at the Mercs ad god knows where else. Probably (definitely) the two smallest boats took out the snapper & gurnard prizes. A local chappie got the gurnard with a 1.06kg fish from a 14ft tinny and Snapper Geoff got the top spot - the snapper prize from a 3.6m Mac! From the west coast!! it was rough as sh!t!!!

Awesome Geoff, bloody marvelous, it's stories like that that keep us going.
Thankyou for the kind words Smudge!Had a Great few hours in the Big Green Shed with the cold wind howling throughLOL We struck a good run Traffic wise until I took the Mrs Fabric shopping at New Market towing a boat trailer! Bit of a Zoo there. I stayed in the ute double parked on yellows half on footpath,Mokau Style!Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 8:32am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by feeder feeder wrote:

You certainly know how to turn up with the Hug goods, well done.

Cheers
Thanks Dennis! If its a fish anywhere Comp and I get a Sniff, I love the challenge of trying to nail a good fish. And theres no other boat Id'e rather be in than the silent little Mac. Being so quiet and low to the water you hear every click and feel in touch with the Snaps wot they are doing with the bait when they go on there Runs.Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 8:34am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by krow krow wrote:

NICE!!!!! Congrats.
Thanks Doug!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 8:37am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Skoti Skoti wrote:

Good to catch up Geoff and well done on first place for your snapper .
That's Club Matt who posts here from time to time who took that picture .
Great to catch up Skoti, next time up I bring the rums and stay the Night!Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 12:19pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Well done Geoff, i did not realise you were up i would have come down to the shed to meet you finally. I still intend to take a spot on the mac one day, maybe when its a bit warmer, man that looked cold out there.
Great to see the variety of fish caught in winter, damn we've got it good here in NZ, though im not sure how to tell the Mrs the gurnard she caught on Saturday would have won the comp if we were in it, but thats fishing for you.
Nice photos by the way, looks like a great event.

Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sea reason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 1:38pm
sea reason View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Great read,great fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 3:39pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by CrayZfish CrayZfish wrote:

Well done Geoff, i did not realise you were up i would have come down to the shed to meet you finally. I still intend to take a spot on the mac one day, maybe when its a bit warmer, man that looked cold out there.
Great to see the variety of fish caught in winter, damn we've got it good here in NZ, though im not sure how to tell the Mrs the gurnard she caught on Saturday would have won the comp if we were in it, but thats fishing for you.
Nice photos by the way, looks like a great event.

Hi Steven look forward catching up with you also as we have been in touch for a few years on here now.  Its cold but we have the proper gear on to keep warm. Beer 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 3:41pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by sea reason sea reason wrote:

Great read,great fish.
Thanks Sea reason.Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 9:53pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great stuff, Geoff. Bringing home the bacon, yet again. My favourite part of the story is you in Newmarket with the boat trailer!