Solo day trip to Whangaroa from Jaffa-land

Post Options Post Options   Likes (8) Likes(8)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Solo day trip to Whangaroa from Jaffa-land
    Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 7:59pm
Johnny Watson View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Another massive day up north. Did the solo dash at 1:30am and launched the boat before 6. Loaded up on liveys in the harbour and it didn't take long to find a big pack of hungry Kings! The things were everywhere! There was one speeding along on the surface trying to inhale a baitfish for about 5 minutes, looking like a submarine putting out a big bow wake before busting up the surface into white water froth! Chucked a stickbait at it but it had tunnel vision going on! Managed 4 decent Kings on liveys to about 13kg, a decent King around 11kg on a softy, and a good Snap about 15 pound on a softy, all within an hour or two. Left the kings biting with half a tank of liveys left which is always hard to do. Shot out deep to a couple hundred meters and what do ya know, more Kingfish.... Landed another 4 good kings to about 13kg on deadbaits, but only 1 small Hapuka and one decent Gemfish after a few hours of winding. Shot back in to the shallows for a Snapper fish late arvo, managing a feed of nice pannies to complement the other species, and one good one going 73cm being released under the light of the full moon. Pulled anchor and left about 6:30pm, making it home at gentleman's hours of 12:15am 😂 Another stunning day in paradise, and a epic bin full of fish to boot 😀 Made up for 3 weeks without a fish, which was another day trip with a mate to Whangaroa but was 24.5 hours.... Always good getting onto decent numbers of Kings! The 150 litre chilly bin was looking pretty healthy by the end of the session

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote r20b_pp@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 8:23pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Awesome report & trip. I only got a 4.2 mtr alloy pontoon not sure on how I would get on up there as never fished the place but I do love a mission. Well done on the effort mate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 8:38pm
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers mate.

My boats only a 5 meter side console, though we took it out to the 500 meter line last time haha. Your boat will be more than adequate on the good days👍
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote r20b_pp@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 8:53pm
Silver
Silver

Mean. Sounds like a future trip to me. Which area weather would I look at. Sorry for asking so much but I'm sure you know how it is when planning a trip
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 9:01pm
Platinum
Platinum

No drama at all. I just look at Bay of Islands on Swellmap, then Rahina Reef forecast if going deep, or Stephensons Island if in closer. The harbour is usually stacked with massive Jack Macs and the Kings were only a couple kms out from the entrance. In the warmer months, and probably even now, there are good kings to be had in the harbour. Get there early during the Game season as it can get very busy like most places.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote r20b_pp@hotmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2020 at 10:38pm
Silver
Silver

Thanks very much. Sounds like a trip
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 7:44pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great report, mate. Northland is certainly an awesome place. What a memorable mission.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 8:36pm
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers TTK.

I've been fortunate enough to have had plenty of memorable days catching double figure amounts of Kings in a session in the Gulf the last few years, actually the best I did was 23 by myself one morning on stickbaits haha. BUT, it is definitely very satisfying doing it in an area that is still somewhat unfamiliar to me. It is so easy to get flustered or lose your mojo when you put in such a massive effort just to get there, and then you know you only have one day to make it happen. If the fish dont play ball for the first few hours like last time it can stress me out a bit lol. Can so easily double guess yourself and then drive past fish that are right under your feet whilst in search of some kind of "fishier area".....

It is bloody awesome having that bottom fishing opportunity close enough in for us small vessels, and when the weather turns it on like that it just tops it off 👍

Looks like it will be stunning up there again this weekend, wish I could make it back up again!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 6:42am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have a mate with a boat and house at Whangaroa and visit him often - what a magic place!
Do you ever get squid in the harbour?
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 7:19am
Platinum
Platinum

It sure is a very cool place. The rock formations on the hills and cliffs throughout the harbour are quite unique.

The water is generally dirty in the harbour from what I've seen, though I'm sure there will be Squid in there somewhere, especially going on the amount of other life in the harbour! If I was into it I'd try in the shallow bays just outside of the harbour.