Black dog Cats Experience sought.

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 3rnzir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2020 at 11:01pm
3rnzir View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Go for cable trays under both gunnels and a permatrim on your outboard engine.Every boat has compromises/issues.
Peace.Via superior firepower..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SeaJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 6:42am
SeaJay View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Boats all finished, was set to pick it up last Friday until they announced the lockdown. now stuck in Auckland and cant go get it. west coast was flat as a pancake on Sunday as well, tortured myself by driving down the beach to the port Waikato bar watching boats go out. 
Here's a video link if anyone wants to check it out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 11:39am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

wow that has alot Big tick features packed into it. Love the cage set up clean and usable. Those seats are tops.

One point would be the windscreen bracing in front of drivers view.

Keen to hear about your adventures and review CJam, looks the goods!!
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 5:50pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep... sweet looking rig.
They certainly have radically changed it from the previous model.
Good to see they have made a decent trailer. Love the transom cage.
Gazza could talk the leg off a chair... good rooster though. Mean spero.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SeaJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 4:02pm
SeaJay View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Boat Gone... bought a frewza
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 4:22pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by SeaJay SeaJay wrote:

There's gotta be more to this story :o
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 5:29pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

There's gotta be more to this story :o

Yes
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SeaJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 7:08am
SeaJay View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

They don't sell the 545 hardtop anymore and ill leave it at that. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2021 at 11:45pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Always interesting to read about new boats was looking forward to some reports.
    A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote SeaJay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 7:07am
SeaJay View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

How good would a top gear for boats be, someone actually telling the truth. I've never read a bad review in a nz boating mag. Its like they're too scared. Reviews on the cat all said good things.
I'd like to hear from other blackdog owners as they say there was a design error in just this particular model, would of been a scary ride coming back through the bar...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 8:19am
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Too much weight forwards perhaps. Hardtops on small boats are tricky to get right. If the company did the right thing by you no shame in it. 

I'm thinking of a hardtop on my 5.2m boat. 6mm ply and as light as I can make it. Sitting headroom only. Still pondering the design though. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 9:55am
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Gotta wonder about what actually is going on in there design deparpartment aye. 
There newer models are a radical departure from the first incarnation, that certainly had there issues. No doubt plenty of happy owners out there which is fantastic and good on them for doing coming different and making it work.... but using a paying customer as a guinnie pig ? Would love to know the full story seajay.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 3:53pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

All cats have their design problems been in a few over the years even sailed them. They seem to need a motor on each hull to drive the best but even then they have cavitation problems, they can dig the nose in drop off the plane for no reason. Be very unbalanced at anchor when wind and tide is in different directions the list goes on.

I’ve always asked myself if they are the bees nees then why aren’t there more manufacturers around and why is the market so dominated by mono hulls.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 4:13pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have heard a few stories about single motor cats - not working very well. One guy here had one - going back 30 yrs. Took the twins off and put a single on. Story was the boat was never the same - gone shortly after.
I have some time on twin hulls and some in fairly open/big water. I liked them for their ability to ride over the crap sea. But they were twin motored and you use the individual motor trims to get the boat to sit right in whatever conditions  you are dealing with.
On a single motor I think you have one hand tied behind your back.
One Dog Cat has just turned up at our beach - had its maiden voyage a week ago. In a few months I am sure I will have some decent info to report - but may be too late for Mat.
One of my fishing crew went with him for the first trip - the guy was a bit nervous. 
They ventured out to where I was fishing - choppy/lumpy sea. I thought the boat would eat it - but the trip report was a bit ambivalent.  Seemed to be making hard work of it. Again, single motor.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 4:14pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Here's what I don't understand about cats - They are hugely popular in Aussie but not here. They have their followers for sure and I know a guy that has an earlier one 5m? maybe with a 90 on the back and he was very happy with his. Shark cats have their fans too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 5:23pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Agree - seem to be very mixed reports. Stuff going on we don't understand.
I was surprised when I saw the Dog Cat coming out to me a couple of weeks ago. I was expecting it to smash the sea conditions - I didn't. But neither did I. My mate on board said it was a problem trying to keep it on the plane - on/off the throttle all the time.
Some experience of the boats helps - they are different. So I put it down to beginner problems - so hard to make a real call. But if it was the boat I was expecting, it should have been easy. It wasn't.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 5:38pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I guess there's a reason why 'conventional' hulls are more popular
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 6:27pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Skoota power catamarans.wps (boatbuildercentral.com)

The following links may provide a little insight. 

The Cat 22 is only available in a twin-engine version. Whatever you may read in some brochures, a single engine is never efficient with that hull shape. A pair of 90 HP engines will push the CT22 well above 40 mph, two 70's will push her close to 30 mph and whatever the engine size, the CT22 will be more efficient than monohull planing boats at any speed.

This is from a Nautical Architect. There are ways around the efficiency issues, but it's always there. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 6:56pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Here's what I don't understand about cats - They are hugely popular in Aussie but not here. They have their followers for sure and I know a guy that has an earlier one 5m? maybe with a 90 on the back and he was very happy with his. Shark cats have their fans too

i think in australia, cats have traditionally been popular because of several reasons;

environmental - many locations have a shallow bar crossing, where cats have the advantage of lesser draft and better tracking down breaking waves. the aussies in many places have much longer runs than us to fishing grounds, where in the old days of less-than-reliable 2strokes, having twin motors was a big safety plus.

Financial - there is more money in australia, and theres no doubt that cats are more expensive to build and run. 
- fuel pricing. petrol is cheaper australia than in NZ - and where a large trailer boat in NZ might have a single inboard diesel - in aussie a big cat with twin outboards isnt that un-attractive fuel- cost-wise
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2021 at 7:14pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They don't sell the 545 hardtop anymore and ill leave it at that. 

the simple fact is - cats work best when they are large. the larger they are, the better they work and look. things tend to start coming right north of 40ft and a million dollars...

performance all comes back to bridgedeck clearance and the ability to spread the weight of the vessel over long/thin hulls.

if you want a metre or more of bridgedeck clearance (and you do) - incorporating this into a 6m boat is only going to result in something that looks like a block of flats. 

obviously not practical or aesthetic. 

good performing catamarans typically have a length-to-hull beam ratio in excess of 10:1. If you want that in a 6m boat that fits in your yard at home - there is never going to be sufficient bouyancy in the hulls to support any sort of structure, let alone outboard motor/s, batteries, big fuel tanks etc. 

a 10:1 L to B ratio in a 6m boat looks something more like a Hobie cat. 

and then there is what BlackDog are trying to do.

BlackDog are actually trying to produce a boat that runs more like a Hover-craft/aircushion type vessel - that is, relying on a pocket of pressurised air under the bridgedeck to help skip over the waves and reduce slamming. I gather it kind of works in some conditions where the boat can run at high speed and really force the air under the boat deck, but in many other situations it is not possible to create this 'ground-effect' and the boat turns into a dog...

As for the single engine - the manufacturer probably knows that twins would be far more effective for performance - where the hulls can provide an 'end-effect' and clean the water flow for the engine legs to run in, but it would make the rigs much more expensive and less competitive in the marketplace.
No disintegrations!
Page  <123>