Is heave and leave the only option ?

Page  <1 234
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 7:04pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Rainbow Rainbow wrote:

Considering that not that many people love eating trout I really can not see the sense in catching lots of them with dumbed  down gear.   However aiming for the lowest common denominator ensures that no one's rights are excluded even if this egalitarianism ultimately destroys the sport.      
Rainbow 

Exactly, Herb. Like me, you'll have many times seen local kids fishing in places such as the Bridge Pools of both the Tongariro and Waitahanui, roll casting in gumboots and using crappy old gear with guides held on using electrical tape etc. They catch plenty. The point is that anyone who wants to can fly fish.

I'd be interested to see survey data or submissions showing that people were being excluded by fly only.

It just seems like rule changes for the sake of it.

But that's modern NZ.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 8:35pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Fly fishing is a skill based sport and people get a great deal of satisfaction out of mastering it.    Its like climbing a mountain the higher you get they more you gain in self esteem.   Golf is the same, the ladder to climb is called a handicap.    There is no social or financial barrier to fly fishing in NZ so why is it still the most preferred method to catch trout (without fishing from a boat)???  
Answer: it is the most challenging and satisfying.    

Cheers

Rainbow

PS I am almost inclined to say that the people who run down fly fishing are to a large extent the ones who can't do it.    I wont because I might be called a Fly Fishing Snob, Elitist or Fly Fishing Supremacist or worse run the risk of being thrown in the river by the Me Too Brotherhood of the Spinners.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 9:09pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

It's a bit of a buggar being an old coot ( mid 70's) but one redeeming feature is being able to look back on the years of " protected" fly fishing.
For the life of me, I can't fathom why the stream mouths have been opened up to open slather.
Just bloody dumb, imho   
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 9:10pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Can’t say I’ve heard many spinners running down fly fishos but plenty the other way around. It seems to be fly guys that have the problem with spinners. The reasons that I’ve read above seem to be anyone can fly fish blah blah we are not elitist but you should do it our way it’s the proper way blahblah Spinning makes it too easy blah blah. Some people don’t want to fly fish and enjoy spinning simple as that no need to look down on them. Don’t be dicks about it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 9:22pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I'm not "running down" spin fishersDT.
My disappointment is aimed at the rule makers, blahblah..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Downtown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 9:32pm
Downtown View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My post wasn’t directed at you at all I’m pretty sure we typed them at the same time. I’m not saying the areas should be open to all either. just not a fan of the looking down on others that goes on and the reasons given.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 9:36pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dig out your surfcaster, Uncle!😊
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 9:41pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

Dig out your surfcaster, Uncle!😊

Might just do that RoyLOL
One way of looking at it, no need for expensive waders anymore.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote O'Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 11:33pm
O'Neill View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Manic might as well import Carp rods instead of Simms waders, set up heave and leaves like carp pop up rigs, well done F and G totally clueless changes to try and get more licence sales!
Seriously though I have all the gear to make this happen, rods, bite alarms, rod rests and I simply have to have a hand on the fishing rod to be legal, put it 50 m out the back of the pipe with a small lead clipped on to get the mainline on the deck sorted, see what F and G say when they see this!LOL

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 12:14am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Get real      This isn't about "spinning" it is about using spinning reels and mono or braid to cast globugs out at stream mouths far further than any shooting head.    If someone would throw a spinner here, there and everywhere in such a confined space he would tangle all the setlines up in no time and would just as quickly go for an involuntary  cold swim.     Clearly F&G has not fully understood where and how this will end up.

Cheers

Rainbow

PS My dig isn't about spinning it is about the incompatibility of fly fishing and spinning in such a confined space as a river mouth.     Imagine what would happen if this occurred at the gates at the Ohau Channel.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote O'Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 8:16am
O'Neill View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Exactly Rainbow, spinners will catch flylines, first time there is conflict I will ring F and G and complain about this stupid rule change.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 8:58am
taurangatroutmaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I'm a flyfisher but aslong as everyone has ettiquite I don't care what method they use, even bait fishing is fine by me. Can't see the river mouthes getting over run with spin fishers. Fishing river mouthes is the most boring form of trout fishing anyway. Get up the rivers it's way more fun. Opening up easy access to spin fishers isn't an issue imo. Just like any other piece of trout water the first person to get there and the person fishing the best lie will have the advantage wether they use spin or fly gear is a personal choice. The people who fly fish shouldn't expect people to do the same just because it's the way they do it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 10:44am
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

During the Big Fish years I spent countless nights freezing my balls off for one fish or two if I was lucky and that was before down riggers and jigging.    Nowadays it is even less productive so my sympathies go to the hopeful souls trying to pick up a few scraps.

Since I have started jigging using a good fish finder I have got a much better overview of where fish are and mostly where they are not.     They definitely don't hang around river mouths or close to shore at least at Rotoiti.     A few come within casting range at night mostly when the pipes are running.      On my last trip I watched a few hopefuls in deck chairs at Ruato getting nothing but a suntan while a good pod of fish was sitting tight in 25m a few hundred meters out in the lake.      Coming in and out several times during three days of fishing in that area I never saw a single fish closer in than that. 

At the pipe at Hinehopu I have seen them on the dropoff (if they are there at all) but again most are miles outside casting range.      If the scrapping shore anglers only knew about their miserable chances  most would not bother and stay home by the fire.    The smart ones would get a kayak or a dinghy and never look back. 

Fish and Game is dreaming it they think shore angling will grow if they ease the rules.   

Rainbow
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 12:54pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

[QUOTE=taurangatroutmaster]Just like any other piece of trout water the first person to get there and the person fishing the best lie will have the advantage wether they use spin or fly gear is a personal choice. /QUOTE]
Many years back in the 1980s after a walk and difficult crossing in the dark at the Cliff pool on the TT we sat down for a coffee and saw in my bag was a 5 piece spinning rod with reel and a red Veltic and red tail fly. Out of devilment I had a cast and got a nice rainbow, first cast. Mate repeated exactly the same - 2 casts, 2 fish (C&R, of course). Always told me that spinning could be VERY effective.

A friend flew a drone over the Waimarino river mouth and you could see a decent shoal circling from 100 m out to back to casting distance and the general concensus was the fish are biting but that only occurred as the shoal got in close. Not sure if Rotorua stream mouths have the same shoals circling?
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Page  <1 234