Is heave and leave the only option ?

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2020 at 8:59pm
taurangatroutmaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've used flys on behind ball sinkers with spin gear plenty of times on trout in big rivers and done well. Lake fishing heave and leave with a booby fly or floating glo bug would be no different than the same fly on a shooting head and short leader as far as presentation to the fish goes. Fly fishing is my favourite type of fishing for sure but using spin gear can be just as technical. I don't understand how anyone could enjoy flyfishing but turn their nose up at catching the same fish on spin gear
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 11:01am
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Agreed about leaving rods unattended, the only time I left mine was for 1min to grab a beer from the fridge haha!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 12:02pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by taurangatroutmaster taurangatroutmaster wrote:

I've used flys on behind ball sinkers with spin gear plenty of times on trout in big rivers and done well.r

As you probably know, also deadly on kahawai - why more people don't do it in the salt is a mystery to me.  Much better than towing a Smith Jig past a boil up, for example.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 11:07pm
taurangatroutmaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah I cast silicon smelt, grey rabbits etc behind small ball sinkers in the surf for kahawai. Awesome fun when u get the big west coast kahawai they feel like small kingys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote O'Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 6:32pm
O'Neill View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Got a response from F and G today;
"In short, yes from 1 October 2020 spin fishing will be permitted on Lake Rotoiti and Tarawera at all lake shoreline locations.  Council have chosen to implement this (at their June 18 meeting) in the interests of simplifying the rules and creating greater participation in the sport of freshwater sports fishing. The decision was unanimous.

A number of winter shoreline angling locations were (as you no doubt are aware) made inclusive of spin fishing in previous Anglers Notice reviews. These included, The Orchard, Otumutu Streams, Waitangi Stream at Lake Tarawera and Hauparu Bay and Waiiti Stream mouth at Lake Rotoiti and in our summer fishery Awahou Stream mouth and the area within 200m lakes side of the Ohau Channel in Lake Rotorua.
We as staff have received very few complaints or heard of issues arising from the switch".
Well lets hope spin anglers respect FF.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 9:48pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm sure it won't be as disruptive as you might think.
Can't see a big increase in licence sales to spin fishers.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 10:44am
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Does anyone have a F&G definition of spin fishing? Be interested to know, as I can't see any reason now why you couldn't anchor up at the log pool and drop a jigging rig over the side on a spinning rod?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote O'Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 1:03pm
O'Neill View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nothing obvious. All their promotional material shows it as casting and retrieving a lure. Will lures such as Rapalas with double trebles be/are allowed?
What about the releasing of Jacks at one Tarawera location with trebles stuck in them from a "newbie" or is that rule also gone?
Simplifying the rules?  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 1:20pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

To me once you are allowing fly fishing and spinning from all locations, and assuming spinning covers retrieved lures, artificial flies behind ball sinkers, and glo bug heave and leave type rigs, then it's virtually pointless not allowing other forms of boat fishing in the same locations e.g. harled lures, jigging etc. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote O'Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 2:45pm
O'Neill View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So new rules needed to "simplify" the situation? Currently markers at locations show a 200m distance is needed by boats.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 3:35pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I just think there are still alot of rules around what is and isnt fly fishing, so if you are going to loosen up the methods at what were fly fishing only points and effectively have no exclusive fly fishing zones then you may as well do away with any rules around what defines fly fishing and change to "whatever you can lob out there with a fly rod"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 3:37pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

For example on rotorua lakes why not do away with it all and have a year round season, all methods excluding bait as long as it is from a rod and reel, no more than 3 flies or lures, no treble hooks. Would save money printing the rule books too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 4:43pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by O'Neill O'Neill wrote:

Nothing obvious. All their promotional material shows it as casting and retrieving a lure. Will lures such as Rapalas with double trebles be/are allowed?
What about the releasing of Jacks at one Tarawera location with trebles stuck in them from a "newbie" or is that rule also gone?
Simplifying the rules?  

I can't see any rule in either the main section of current regs or the Eastern Region schedule about no treble hooks on "spinners".

You do raise an interesting point re what defines spinning. At the moment, the regs state:

“spin fishing” means to fish for sports fish with a spinner. “spinner” means any artificial lure other than an artificial fly

So does that mean you can't fish sinker and fly (floating with foam, or non floating) legally in spin areas around Rotorua?

There are rules which limit the number of lures (only up to 3 at a time); no scented softbaits.

The most recent version of the Eastern schedule still only allowed hens to be taken at the Te Wairoa mouth.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote O'Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 6:27pm
O'Neill View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Perhaps F and G need to already clarify the rules for what they want to introduce? To increase licence sales.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 7:28pm
Titanium
Titanium

Surely they need to encourage inclusiveness by opening up the final frontier - live baiting using smelt LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 8:10pm
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

All I know is I've consistently watched the person who can cast the longest shooting head have the most success at the pipe, so I know what I'll be lobbing my glo bug out with next winter and it wont be a fly rod. Also wont need to be closest to the pipe if they are fly fishers cause I'll be able to lob a sinker out just beyond and behind them haha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 8:21pm
Titanium
Titanium

As they say, if you can't beat 'em...beat 'em.

Mind you, I can't see those blokes who camp in front of the main spots sticking to fly fishing if they can use a spin rod.

And what about the poor old Kontiki fishos. About time F&G stopped discriminating against them. Watch this space.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 9:06pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

As they say, if you can't beat 'em...beat 'em.

Mind you, I can't see those blokes who camp in front of the main spots sticking to fly fishing if they can use a spin rod.

And what about the poor old Kontiki fishos. About time F&G stopped discriminating against them. Watch this space.

And don't forget about the Reti board guys. They would go well in the streams and rivers. Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rainbow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 12:17pm
Rainbow View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Considering that not that many people love eating trout I really can not see the sense in catching lots of them with dumbed  down gear.   However aiming for the lowest common denominator ensures that no one's rights are excluded even if this egalitarianism ultimately destroys the sport.      
Rainbow 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote O'Neill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 3:13pm
O'Neill View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

So Fish and Game need to define in the rules what is spinning? Is this really simplifying the rules, I doubt it!
Page  <1234>