Gurnard thread

Page  <123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 9:10pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

To those who target Red Gurnard. What would you rate as the best baits.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 9:51pm
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cirrus, I have good results with salted kahawai but have recently been getting my biggest gurnard on straylined fresh kahawai, way way back in the burley trail...quite big baits too

We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 10:00pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Beautiful gurnard you have there. In past i have used skipjack or kahawai . But havent done any good for gurnard lately in my usual spots.
Last one i caught was late Feb in H.G . Went 42 cm , and caught  on a square bit of kahawai skin with scales on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2020 at 10:39pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Strips of kahawai work really well but unlike Transformations I like it to be frozen and mushy. Which just goes to prove that you need to keep an open mind on what works because as you can see Transformations knows how to catch the big ones! Mullet is a great bait too as is skipjack tune (bonito). A big gurnard will certainly take a biggish bait, especially if it is straylined but I like to keep those baits long and thin.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 6:50am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by wayno wayno wrote:

I made the mistake of taking one of those spotted gurnard home---once!
Was not pleasant to eat, even the cat turned his nose up at it.
Same.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 6:56am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Once we came across a big work-up off Raglan and got our limits in no time.
We stopped fishing (was a flat-calm, mid September day at 75M) and started slabbing/gutting our catch and only 2 could work at a time so during my spell off-duty I decided to drop a jig, 150 mm blade, and immediately started catching big gurnard. We'd only caught snapper up to that point. Surprised at catching gurnard on a jig.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 10:13am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Fishb8 Fishb8 wrote:

Once we came across a big work-up off Raglan and got our limits in no time.
We stopped fishing (was a flat-calm, mid September day at 75M) and started slabbing/gutting our catch and only 2 could work at a time so during my spell off-duty I decided to drop a jig, 150 mm blade, and immediately started catching big gurnard. We'd only caught snapper up to that point. Surprised at catching gurnard on a jig.

Red gurnard are a coomon catch for us on small jigs from shllow water right through to 60m
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 10:46am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

They also take slow moving softbaits, Smudge. I've got a few as very welcome bycatches when targeting snapper.I rate carrots very highly for eating - pan fried in butter with skin on. Eyes closed, I couldn't pick the difference between john dory and gurnard.

I suspect Tamaki Strait may hold decent numbers of gurnard in the winter in the same way the 10-15m flats off East Coast Bays do - as Shane and the kayak guys up that way have got on to. Similar habitat and bottom with crabs, crustaceans etc.

My best ever - just over 50cm - was caught off the shore along Wellington's south coast on a half pilchard which was intended for a kahawai. They get some big ones down that way. If you look at the DB length comp hall of fame, they're 54/55cm and all from Wellington/Marlborough area.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 11:14am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One prime-time spring snapper trip out of Kawhia, using my favourite bait of steamed mussels, it started with a roar of a 16 lb snap. That was my only snapper of the day but started catching some mega gurnard - most in the 30 - 350mm length. All on 8/0 dropper rig. No complaints at all.
Never had such a stream of gurnard like that ever since but we were in shallower water than usual.
Gurnard are certainly good eating and I like to skin them and cook the skin separately Lovely crisp, tasty gurnard skin - a real delicacy!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2020 at 2:41pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

They also take slow moving softbaits, Smudge. I've got a few as very welcome bycatches when targeting snapper.

Yes, a slow fished softbait especially a curly tail in a pumpkin seed type colour work well but haven't fished softies for gurnard in years.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 7:43am
feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fresh kahawai is good bait, not uncommon to catch 3 or 4 carrots on the same bait, another interesting thing, most of the single carrots are caught on the top hook of our ledger rigs, usually in 40/50m.

Cheers
The only bar to frequent is the Kawhia Bar
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 10:47pm
sappercatcha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Shot out on the Kaipara this morning with my brother and 6yo Nephew
I’ve recently upgraded my sounder/chart plotter
And all my marks are saved in my phone
Geuss what I forgot my phone lol
(Yes my brother had his as a back up Communication device) if the vhf failed

Essentially we were flying blind to alot of my Usual spots as they are in the shellows and not marked on the charts so I picked a gut I remember doing well in with a mate a few years back Anchored on the edge of the gut in 3m (its 5m at deepest point and drops out of 1.5m
And deployed the Burly

We had 3 rigs set up my Nephew had a black magic tarakihi terminator (smuge’s suggestion)

And two Variations of the sinker above a droper rig method

I had a fixed sinker about 10cm above the trace
And my brother had a running sinker above his
My brother and myself were using light gear
He had is 6kg soft baiting set up
I had my trout jigging combo a 2-4kg set up with 3 kg braid and
And our rigs were tide with 4/0 mustard demons on 25lb Fluorocarbon really thin stuff

The Nephew Obviously being 6 was useing heavyer gear and the flasher tied with 40-60lb??

Anyway how did it go
Well the lighter more Sensitive gear was definitely an advantage
The flasher rig only managed one gernard all be it the biggest of the day a really nice fish... Plenty of ky to keep him busy though

Next best was my fixed sinker rig I got 2 good eaters I got alot less ky also which is always good

My brothers running sinker was the highlight grabbing 5 gernard

Best bait was ky with skin taken off just slivers of meat it’s actually Surprisingly tough

Filleted 2 before we remembered photo do only 6 and fillets showen lol
Also took 6 ky to smoke and top up bait supply

keep up the good work boys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2020 at 11:24pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Well done Darryn!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Transformations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 10:53am
Transformations View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice catch👍...I also find that a single or 2 hook sliding rig has the best results 😉

We don't know what we don't need till we've got it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 6:24pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great report, sounds like a good day out with the young fellow. Tasty dinner, for sure.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 7:00pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice report sapper.  
Iv never really had alot of luck with the ol Gurnard over the years. Got a few once close in of Pakiri beach when returning from a slow day out at LB. Makes me wounder weather its worth setting up and heading over there again just for a change of scenery.
Has anybody else had much success in that area?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote sappercatcha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 9:15pm
sappercatcha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Great report, sounds like a good day out with the young fellow. Tasty dinner, for sure.

Yeah he lives for fishing just like his dad and myself and both his grandfathers lol
He gets a little bored if fishing is slow as we all do but he keeps himself Entertained.. yesterday he was busy catching ky sometimes 2 at a time hahaha

He’s lucky to have keen fishermen on both sides Of the family
Who have boats So he gets no shortage of fishing
keep up the good work boys
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Spearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 7:06pm
Mad Spearo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

South of Ponui, last 2 hours of outgoing this morning. Berley. Anchovies, pilchard and old ky baits.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 7:11pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mad Spearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 7:36pm
Mad Spearo View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Where abouts?
Page  <123>