Rescue Fish - Proposed Fisheries Overhaul

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rescue Fish - Proposed Fisheries Overhaul
    Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 4:58pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 3:26pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2020 at 8:07pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

thanks for that Catchalot! Signed petition pronto. Fantastic idea every fisher should sign if they care. 

Hope something comes from it  what’s been done today isn’t working anything is better 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 8:19am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So I spent an hr y/day discussing the state of our fishery (where I fish) with MPI. I previously wrote to Nash telling him what a rubbish job he was doing. Along with the usual PR BS about our world leading sustainable fishery, he gave me an appropriate MPI contact to discuss it with (rather than bothering him with such trivial matters as the decline of a fishery).
I have to say she was pretty upfront, and after that discussion I am even more shocked and less surprised why the fishery is in such decline. I specifically asked why Puka are not included in the latest proposed stock assessment - which includes such important species as gemfish and Frost fish. The answer is shocking.
They don't have enough data on Puka to do any stock/quota assessment. There has never been a stock assessment for Puka prior to allocating quota and there has been no effort to manage them basically.And they are still not a priority. Meantime they slide toward oblivion - in the hands of our sustainable fishery management programme. This is scandalous. I asked her what data they needed when the evidence was right under their noses. Her best effort was to say "Sorry". 
If you haven't signed the petition, now is a good time.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lingee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 2:04pm
lingee View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

done, im in
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 4:58pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Basically what it means is,Govt buys quota back.Then those who want to can lease it for 1/2/5/10 yr what ever you think is viable.Gives the small operator a chance to land and sell to who ever he/she wants too.Not compelled to sell to Sanfords etc.No more overseas investor quota holder.Yes you/me can lease it too.
Has to be good all round and hopefully get small scale fisheries back in to coastal towns.
Pretty much how it was described to from Pieter at legasea.Longline preferred.
Marine reserves etc is just a band aid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 6:43pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I generally believed the fishery was in good hands (we are repeatedly told that - by Govt/Comms and Graeme Sinclair)- except I watch ours collapse over a few decades. Then I find out how they manage this stuff. It is scary. Why no attention to Puka?? Answer.... Because the research $s get directed to where the commercial return is best. (Mainly Hoki). Puka have been fished to the point of being economically insignificant - to the Comms and Govt export returns. So why would those guys want to spend $s confirming that fishery is stuffed. With the likely outcome of closure. So what happens.... zero input into determining what is happening. And meantime they preside over the decline.
If Puka were a native bird species these people would be hung. This is criminal. Now I get what Legasea are really on about with the QMS being a captured/crap system.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 8:12pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

I generally believed the fishery was in good hands (we are repeatedly told that - by Govt/Comms and Graeme Sinclair)- except I watch ours collapse over a few decades. Then I find out how they manage this stuff. It is scary. Why no attention to Puka?? Answer.... Because the research $s get directed to where the commercial return is best. (Mainly Hoki). Puka have been fished to the point of being economically insignificant - to the Comms and Govt export returns. So why would those guys want to spend $s confirming that fishery is stuffed. With the likely outcome of closure. So what happens.... zero input into determining what is happening. And meantime they preside over the decline.
If Puka were a native bird species these people would be hung. This is criminal. Now I get what Legasea are really on about with the QMS being a captured/crap system.
Alan

Welcome into the light Alan.
I had been in a running dispute with a pro fishing industry journalist who swears there is no waste or illegal dumping under the QMS because her sources in the industry tell her so. Wacko
Finally, we may have a journalist who is not a sycophant and has the cajones to take them and the politicians on.
Have already sent a congratulatory email.
Cheers.

Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bigfishbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 11:27am
Bigfishbob View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 12:01pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

There is still an SFO investigation going on about the NZ First Trust/slush fund.
Wonder if the result will be out before election. Could be problematic for Jacinda if it comes out after, and she forms a coalition Govt with a partner charged with fraud offenses. Somehow I think it may not bother her.
Alan 
Legasea Legend member