Looking to move to roto-vegas - feedback

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote advtracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking to move to roto-vegas - feedback
    Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 3:07pm
advtracing View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

After a year off work ( intentional ) and with 2020 turning to a dogs breakfast worldwide i have been planning to semi retire now and move to rotorua permanently.  
- trout fishing on your door step instead of a 2 3/4 hours drive each way 
-It seems the property market is turning to a buyers market down there...
- Everything is there as it is in Auckland 
- Tauranga is a short drive for a bit of top water / game fishing 
- bush / hills / mountains are a stones throw away 

So other then possibly little work and colder winters  , whats the down side that i don't see ? 
throw me your feedback especially if your a local 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 3:23pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Good hunting too. Not local, but downside seems to be a lot of ferals and the smell. I could get used to the latter.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 5:39pm
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

No other way to say this . Rotorua good kick back area, myself I quite like the place sulphur and all. But you really need to case out hard the neighbourhood of your choice, like hard.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 6:40pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

IMO every place in NZ has it's plus sides. Life is what you make it. There is only one downside for me in most areas and that is the ever increasing gang presence. I live in a lovely area in rural Auckland and there are 3 P labs within 5 mins drive. 

i think you can get a Mossburg for $600 Wink
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 6:43pm
Accident Prone View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I moved here 6years ago from Auckland and never looked back. Reasonable house prices, lots on offer in the way of outdoor activities. Yes there are some dodgy characters and areas here but there are also a lot in Auckland. It's quite easy to avoid the riff raff and as for the smell it's only in a few pockets around a few places not everywhere like people think. Great place to live and it takes me 12mins to commute right across town to work in peak hour!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote advtracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 7:56pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Hook-it Hook-it wrote:

No other way to say this . Rotorua good kick back area, myself I quite like the place sulphur and all. But you really need to case out hard the neighborhood of your choice, like hard.

i Figured  i would need to really case the area out and get the true intel on good ./ bad areas .  any were in Auckland now is no different, you think you are in a good zone only to have trash move in next door... 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote advtracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 7:57pm
Silver
Silver

maybe you could help with some direction re the good / bad zones etc..over a beer next time i'm down
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote advtracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 7:58pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Accident Prone Accident Prone wrote:

I moved here 6years ago from Auckland and never looked back. Reasonable house prices, lots on offer in the way of outdoor activities. Yes there are some dodgy characters and areas here but there are also a lot in Auckland. It's quite easy to avoid the riff raff and as for the smell it's only in a few pockets around a few places not everywhere like people think. Great place to live and it takes me 12mins to commute right across town to work in peak hour!

maybe you could help with some direction re the good / bad zones etc..over a beer next time i'm down
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 8:09pm
Accident Prone View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by advtracing advtracing wrote:

Originally posted by Accident Prone Accident Prone wrote:

<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">maybe you could help with some direction re the good / bad zones etc..over a beer next time i'm down</span>

Happy to help mate, no problem at all. Let me know when you're down next.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2020 at 8:32pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MightyBoosh MightyBoosh wrote:

Good hunting too. Not local, but downside seems to be a lot of ferals and the smell. I could get used to the latter.  

Whakatane and southwards to Te Kaha and Waihau bay, Lottin Point, just need to learn the Whakatane bar or drive the coastal road, great landbase territory.
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote old timer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2020 at 8:14am
old timer View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I moved here 2 years ago. Been a great place. 20mins to 12 different lakes I think. Good outdoor activities other then fishing. Can shot deer within sight of town if you know where to go. Agree good areas and bad areas in town .could try find a spot on the south side of the lake. Few lifestyle blocks of that's what you are in to. As said short drive to a lot of coast for sale water fishing and a bit over an hour to turangi
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote advtracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2020 at 11:44am
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by old timer old timer wrote:

I moved here 2 years ago. Been a great place. 20mins to 12 different lakes I think. Good outdoor activities other then fishing. Can shot deer within sight of town if you know where to go. Agree good areas and bad areas in town .could try find a spot on the south side of the lake. Few lifestyle blocks of that's what you are in to. As said short drive to a lot of coast for sale water fishing and a bit over an hour to turangi

it is what draws me to the area , looking to get a modest house to start and look for a bit of land to build a barn house of sorts ( the goal) over time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 10:23am
Kooza View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Local born and bred here...love the place.  Would be happy to help with advice etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote advtracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2020 at 2:12pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Kooza Kooza wrote:

Local born and bred here...love the place.  Would be happy to help with advice etc.

Thanks mate for the offer , i'll give you a bell next trip down