Is racism supported on this forum?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is racism supported on this forum?
    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 10:31pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Seems like it to me - my complaints about racist posts are taken down.  No profanity involved, jst calling racists racists.

Shame
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote brmbrm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 10:33pm
brmbrm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Wonder how long this thread will last....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 1:28am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by brmbrm brmbrm wrote:

Seems like it to me - my complaints about racist posts are taken down.  No profanity involved, jst calling racists racists.

Shame

When racist comments such as those you are referring to are made, they get hidden. When a post gets hidden, so do those posts that quote it. 

We're not supporting racism at all and won't tolerate it. I have suspended the person responsible for that post.

In no way was the aftermath intended to upset yourself or the others who quite rightly gave him a serve.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 8:05am
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I do not envy you or any moderator Smudge, as many a rational, relevant and informative debate has been shut down with cries/charges of "racism", "discrimination" or "intolerance".
That being said, you and the others are doing a grand job.
Even I have been a victim of your mighty hammer on a couple of occasions.
All hail Thor.
Ooops, sorry, Smudge.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 8:51am
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes - I have sympathy for Smudge - particularly with this thread which has wandered all over the place and often very heated. Not sure how it works - do you draw straws for the threads Smudge? You got the short straw with this one (covid).
Regards
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 8:56am
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by v8-coupe v8-coupe wrote:

I do not envy you or any moderator Smudge, as many a rational, relevant and informative debate has been shut down with cries/charges of "racism", "discrimination" or "intolerance".
All hail Thor.
Ooops, sorry, Smudge.

Well said, 

Smudge you guys are doing a great and awkward job. Sometimes there are blatant racist comments on here and that is coming from both sides of the fence and these need to be stamped on really quick. However there are other posts which if taken the wrong way could be seen to be racist but that probably was not the intention of the writer, but again it could have been, this is where it gets incredibly hard for the moderators. I don't envy you at all, but keep up the good job guys. Sadly i think it is only going to get harder going forward.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 9:11am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I agree with the other members comments above. Not an easy job Smudge. I saw the comment last night and I was in no way going to give the author the satisfaction of a reply.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 10:14am
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I dont think the general population is racist. I personally have many friends of all sorts of ethnic backgrounds but I must say that none of them are in the Feral class.

If I must be an "***IST" of any sort I would say that I am "CLASSIST" as I have nothing in common nor want to associate with general scum bags of any race. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 10:56am
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

I dont think the general population is racist. I personally have many friends of all sorts of ethnic backgrounds but I must say that none of them are in the Feral class.

If I must be an "***IST" of any sort I would say that I am "CLASSIST" as I have nothing in common nor want to associate with general scum bags of any race. 

Pretty much sums it up, well said.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 8:44am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by v8-coupe v8-coupe wrote:

All hail Thor.
Ooops, sorry, Smudge.

Pretty well sums things up.

I have been suspended a couple time way back by Smudge..
Not racist stuff..
At the time, and in retrospect, I knew was pushing limits..
Also I know Smudge personally , had few beers with him, and put him in the friends list. He is a very reasonable guy and a person who thinks thru very well.

Anyone who criticizes him in his moderation, or thinks biased in anyway is barking up the wrong tree...here and in the real world.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 12:08pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Some of you will remember the forums from the early days and those who have been involved since then could tell a story or two.

We have had our fair share of fruit-loops, nutbars and the generally unhinged pass through these hallowed pages and I can tell you that all of our mods have contributed immensely in keeping things largely on track for the past 17 years!

Without the support of the Mod Squad, the forums could not exist. Smudge is heading up the team and in my view does an amazing job supported by Uncle, Raging Bull, Craig W, Gatekeeper, JK, Far Quirk, PJay and others.  Smudge, Uncle, Boulder (and Bender who is no longer with us) have had a major role in the shape of the forums from day one and they deserve massive respect for their contribution to helping many develop their passion of fishing. Clap

Having an opinion on something does not necessarily make you right. Not being able to consider and respect another opinion seems to be the common denominator in the majority of issues we have with individuals on here. Thankfully and largely due to some very objective and balanced work from all the team, the forums have continued to be a place where people can have sensible discussion with others.

So to your original question BrmBrm, these forums are for like-minded individuals to interact and share, help and inform others. Race, belief or any other attribute of a forum member is completely irrelevant to the goals we have always had here. Anyone who has any other agenda is not welcome.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 12:34pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well put Grunta but can we please have Capt Pugwash back LOLLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Grunta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 12:37pm
Grunta View Drop Down
Admin
Admin

Comments like that could get you banned for life Craig!No Boatshow this year so missed our annual catch-up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 1:10pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

so ttm has gone?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 1:40pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

He doesn't appear to be on the Member list so I suspect he has been de-listed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 1:42pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yes, TTM is currently suspended
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 2:56pm
Tzer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Grunta Grunta wrote:

Comments like that could get you banned for life Craig!No Boatshow this year so missed our annual catch-up.

Bugger I dont want that, we probably weren't going this year so catch-up will have to wait another year
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 4:54pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

It was cool last couple yrs all hooking up around the same time at the stand...
 Been a while since the last Southern get together also..