Taking Mussels from mussel farms.

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taking Mussels from mussel farms.
    Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 12:41am
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

First up, no i am not trying to start a ruckus or condone theft.

Now i heard a few months ago that you could take mussels from a mussel farm for a feed  -  If  -  it was only from the floats themselves or the long rope that goes between the floats , like in the pic i have included. 

The reasoning being that the mussel farmers dont take these mussels and have to do maintenance on the ropes removing these mussels and they are essentially worthless to them.

Can anyone confirm this please ?   
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 4:26am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I believe yes you can remove them as they are a nusince.stand to be correct though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote taurangatroutmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 10:48am
taurangatroutmaster View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I've heard that u can do that, algud
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 4:03pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Why risk hearsay or someone said say.
Just phone or email the mussel farm and ask the question.
Then let us all know.
That's my suggestion.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 5:41pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 6:29pm
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Why bother with mussels in that pic ? would need to be bigger that that. That is the trouble with public in this country anything small is good until there is none left.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 7:41pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

think they are small as they are a different species than the green lip farmed. Look like big blues which are very good and used in Europe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Wanda_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 2:49am
Wanda_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks for the replies, that was just a random pic off the net as an example.

I will contact a few farms and a few working barges at the te couma wharf to ask them.

Will post the replies I get once i have done so.
If you think you are too small to make a difference,try sleeping with a mosquito in your tent.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 10:22am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Wanda_Ra Wanda_Ra wrote:

Thanks for the replies, that was just a random pic off the net as an example.

I will contact a few farms and a few working barges at the te couma wharf to ask them.

Will post the replies I get once i have done so.

That would be helpful WR & sure many members myself included would appreciate you taking the time to do so.

I was told once when down at French pass that the local mussel farm did not mind rec fishos taking a reasonable amount for their personal consumption, even if so this does not mean of course all farms do likewise ... so be good to have clarification.

Furthermore as we all know, false reports ( ask Trump ) can develop without foundation then spread like wild fire so best not to rely on hearsay eg.

It was a widely held belief that if you found a mussel farm buoy that had broken away then there was a reward of two sacks of mussels. By sheer luck came across one floating freely of all places in the Tiri channel, excited at the prospect of such a reward decided to bring it on board ... was only then became of how large & heavy they are, but with extreme difficulty finally manage to  do so. Next came the task of ringing around the various mussel farms in order to find out which one offered the best reward as it was sans any owners markings, only to be told by all & sundry they did not despite being expensive to replace they did not offer a reward for return & was no more than an urban myth.

I was subsequently told that one or two farms did offer reward for a short time but doing so proved counter productive when buoys began to go missing for no apparent reason other than for the for the reward.  

Said buoy was subsequently cut in half lengthways to re deployed as
garden vege planters.  
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 4:06pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well Folks I have all the information about taking farm mussels.Yes you can,not just from bouys/backbone but can legally take them from the droppers.Please when fishing farms hook on to backbone and if current/wind use 2 hooks so lines are not getting getting caught in droppers.

Was at field days today and Sanfords/Talleys/niwa were there and asked the same question and all 3 said "you are legally allowed to take 50 per day from farms.

Was interested in the  psh nets and had a scale model set up,can see how it works and how fish can be released alive.

Asked all 3 on thoughts about releasing snapper. Sanfords/Talleys claim the 4kg to 8 kg are the main breeders  and those over become territorial fish and do not leave immediate vicinity to mix with other spanwners.

Asked niwa and they had same thought and on releasing they firmly it is a feel good thing for recreational fisherman.They releasing a video on Youtube shortly which shows line caught and released back at depths caught in and the effect of baratrauma.Simular results to the video I have posted. Snapper particularly will not survive when release in depths of 20m or more.

Ended up talking to a arms officer and he said get friendly with any farmer south of  Hamilton with bush as farms are over run by deer. Farmers to busy to shoot them but happy to let responsible shooters loose in back paddocks.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 7:39pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Snapper particularly will not survive when release in depths of 20m or more.

Hopefully prove this wrong sometime. 
Last month I released 28 tagged snapper caught at over twice that depth. All allowed to deflate and swam off strongly. 330mm -> 550mm.
Hopefully time my tell. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2022 at 8:02pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by krow krow wrote:

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Snapper particularly will not survive when release in depths of 20m or more.

Hopefully prove this wrong sometime. 
Last month I released 28 tagged snapper caught at over twice that depth. All allowed to deflate and swam off strongly. 330mm -> 550mm.
Hopefully time my tell. 
Yeah well I dunno but nice to think they survive. They,niwa,claim can take a day or 2 to die.

How did you deflate them??
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 2:35pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hello Paul

Firstly, thanks for visiting us at Fieldays and thanks for the email.

Yes, legally a recreational fisher can harvest/be in possession of 50 mussels in a day.  Yes, we do get people taking them from our farms and we don’t object in principle, however we do know that there are some risks associated with that.  Firstly, the mussel farms are a working area and that means our boats are often there and we need to make sure any boaties around are being careful.  Our barges can’t change direction quickly, so sensible boating rules need to apply.  Also we have had incidents where people have cut or damaged mussel lines which isn’t great! 

So essentially, we are ok with people taking some mussels if they check with us first and do so really carefully, making sure they don’t damage the lines or put themselves at risk.  There was an incident a few years ago which I remember being told about where a boatie anchored his craft to the line, cut it, and then the weights on the line dragged his boat under – definitely something to be avoided! 

I hope this answers your question.  If you need contact details for our farming crews in Coromandel or Marlborough, let me know.

Many thanks

Fiona

Fiona MacMillan
General Manager Corporate Communications

E [email protected]

T +64 (9) 379 4720 F +64 (9) 309 1190

22 Jellicoe Street, Freemans Bay, Auckland, 1010, New-Zealand
PO Box 443 - Shortland Street 1140

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 3:32pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So that’s confirmed you can take limit of 50 mussels per person on boat by law from mussel farms but some farmers would like you to ask so they can tell where suits them but that’s not legally required.

That’s right yeah? 
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 3:44pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Reel Deal Reel Deal wrote:

So that’s confirmed you can take limit of 50 mussels per person on boat by law from mussel farms but some farmers would like you to ask so they can tell where suits them but that’s not legally required.

That’s right yeah? 
Thats my understanding too. Had to find out as thought they had it wrong. Now all it will take is one accident and industry will get us locked of farms.

Remember no scuba gear for taking mussels though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 6:53pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I see an accident as an extremely rare scenario, and a bit of a scare tactic to be honest. I prefer the blue mussels on the linking ropes anyway and always grab them as mussel farmers say they are a pain and get minced in the cogs and ropes. 
 I guess others on the boat might prefer green lips as well, which don’t get me wrong are yum and  sustainable and environment improvers via filtering. So a win win win. Mussel farms can still make their millions on public land/sea, fishers can help them by trying to control the mass snapper bio mass that grows around them, eating them daily and in return we get a feed of mussels for our entrees before our fish feed is served. Happily concede the law has finally found a sweet spot. One law down 2000ish to go…😁
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 8:30pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

so next question Oysters the same? Evil Smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2022 at 8:34pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by krow krow wrote:

so next question Oysters the same? Evil Smile
don't know.but it answers wander ra question at start of thread.and no you can't flick a rod in to a salmon penn. I guess Mussels to hard to police
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2023 at 11:51pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

After my email from "Sanfords" get this response via F/B messanger.

"Although people have right to be within the farm because it’s public space, the structures and stock are still private property. Taking or interfering with them without permission is an offense under the fisheries act.
It’s a common misconception that people have a right to take 50 mussels from a farm. That’s just the number they are allowed to be in possession of under the recreational fishing regs. In practice it’s not a big deal if people do grab mussels of floats, backbones or tops of the ropes, but it’s not something we want to encourage, because it is a workplace and we do have some exposure as the PCBU. ‘Locals’ tax on our mussels also adds up there are areas in Marlborough where we lose tonnes every summer. So as far as the response is concerned, we should tell people they have to ask before helping themselves to mussels."
Enter

Sanford Limited

Sanford Limited
Hope this answers your question and sorry again for the delay. As you can imagine people are in and out of the office a lot at the moment.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2023 at 6:43am
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That’s a request but not law yeah? 
Page  12>