A good price for a trailer lock ...........

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A good price for a trailer lock ...........
    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 1:23pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 3:03pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Looks a bit cheap and nasty Bazza, I bet with a screw driver and a hammer it could be smashed open in seconds.Ouch
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 3:23pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hmm - not too sure. The problem these days is battery powered angle grinders. Nothing is safe. The other option that way round is the expandable ball thing that sits inside the cup. Key inserts in the bottom. Nothing to cut off. 
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dontpanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 3:25pm
dontpanic View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I had a couple of this type a few years ago when I had a few trailers at home, definitely far better than having nothing for the price as it will put 80% of the opportunistic idiots from having a go but certainly someone with 1/2 a clue and basic tools could get one off without to much difficulty.
When we traded up on our trailer boat we did invest in one of those SAS jobs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 3:36pm
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Almost any security device these days sadly only serve at best as a determent given the portable tools now available.

Better than nothing nevertheless.

Maybe the best answer is to leave everything obviously unlocked ( as I have done mistakenly a few times ) & a would be thief is going to think
... no one would be that stupid ... must be a trap !!!
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 3:47pm
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ive had 2 boats stolen.
One with a thing similar to that - not sure how they got around it. Probably hit it with a sledge hammer.

Second had a padlocked chain around a shed pile. I think they simply drove off, and the jerk broke the padlock hasp.

I believe that "hardened"' steel is brittle - so hard to cut, can be broken by hitting it.

Now I have 2 things - one a humungous chain and a humungous padlock - second a SAS wheel clamp.

But nothing will stop cutting tools.

I certainly wouldn't buy an antitheft thing based on price.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dukeas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 4:01pm
Dukeas View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

When boat is parked at home, surely security cameras and similar are better deterrent. I've also a camera in car trained on boat trailer. There's more and more technology to help now, and not that expensive.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 4:19pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Got a 4 ton tractor parked in front of mine. Good luck shifting that without waking up every one for miles around
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 4:39pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Now thats a perfect anti theft device. Angle grinder would hardly dent it.
but yes - is getting more difficult to make burglar proof. Those wheel clamp things that cover the wheel nuts probably as good as it gets (SAS?)
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Moots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 5:49pm
Moots View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I have one of those alarm chain locks wrapped around coupling and drawbar plus a wheel clamp. Pretty sensitive, i have to rush and unlock the thing before the alarm goes off as soon as you touch it, it beeps and then after a couple seconds it goes off. If someone really wants the boat, they will get around the alarm issue, but it is enough of a deterrent for 99% of opportunistic thieves. Does help I have 2 cops and 10 other nosey neighbours around me to keep an eye on things!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 6:20pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Did the insurance thing the other day,wanted picture of boat security,wheel clamp+chain to tree and being around the back of the house they accepted it.wanted to know what security measures at ramp for trailer.padlock through hitch handle and clamp but I pointed out that the my vehicle would go before the trailer.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 6:21pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use one of these..... Trailer Helmet Hitch

Padlock slides up under neath through two rings, holding the unit over the towball,  you cant get at the padlock, as its recessed.
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 8:35pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

These are good had one similar, but they just cut the whole drawbar off and bolt of strap on a new one and tow it away. Happened to a trailer at Hatfield beach a few years back
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Sanchez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 9:17pm
Sanchez View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have a dog . Hes a nasty bastard to anyone he doesnt know.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 10:25am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Angle grinder would hardly dent it.

A battery grinder with the right type of cut off wheel.. like butter. We where messing with a few cut off wheels and steels at the sons place few weeks back.. was  bit of an eye opener.
A good  short mallet takes care of 99% of locks
The things that fill the ball, just hook up the chain, short if no jockey wheel.
 CCTV , a hoody, thu if filters set right and connected to txt you if the boat moves as in a Geovison CCTV, you will set it get towed away from anywhere in the world.
Removing wheels makes thing difficult as does dropping something big heavy and can move easy .. like a disabled tractor or digger.
An old cell phone tucked away, with its own back up battery, you will always trace as to where it is..and with a prog like like360, know the route they took.

The trouble is, unlike cars where most are opportunists , boats are targeted and the ppl doing have cased it, come well setup and prepared.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hook-it Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 12:27pm
Hook-it View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Alan L Alan L wrote:

Hmm - not too sure. The problem these days is battery powered angle grinders. Nothing is safe. The other option that way round is the expandable ball thing that sits inside the cup. Key inserts in the bottom. Nothing to cut off. 
Alan

Work well but do not lose the key's. When you do you need to refit entire coupling.Cry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mr Moritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 5:04pm
Mr Moritz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What about heavy concrete blocks around boat. Have to the move the blocks to get at the boat. Would need some sort of equipment so you could move the blocks yourself. Winch or something?

Would be too much like hard work for the usual low life. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 7:31pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The thing is  - as mentioned before (Steps), stealing boats is probably not opportunist - rather more likely stolen to order. So unlike a lot of burgs, reasonably well planned and scoped in advance. So if it comes to simply defeating regular Super Cheap burglar defenses, you are probably going to loose if they want your boat. Nasty dogs, security cameras, 4 T diggers etc prob beyond their scope - move to easier targets like locked hitches etc.
I am lucky - we leave our stuff out unattended all year. Guys leave their rods in boats most of summer (NOT ME - I value them). But generally untouched. But seems like a different world in the big cities. Gangs.  Sounds like it needs to be locked in a shed out of sight, or well guarded. Too many scum bags. Son told me stolen boats listed every week these days, near most days, on FB or whatever.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 8:46pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I used to work in the security industry securing commercial and retail businesses. We used to openly tell people that if the pros come there is nothing much you can do. You however deter them with lights, locks, barriers, gates, dogs and cameras. Most crooks are lazy and they are likely to go elsewhere for easier pickings. The aforementioned measures also serves to delay them stealing your pride and joy, so there is an increased risk of them getting caught. The longer the list of deterrents the more chance they will either not try, get spooked during the attempted theft, or simply give up. A removable (lockable) heavy duty bollard in front of the boat isnt a bad idea either. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 2:12pm
smelli View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Titahi Titahi wrote:

I use one of these..... Trailer Helmet Hitch

Padlock slides up under neath through two rings, holding the unit over the towball,  you cant get at the padlock, as its recessed.

where you buy this one from mate?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=717361
Page  12>