Mercury 2004 15HP 2 stroke oil leak??

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LemonSqueezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mercury 2004 15HP 2 stroke oil leak??
    Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 11:58am
LemonSqueezer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys, first time poster here. 

Ive just recently purchased a 2004 15hp motor.
I viewed the motor and saw it running in a tank of water and decided that i would complete the purchase as the motor seemed good to go.

Ive gotten home after a couple hours of driving to find a bit of oily crap leaking out of the exhaust below the water telltale 
Ive also found it is leaking oil from the bottom if the prop. not a lot but some. 

The guy assured me that it has been serviced, new impeller, leg oil, thermostat and all that but i am yet to check for myself as ive literally only just got it.

I got it home and chucked it into a tank of water and it runs like a "dream", starts first pull, idles nicely, a little bit smoky but im thinking thats maybe because it hasn't been used much in the past year and its a 2 stroke. 

Ive attached pictures to show what im talking about

Any help would be appreciated.     
Cheers, G

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snapper12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 4:31pm
Snapper12 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If its black oil than dont worry about it.
Could be too much oil in fuel as u say its smoky.
Unburned oil.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 4:47pm
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Ive gotten home after a couple hours of driving to find a bit of oily crap leaking out of the exhaust below the water telltale 
Ive also found it is leaking oil from the bottom if the prop. not a lot but some.

Classic damn I should panic when nothing to panic about..
 I panicked when 1st started to flush my 115 in a drum..
after a full service...
 Then my 150 in the drum even more so, but suspect there was a slight leak in the exhaust tunnel inside the leg... got a full service and think made a slight difference.. maybe.
 Then few weeks before lock down sons 40hp tohusa (?) he got a drum same thing .. quite a bit actually.. Was due for a service, serviced and issue checked , still does it...

This happens when run in a drum.. there is a prop thru exhaust vent. When the boat is in the open water there is heaps of room for the exhaust gases including oils to move away from the prop.. and when moving even more so.
 Drop in a drum and the wall of the drum is close t the end of the prop exhaust vent.. this causes just enough back pressure in the exhaust system leg for oils to condense and look as if leaking everywhere.
 Its normal

Head down to your local outboard service agent .. doesnt matter what brand and they will say this as well.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LemonSqueezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 7:13am
Bronze
Bronze

Ok that’s great news! I’ll take it for a good boat when this wind calms down and hopefully there’s no dramas.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LemonSqueezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 1:48pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys, trying to replace oil seal. Is it possible to get the bearing out without some sort of special tool?

I’m guessing behind this is the rubber seal? I’ve already received replacement parts

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MacSkipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 2:52pm
MacSkipper View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by LemonSqueezer LemonSqueezer wrote:

Hey guys, trying to replace oil seal. Is it possible to get the bearing out without some sort of special tool?

I’m guessing behind this is the rubber seal? I’ve already received replacement parts

Should not be able to see bearing like that?  Would be in water and rust out very quickly, prop, washer/spacer, seal, bearing, gearbox - if leaking will need to replace gearbox oil as will have water in it - suggest you get it looked at sooner rather than later as gearbox may still be ok but not for long...
Good fishing trip nothing breaks, great trip catch fish.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote offcut1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 5:40pm
offcut1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

https://youtu.be/sGXTkRoumgk

This might be of help. This guys channel has been pretty handy for me.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LemonSqueezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 10:20pm
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by offcut1 offcut1 wrote:

https://youtu.be/sGXTkRoumgk

This might be of help. This guys channel has been pretty handy for me.

Yeah I’ve been watching lots of his videos lately. Mercs seem to be different to most.... main issue is getting this metal seal out. I may have to tap tap at it with a flathead to maybe try get it to come out
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 11:12pm
RC1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Need a special tool to remove the bearing carrier. You can see the two slots where the tool installs into. Once its unscrewed you can easily remove and replace the seal. Easy with the correct tool.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LemonSqueezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 9:54am
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by RC1 RC1 wrote:

Need a special tool to remove the bearing carrier. You can see the two slots where the tool installs into. Once its unscrewed you can easily remove and replace the seal. Easy with the correct tool.

Mmmm bugger. Well today I’m going to try drill and get screws into it so I can try pry it out
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2020 at 8:23pm
RC1 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

It wont pry out, it is threaded in and it's a left hand thread. You need to turn it to the right to unscrew the carrier from the gear housing. Lots of fun without the tool.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LemonSqueezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2020 at 9:44pm
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by RC1 RC1 wrote:

It wont pry out, it is threaded in and it's a left hand thread. You need to turn it to the right to unscrew the carrier from the gear housing. Lots of fun without the tool.

Any tips? 😅

Anybody have one of these tools that I could borrow? Will pay in beers 🍻
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Durban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 11:35am
Durban View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Did you order new bearings as well .Get propane gas you may need it to slightly heat it .You can make a tool cut a disc from steel ,then cut the center for the shaft to go through determine where the tool locks its either in 2 opposite holes or againts 2 opposite lobes ,pick the centers up and drill 2 hols in the disc to suit weld some studs in or bolt them in then weld a handle on .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 10:07am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

going backwards...Why do you think the seal is leaking?
Have you checked the gear box oil for any discolouration or filings

When in a the drum as I mentioned previously, you get backpressure and the oil drops out of the exhaust  vapours.. 
If the trim is up a little, you can get a bit of a pool of oil in the housing behind the prop.

Im not convinced that you have a seal issue.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2020 at 10:36am
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Steps Steps wrote:

going backwards...Why do you think the seal is leaking?
Have you checked the gear box oil for any discolouration or filings

When in a the drum as I mentioned previously, you get backpressure and the oil drops out of the exhaust  vapours.. 
If the trim is up a little, you can get a bit of a pool of oil in the housing behind the prop.

Im not convinced that you have a seal issue.
exactly what mine does in the drum,looks bad but when finished ,I give the leg a wipe and no oil dripping out.