Question about Catch Reels

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NewbFisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about Catch Reels
    Posted: 31 May 2020 at 6:47pm
NewbFisher View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys,

Tried searching on Google and the Forum. Didn’t find anything (admittedly the term “catch reel” returned unrelated posts).

I’ve felt the rods in store and like them but how do the reels hold up? Say against something like Accurate or Ocea Jiggers? I don’t really want to spend another 800 dollars for a reel when I could buy a heavy jig set up for the same amount from Catch.

Any good/bad experiences?

Cheers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 8:09pm
BananaBoat View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

bump this post up

any answers on the bros question ?

I'm looking at getting either the 2000 or 3000 size reel for a kingi setup on my kayak
No info online.
Anyone got anything to say on these reels
They are a nice small size reel with a stack of drag on em… just no review on them that I could find
Where they are selling, sales dude says get one of these
Means nothing to me without a online review
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smelli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 7:35pm
smelli View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Contact irwoody on the forum here and ask him about them as I saw him post about how happy he was with his catch rod and reel so he can give you some info about it.
cheers
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=717361
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 10:08pm
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks mate
I gave up looking for a review, which should have been easy to find

Similar budget allows me to choose between the Andros or Metaloid, both close enough specs plus first choice has 10yr warranty, other is 5yr... pretty good to me
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 11:03am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What size Metaloid? The 5's are only reliable up to about 6kg of drag, still plenty for 99% of rods that "match" them nicely though.

I dunno about the Catch reels. I'm fairly certain they're a chinese copy/clone/variation of the Taiwanese jigging reels (JM/Maxel) which makes them quite expensive for what they are.

I'm kinda stuck for high-end lever drags nowadays. I have gone off the Talica; we have a couple of them and they perform really well but they corrode like nobody's business if you put the tiniest nick in the anodising, especially as compared to my Metaloid which has literally been to the bottom of the sea and back and doesn't have a spot of corrosion on it.

The Okuma Makaira and Penn Torques are tough but agricultural. Accurates kinda in this category as well.

Honestly my pick of the bunch these days would probably be Maxel, but they are pretty damn pricey.

If you go for an Andros make sure it's an Andros-A; the revised version.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 11:45am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Dont forget Poseidon reels, true dual drag and silky smooth. Full servicing here in NZ and half price of some Shimano, Accurate, Daiwa models
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 4:58pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Get a Penn leverdrag for livebait
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 4:11pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

What size Metaloid? The 5's are only reliable up to about 6kg of drag

what does this mean - 6kg reliable drag, specs says rated to 11kg

To paint the picture
Inner Waitemata harbour & Manukau over summer, a good king would be tops around 15kg mark, give or take
(never caught a king in my kayak yet)
Alot of that ground is basically muddy banks
So really looking for something small & light weight

Thanks for heads up on the Andros - A, didn't know about that,
thought the latest builds might have been that version anyway, unless theres old stock flicked off as good value by not advertising the A version
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 4:16pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

Thought about that mate....
What's your go to setup for kings in your yak
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 5:01pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by BananaBoat BananaBoat wrote:

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

What size Metaloid? The 5's are only reliable up to about 6kg of drag

what does this mean - 6kg reliable drag, specs says rated to 11kg

To paint the picture
Inner Waitemata harbour & Manukau over summer, a good king would be tops around 15kg mark, give or take
(never caught a king in my kayak yet)
Alot of that ground is basically muddy banks
So really looking for something small & light weight

Thanks for heads up on the Andros - A, didn't know about that,
thought the latest builds might have been that version anyway, unless theres old stock flicked off as good value by not advertising the A version

They turn into a pepper grinder if you go too high above that level of drag. I pulled one apart and wrote lots about it a few years back, here:
https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/reelguts-okuma-metaloid-5ns-a-c-bearing-mod_topic117194_post1632743.html
Basically the pinion bearing can't handle the lateral load.

In a kayak over a muddy bottom though 6kg might be plenty of workable drag. Presumably you're limited in how much hurt you can put on a fish anyway. I run my Kingfish setups around 12kg of drag but that's often over a pretty gnarly bottom, and most fish (10-15kg kinda thing) will only make one run at that level of drag.

Yes, many of the "cheap" Andros' are the originals, which are nice reels but also fundamentally the same as a Metaloid, just with an instant anti-reverse and better gear tolerances. Off the top of my head the "A" has twin drag arrangement.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BananaBoat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 8:48pm
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

curious - are you running mono on your livie setup

in the old days, a tld15 was the go-to reel of choice for a light weight kingi setup
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 2:47pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

some Auck stores have the Jig Star Ninja combo with Maxel Sea Lion reel for under $1000.
The Sea Lion reel is a genuine twin drag with same internal guts as the more expensive Transformer reels and the Ninja rod needs no introduction.  
This sub $1000 combo is about as good as it gets for a fraction of the cost of more exotic combos.  
PM me for more info.

give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Chutneykiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2020 at 8:38am
Chutneykiwi View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

few months late but check out Glen Cox you tube channel for catch gear mate and in particular his latest videos.

He also sells catch gear.

his youtube channel is

GC jetski Fishing.

He has caught a few fish and put them through their paces as well.

Ive only just bought the SP3000 catch reel and soft bait rod.

Had no issues at all and had some good sized snapper on them, however still early days.

I fish off a ski
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2020 at 1:16pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Chutneykiwi Chutneykiwi wrote:

few months late but check out Glen Cox you tube channel for catch gear mate and in particular his latest videos.

He also sells catch gear.

his youtube channel is

GC jetski Fishing.

He has caught a few fish and put them through their paces as well.

Ive only just bought the SP3000 catch reel and soft bait rod.

Had no issues at all and had some good sized snapper on them, however still early days.

I fish off a ski

Glen is a regular poster on these forums, his username is Coxie
Best gurnard fisherman in my street