Lake Rotoiti In June

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Maydogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lake Rotoiti In June
    Posted: 14 May 2020 at 5:01pm
Maydogg View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey team,

Just wanting to get an idea of how I should approach fishing in Rotoiti at the start of June. Staying on the northern side of the lake.

Fished there in the warmer months with great success jigging around some of the southern cliffs/ bays.

I have done a bit of reading and it seems that most techniques will work at that time - jigging/ shallow trolling and harling. As it gets darker the trout move into the shallows.

I have a couple of rods setup for jigging - I don't have the classic weighted lines with alveys for trolling or harling.
Can I just use my little setups I use for jigging for shallow trolling and harling? (light gear with spin/ baitcaster)

I have a selection of smelt flies/ wooly buggers/ Tassie Devils and Kilwell lures

Any help with locations/ techniques and times would be great as taking a couple of people down who haven't caught a trout before so be keen to get them onto one!

Cheers,
Jason
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2020 at 8:14am
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A very well known local landed 50 trout jigging during the day yesterday so i would probably focus on that style of fishing. Fish are where you find them and they do move around - i am reasonably successful int he warmer months but must admit i havent fished in june much - but heading down in two weeks.  I trust you have a good sounder - look for smelt schools anywhere between 12-30m - locals say maybe better shallower end of that range at this time. Smelt flies your best bet. Nothing wrong with harling early on with baitcasters etc either - whatever works. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Maydogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 11:06am
Maydogg View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Cheers for that Red.

Yep - got a Lowrance HDS7 which works well. I could spot little smelt schools and trout shapes around the edge easily.

OK - some good things to think about - over new years they were holding at that deeper range for sure and using those pre-made 3 fly jig sets.
Interesting that the wooly bugger patterns on the end got the better fish over the smelt patterns.

What would you do in terms of a rig setup for harling with the spin/ bait caster rods?

Jason
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 12:23pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Harling i use my fly rod - fast sinking flyline and 6m 10lb trace with smelt fly on end.
If just have mono then maybe use a black gold yoby or spotted gold tassie devil -not up with best colours here sorry - but would look at tieing a dropper abover lure with a smelt fly to have best of both worlds
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Maydogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 1:20pm
Maydogg View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Awesome thanks mate

I've got all that stuff, so should be able to give it a good crack. I usually pop into the Outdoorsman to have a yarn and chat colours also :)

Looking forward to getting down there!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Waylander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 1:44pm
Waylander View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Outdoorsman has recently closed its doors unfortunately. Hamil's is a good place for some local knowledge in Rotorua. Grey Ghosts are still picking up plenty of fish in a jig set up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Redfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 2:03pm
Redfinger View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I was due down Monday but weather is packing it in now - might try later next week. Working now and of course its less than 5 knots until Monday @!#^%$&!!