Seared Bonito and Sushi

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seared Bonito and Sushi
    Posted: 13 May 2020 at 4:50pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 5:35pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Excellent vid there Al.
Makes me feel ashamed for using them as bait.
However I used trevalky as bait, now it's sashimi of the best kind, we are always able to grow and learn.

Got to have respect for the skills, techniques, tools and care of there food.

Got to get me those knives and learn those skills.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 8:51pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well said Mattoo. Next one I catch will end up as sashimi. Also love trevally sashimi/kokonda/ceviche.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 11:19pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have no first hand experiences of preparing and / or eating skipjack tuna however the vid showed no footage of the fish being bleed as one would normally do to a tuna you planned to eat.    
The final result looks good for a product that perhaps was not caught with the intention of being served as sashimi or sushi. Bleeding the fish immediately after capture I imagine improves it's edible qualities.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 8:32am
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

The final result looks good for a product that perhaps was not caught with the intention of being served as sashimi or sushi.

From experience, any fish making it to the Japanese domestic market for consumption would have been very well treated from the point of catch. So the intention is to present it in the state that would be fit for sashimi.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 3:22pm
Platinum
Platinum

Keith the point I was trying to make (perhaps poorly) was that the skipjack may have been destined for the canning market rather that the street market and that may have been why it didn't appear to have been bleed.
I agree with your comment though, fish destined for the sashimi market are treated with great respect and care.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 4:10pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fish Addict,
True you couldn't see it.
It would never be for the canned market on a Japanese boat.
Or Japanese intended market.
It would of been bleed prior to the first shot of them going on the conveyor.

The question for me is if they used as well iki ame, think I got that right.
It's the wire down the spine.

Now that technique I'd like to learn.
Matt Watson has been done a vid on a snapper.
It's a huge improver of meat.

Now a teaching hands on seminar would be a goer.
I'd like to learn that skill for a variety of fish.

Who knows Matt Watson to ask him if he'd do a hands own teaching seminar.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 8:02pm
Platinum
Platinum

Mattoo the fish on the conveyor show no signs of being bleed by making a cut slightly back from the pectoral fins. Perhaps they are bleed by some other means but there appear to be no visible incisions into the fish that I can see. Also when the head was removed I thought there was more blood around than what I anticipated.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 8:32am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah I know what you mean.
Would be good to know because that meat when filleted did look like it had no obvious strong bloodline.