Soft bait fishing at anchor

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soft bait fishing at anchor
    Posted: 08 May 2020 at 8:24pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i'm not sure if NZ's snapper are the same species as those in Western Australia - from memory, I think they may be a sub-species, whereas the snapper on Australia's east coast are the same species as ours.

Anyway, I've been intrigued watching this guy's videos targeting 'pinkies' in WA. He anchors near a reef, sets up a berley trail, and fishes softbaits in the rod holder - a big 7" shad, WA-made Abrolhos paddle tail, or Berkley Powerbait Nemesis on a 1/6oz TT Lures jighead, just wafting in the trail.
He gets some BIG snapper.

As we know, drifting and casting, or dropping and dragging, is the most common method. But if this guy's success is anything to go by...

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Motorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 9:08pm
Motorhead View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

i'm not sure if NZ's snapper are the same species as those in Western Australia - from memory, I think they may be a sub-species, whereas the snapper on Australia's east coast are the same species as ours.

Anyway, I've been intrigued watching this guy's videos targeting 'pinkies' in WA. He anchors near a reef, sets up a berley trail, and fishes softbaits in the rod holder - a big 7" shad, WA-made Abrolhos paddle tail, or Berkley Powerbait Nemesis on a 1/6oz TT Lures jighead, just wafting in the trail.
He gets some BIG snapper.

As we know, drifting and casting, or dropping and dragging, is the most common method. But if this guy's success is anything to go by...

I have caught some large snapper, kahawai etc softbaiting at anchor. The kids and the wife are not fans of softbaiting so a compromise is burley and bait for them and I soft bait. Soft bait catches the larger fish 90% of the time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 9:32pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Sure, why not? If the fish are biting, then a softie in front of their nose will catch fish, but I'd imagine it is dependent on a good berley trail. My fishing buddy and I catch a lot of snapper from a stationary boat. A Minn Kota rather than an anchor is used to keep the boat in the same spot, nice and quiet! No berley, but we are finding the fish and "anchoring" over the top of them. Admittedly, we are mostly using jigs, but occasionally softies. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 9:42pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You are correct, the WA snapper are a sub-species and slower growing than their NZ cousins. Our waters don't carry the same amount of nutrients and food as yours.
Our snapper fishery just gets better especially since the known spawning areas are now closed to fishing over the spawning period and snapper are also on the protected list from recreational anglers for 3 months leading up to the spawn. The com sector were moved on 10+ years ago other than I think a few who are permitted to line fish.
Fish are measured from the nose to the tip of the tail over here, I've never really understood that, measuring to the V in the tail would be much simpler.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 9:00am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep SB at anchor.. its basically the same as stray line back to reef, gut whatever.
 Go for both..  always hedge bets.

Same casting into, around or behind a boil up, lures and SB.. actually found sbs far better than lures.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 9:26am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

You are correct, the WA snapper are a sub-species and slower growing than their NZ cousins. Our waters don't carry the same amount of nutrients and food as yours.
Our snapper fishery just gets better especially since the known spawning areas are now closed to fishing over the spawning period and snapper are also on the protected list from recreational anglers for 3 months leading up to the spawn. The com sector were moved on 10+ years ago other than I think a few who are permitted to line fish.
Fish are measured from the nose to the tip of the tail over here, I've never really understood that, measuring to the V in the tail would be much simpler.

Very interesting, thanks for that input. Great to hear things are improving all the time. Looks like a good lure fishery in WA, and the dhufish in WA seem to be great target on softbaits too. Kind of like a giant fat Tarakihi. That guy often tries for kingies in the shallows too. 

I do chuckle when I see Aussies measuring to the tip of the tail. With bigger fish, it looks like you can take off 6-7cm to get the V measure. But they are still very nice fish this guy is hooking. he's pretty basic in his method - chucks in last night's roast chicken carcass etc for berley, and mostly leaves his rods in the holders (another curiosity for me, watching snapper fishos over there in Vic etc- waiting for a "buckle").
But they certainly get their share, and some of the snaps in SA are absolute giants. They seem to grow longer in Australia, but not as fat?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 11:18am
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I softbait at anchor regularly over summer and it is no different in success than drifting, and even better than drifting if the fish are not spread out over a large area and sitting on the edge of large foul or on top of smaller foul. Long casts and slow erratic retrieves are the key, as well as casting thru sectors around the boat. Hook a fish and put your next cast back in the same area and regularly into another.
Lets you still cover a large area without disturbing the fish to much, without drawing the attention of the hoardes of idiots that infest the bay.
Also means that I can go a lighter head for the depth(30-40m+) and get a longer sinktime.
It is pointless however if the fish are on baitschools over the sand/mud as they are too mobile, or spread out over a very large area
Part time Devils Advocate, Fulltime procrastinator
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 11:21am
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have never softbaited at anchor, but have had good success at anchor casting and retrieving kabura,and using 6-8 kg mono as well to achieve success.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Troutzilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2020 at 6:26pm
Troutzilla View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Had a great session with my nephews out west a couple easters back, we parked up on the Minn Kota over some low foul in about 12m of water.
We munched up a couple of skippy frames we had caught the day before and fished light jig heads casting long and working back towards the boat along the bottom.

As well as a dozen nice snapper to 6 kilo we landed 4 JDs. The first time we've ever caught johnnies out west. So yep it's definitely worth a crack I reckon.
It aint no use if it aint chartreuse!