FC 635 vs Surtees 610

Page  <1234>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 4:23pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

Originally posted by Joker Joker wrote:

The welding quality on my 2 purchased FC boats is/was superb and many people out in the boat have commented just how good it is. Paul Senior was one of the first to comment on how good it was.

Regarding the passive live bait tank commented on previously - I dont know what the concerns are. The tank works superbly without any external plumbing nor associated battery draw. We keep up to 70 mackerel alive all day and the adjustable venturi tap allows plenty of water intake whilst on the plane with the bung open to really aerate the water and keep the baits lively. I don't see how you can improve on something that simply works really well.

It would be timely to mention that your son (edit: and you?) are apparently sponsored by FC Boats.

No - I paid for both of my boats - full price on the first and a good price on the 2nd. FC made a profit on both boats. The good FC560 purchase price was reflective of buying into an early production model after a test in a prototype which is a lot different to being sponsored.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Joker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 4:27pm
Joker View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by pompey pompey wrote:

Is the 610 Surtees the old 5.8 ? They look small compared to the older ones. If that is the case there may be quite a size difference. Perhaps a Surtees 650 might be a closer comparison?

I met up with another boat for a trip at the BP in Warkworth and had an equivalent sized 4.95 surtees alongside my genuine 5 metre boat an FC500 and honestly the Surtees would have fit inside.

Yes, take a tape measure along with you, some manufacturers take resizing/remeasuring to an artform.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 5:16pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

The welding quality on my 2 purchased FC boats is/was superb and many people out in the boat have commented just how good it is. Paul Senior was one of the first to comment on how good it was.

Regarding the passive live bait tank commented on previously - I dont know what the concerns are. The tank works superbly without any external plumbing nor associated battery draw. We keep up to 70 mackerel alive all day and the adjustable venturi tap allows plenty of water intake whilst on the plane with the bung open to really aerate the water and keep the baits lively. I don't see how you can improve on something that simply works really well.

It would be timely to mention that your son (edit: and you?) are apparently sponsored by FC Boats.

No - I paid for both of my boats - full price on the first and a good price on the 2nd. FC made a profit on both boats.

could you please clarify whether your rose-tinted googles were supplied by FC or you purchased them separately...
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 5:22pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Schampy Schampy wrote:

Rozboon is dead right. The build quality, welding and finish is superior on a Surtees.
Some people dont care. But alot do.
You could argue that the resale of some 2nd had surtees is almost too high.  Paying 65k for a banged up 610 when a new one can be had with electronics and winch for 80k seems nuts.
But what the hell.... Surtees are a great investment. If you buy new , look after her and dont sell the following year you will get alot of ya hard earned tin back.
Whats not to like.

yes, the resale on the moderate sized Surtees appears to be very very good. 

whether they are your favourite or not, this alone makes them a worthy consideration to purchase because theyre not likely to make the whole ownership exercise too expensive.
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 5:33pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Jake as an aside question, have you considered or thought about AMF?
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 5:41pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The 5.8 is the now the 610.
The old 6.1  is now the 650 ( obviously bigger.)
The old 6.1 had good size bunks if you were into overnighting, The new 610 has the same size squabs as the 575..... so you really need bunk extensions if or as it turns out a 70lt Burnsco chilly bin to make it big enough for a 6' man to sleep on.
The  610 has a longer cockpit ,the 650,s is just huge...like fish 6 guys easily.
Wouldnt go any less than a 150 on the back.
My best mate has a 15 year old 6.1 Barcrusher hes had from new.Was running a 150 v-max on the back which was nearly at 1000 very hard hours.
Hes just put on a new 200 yam 4 Stroke, Which doesnt actually go as well.... Testament to just how ballsy those v6  injected motors really are. My point is that hull is still as good structurally as the day he brought it. Yep sure its got a few scratchs etc but it just  keeps going. We have been out in some seriously nasty sh-t in it and got home safely every time.....Amazingly rugged boat.
Years ago we got badly caught out at the Mokes.... The decision was made to punch it back as weather was only gonna get worse.
3 meter high waves straight on thanks to a massive  Sou wester. It took 4 hours for us to get back to Omaha.... Absolutely buggered.
We were taking so much water over the roof that the bilge pump run the whole way home. This wasnt anything to do with being a wet boat.... Any boat in those conditions would be wet... It was to this day one of the most terrifying trips of my life. The 6.1 just shrugged it off like it was another day in the office. Nothing broke, everything still worked perfectly considering we were underwater half the trip. Amazing. 
Had we been in a center consol.  Forget it. Would of been swamped.     
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 5:52pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

No - I paid for both of my boats - full price on the first and a good price on the 2nd. FC made a profit on both boats.

Sponsorship doesn't mean a free ride, it just means you got "a deal" that isn't available to the average purchaser with some expectation that you will promote whatever you got a deal on.

And based on the below, at the very least your son is sponsored by them?

Personally I find astroturfing (google it) pretty distasteful. Even if you genuinely believe everything about the boat is the ducks nuts (which I'm sure you do) you should be disclosing the fact that you got hooked up to some extent on the boat.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 6:12pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fair call Robozon, looks like sponsorship to me... and I’d argue probably biased.
I’m not sponsored but know 5 meter stabi that would easily outperform above boats mentioned in real rough water. Why Matt Watson and Fishing News were both using them on a recent rerun show... or more probably cause they were both sponsored by stabicraft.
But as said before it really come down to what your into... I used to like trying to fish against really big boats in tournaments for marlin offshore. Now, not so much, and starting to appreciate vessels with more comfort when  fishing and general cruising, over just staying alive see keeping ability, which my stabi has in spades. 
Welds on my boat are 19 years old never had a problem and as good as new. Boat is overbuilt with 10 mm keel strip added aftermarket in its early years by an accredited stabi welder at insistence of dealer who sold it to me. Was only one in Auckland from memory. But that’s how you build an international brand.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 6:45pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Jake as an aside question, have you considered or thought about AMF?

Dear I say it without incurring the wrath of there staunch fan club.....They could do with a bit of an update.
I mean bait tank in the outboard pod is soooooo 2004.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 7:46pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

AMF are a fine built heavy duty boat. And I would say from observation of boats have seen, excellent welding (not that I could weld or know anything about it) apart from knowing what ugly looks like. Like  some stuff seen at boat shows that looks terrible and can probably ground off to look part, but clearly too much bother,  or maybe once done can’t be undone without compromise.  Who among your average boat buyer knows, but clearly some are not to as high a standard.

I like AMF , one best fisherman I know has one... and was highly selective in choosing. It’s an 8 meter non hardtop inboard diesel powered machine. So fast I only see him leaving and back inside.
 If you’ve seen their promotional vid they are not only showing they can build a good boat they are trying to prove it ... not many marques do that... not like a big extreme driving round on a calm sea... who knows could be ok in rough , but nah, not really consistent with a lot of the feedback.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 8:17pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Jake, you know what your existing boat has been thru, and she got you and your crew home with some nice fish. The man with the gold pays, just make sure you sea trial before you buy, you know what the surtees is
Ike.
Give us a call, the 5.8 gamefisher is excellent for us.
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 10:14pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Schampy Schampy wrote:

The 5.8 is the now the 610.
The old 6.1  is now the 650 ( obviously bigger.)
The old 6.1 had good size bunks if you were into overnighting, The new 610 has the same size squabs as the 575..... so you really need bunk extensions if or as it turns out a 70lt Burnsco chilly bin to make it big enough for a 6' man to sleep on.
The  610 has a longer cockpit ,the 650,s is just huge...like fish 6 guys easily.
Wouldnt go any less than a 150 on the back.
My best mate has a 15 year old 6.1 Barcrusher hes had from new.Was running a 150 v-max on the back which was nearly at 1000 very hard hours.
Hes just put on a new 200 yam 4 Stroke, Which doesnt actually go as well.... Testament to just how ballsy those v6  injected motors really are. My point is that hull is still as good structurally as the day he brought it. Yep sure its got a few scratchs etc but it just  keeps going. We have been out in some seriously nasty sh-t in it and got home safely every time.....Amazingly rugged boat.
Years ago we got badly caught out at the Mokes.... The decision was made to punch it back as weather was only gonna get worse.
3 meter high waves straight on thanks to a massive  Sou wester. It took 4 hours for us to get back to Omaha.... Absolutely buggered.
We were taking so much water over the roof that the bilge pump run the whole way home. This wasnt anything to do with being a wet boat.... Any boat in those conditions would be wet... It was to this day one of the most terrifying trips of my life. The 6.1 just shrugged it off like it was another day in the office. Nothing broke, everything still worked perfectly considering we were underwater half the trip. Amazing. 
Had we been in a center consol.  Forget it. Would of been swamped.     

In a CC run with it?  Lee shore around the Mokes?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 11:56pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Re: Surtees size - I saw an Innovision 585 pull up at the boat ramp next to a Surtees 575. It made the Surtees look like a bath toy. I've nothing against Surtees, may even end up buying one, just interesting to note.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 7:34am
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Surtees measure hull length from the rear of the boarding platform to the front of the bowsprit. Big overhangs as well. My C17 has a waterline length of 4.5m on a 5m hull. You’d need to get a 5.5m Surtees for the same afaik.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote treedoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 9:50am
treedoc View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

The 650 is the same LOA as the FC635.

I sea trialled a few boats when I was in the market a few years ago, in the 5.5m range.

I chose not to purchase an FC based on my assessment of the build quality of the hull and trailer. I asked for a sea trial (rather than a river trial), but wasn't allowed to take it out of the harbour for 'insurance reasons', so didn't really get a fair assessment of it in sea conditions.

Ended up buying something else and am happy with my decision.

My main fishing buddy has a 5.5 workmate, I have done a lot of hours in it and probably would have bought one except he had one.

Joker has been pushing FC boats on here for ages, I suspect he is a bit biased
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2020 at 6:34pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

[QUOTE=MightyBoosh]Reading with interest. Please keep the comments coming. Surtees and FC are on my shortlist, but behind Innovision. I was planning to pull the trigger at the boat show, but no rush now. [/QUOTE

Agree Innovision  look awesome...
Been to White Island couple of times (was calm) and spent fair bit of time on a 5.5 surtees. Impression was a good  sea boat and was well powered with a  90 Honda.
The  older 6.1 Surtees hulls with about 150 horse power go great from what I‘ve seen ... and I’m a biased stabi owner.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 9:30am
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

All great input. I own a 5.5 surtees that's taken me everywhere up here and has gotten us home in the worst possible conditions. 2m breaking chop 35knotts side on. Scary we were only at the ruahine so wasn't to far to get home.   I must try one of these FC boats
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jakepitsville Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 9:35am
jakepitsville View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Also I am extremely BIAS towards Surtees. I'm happy to hear from all including people who may or may not.be bias or sponsored. The more for the discussion the better.

So far what I have learnt is surtees should have better build and. Those who have there FC love them as much as surtees owners. I am yet to really understand the major handling differences with the different deadrise
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2020 at 7:19pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

i'm playing around in the toy boat size compared to you boys, but am an FC owner. I'm not an engineer type person, so the look of welds doesn't worry me, particularly not hidden ones - as long as they hold together over a long period of time, does how nicely finished a weld is that you can't see really matter?
Re-sell isn't something that i worried about much, as I intend to hold on to my boat for quite some time.

It doesn't take Einstein to look at the shapes of the two boats you're considering to imagine that they will cut through the water differently, and sit differently at rest - despite both having some level of flooding.
It appears from what others have said in threads which have discussed various boat sizes in the past couple of years that these two makes have different levels of dryness, again due to hull design.
I concur that looking at the supposed length comparisons is disappointing from a Surtees perspective. But you just have to compensate by going a step up to get the correct comparison with other makes. 

anyway, here's a magazine review that you might find worth adding to your knowledge bank, particularly in terms of the ride, if you haven't seen it alredy.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 8:43am
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Never liked that massive skirt that FC has put around the shear line. Yep... I get  how it works, increases walk around and frontal area and generally does a great job. But it looks pretty average IMHO.
Surtees are no doubt wetter, but its not excessive and anyway if ya got a hard top who cares... just hit the wiper.
Funnily enough I find in glass calm conditions is when a Surtees feels least efficent.
Sure it still rides perfectly fine....But they feel like they are pushing water a bit.
Add a bit of chop though and they simply just come into there own and carve it up.
Page  <1234>